Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Has anyone here done a CM for stompin at the savoy. I just heard a few versions on youtube and it looks like fun.

Sailor

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

sailor, i do "savoy" as a CM. give me a few days, i'll get it up here.

That would be great Mr. B.! Looking forward to it, hope it's not too hard or "outside".

Sailor

User Info Menu

Stompin on the saveloy! sorry couldn't resist. Would love a copy Mr B.

User Info Menu

Good tune....I play it Kenny Burrell style...from the album "A Generation Ago Today"...check it out...great tunes on it...pierre

User Info Menu

I agree, fun tune, and one I have on my list to work up. I have been wiping the dust off my Christmas tunes in preparation of the upcoming season. White Christmas and The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...) are up and running. Am looking for an arrangement of Christmast Time Is Here, from the Charlie Brown cartoons. Anyone seen such?

User Info Menu

Chord style a la Burrell (from his christmas album)...also I'll Be Home For Christmas...mod swing...melody doubles the time value as the rest swings at tempo...pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    I agree, fun tune, and one I have on my list to work up. I have been wiping the dust off my Christmas tunes in preparation of the upcoming season. White Christmas and The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...) are up and running. Am looking for an arrangement of Christmast Time Is Here, from the Charlie Brown cartoons. Anyone seen such?
    i do that one too...y'all gonna keep me busy! but i'm more than happy to share...should have some free time this weekend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    i do that one too...y'all gonna keep me busy! but i'm more than happy to share...should have some free time this weekend.
    You have "Christmas Time Is Here"? Man, that would be great. Thanks Mr. B!

User Info Menu

oh yeah, i do that one every year. got my annual christmas gig coming up next month ( a private party i've done for a few years) and that one goes over as big as any...

i'll get 'em up here this weekend. i'm gonna do it like it did "embraceable you," melody and chord diagrams.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 11-07-2008 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

The first time I heard Savoy I was watching TV and Al Caiola came on and played it CM style. What a great performance.

I do Christmas Time is Here also but I've got to look through what I have to remember how to play it. It's not that difficult at all to get a nice arrangement. Even the basic chords sound great. When you mess with the chords, you can really add to it but it's also easy to overdo and lose the feel of the song.

User Info Menu

I have the music to it also...played it a few times...that Guraldi cat was hip man...Without A Song goes well with it as a two song medley...all it takes is time on the instrument....pierre...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Mr. B. I just downloaded a nice version of Xmas Time Is Here, arranged by Rich Severson over at Guitar College. It was on their $.99 download page. Though a bit of a misnomer, as I paid $4. Anyway, you don't have to chart it out for me. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I have to say you need to check out some of the versions of Stompin on Youtube. I listened to a few and was highly impressed.

User Info Menu

here's christmastime and savoy. these are simplified a bit, i'll call 'em "chord melody shells." feel free to improvise and change things up.

User Info Menu

and the guaraldi classic...

User Info Menu

i should note--i'm playing around a bit with this "powertab" software...gotta figure out how to save 'em as a .pdf so i'm not just posting scans...i'm kind of computer dumb...

not a big fan of tab, but it can be useful to show the exact positions of things...whattya all think of this stuff?

User Info Menu

Awsome, thanks man!

I suppose if you can't get powertab as a .pdf... if all fits onto one page you can take a screenshot of it.

User Info Menu

Way to go Mr. B. Is that all there is to Xmas time is here? I could only remember the A section.

Thanks much Mr. B!

Sailor

User Info Menu

Thanks Mr. B. Those will help out a great deal. I also am not a big fan of tab but I will take advantage of it to find out what part of the neck is being used. That helps in not having to reinvent the wheel countless times.

User Info Menu

Thanks a bunch!

User Info Menu

you're all welcome.

and yeah john, that's pretty much it. A A B A structure...what a great tune.