The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    You're right. Another excellent album. Cal is certainly among my favourite guitarists.

You mentioned Kenny Poole above. Great player too. I am certain that you already know that he was in the line-up of Cal Collins's very first (Milestone) and very last (S'us Four) albums.
    Yes, Sir. I have both records in my collection. Kenny and Cal came from the Cincinnati area and apparently knew each other well. From what I understand "Milestones" was technically not Cal's first album as it was just a personal recording made by a friend during a local concert and released many years after that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by a22
    Nice idea for a thread, most of the suggestions are not really 'new' or 'modern' in a sense. Can anyone recommend some really modern solo jazz guitar? Sorry I don't have nothing to contribute
    Is this modern enough?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lang
    @ Spalo,

Although it is written in the liner notes of Barney Kessel's "Solo" album (Concord, 1981) that "this is the only unaccompanied solo recording Barney has ever made", that statement is not accurate...

While he was in Japan in 1977, BK recorded four excellent albums that were only released, I think, in Japan. Two are on the label called Trio, one is on Lob, and the other one, "By Myself", is on Victor (SPX-1042). All four of them worth looking for. (Two are trio albums -- guitar, bass, drums -- and one is trio + a female vocalist.)

Here is the track list:
    Side A:
    1. I Can't Get Started
    2. Sometimes I'm Happy
    3. Have You Met Miss Jones
    4. That Old Feeling
    5. Once I Loved
    6. Blue Moon

Side B
    1. Georgia On My Mind
    2. Yesterdays
    3. Stompin' At The Savoy
    4. Watch What Happens
    5. What A Diff'renceA Day Made
    6. Samba De Orfeu
    Thanks for that - I'd love to get hold of them (I'm a very late convert to Barney K)

Sp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amusiathread
    And if there's a Derek Bailey/Metheny hybrid lovechild out there, that might just be perfect guitar music as far as I'm concerned.
    There is. It's here: Paul Wertico: Derek Bailey, Pat Metheny, Gregg Bendian & Paul Wertico - The Sign Of 4

Very cool! Thanks for the recommendation, I'll be purchasing that disc immediately.

I love traditional and conventional jazz styles, but occasionally, I get the mood to explore something really mind-bending. This should really do the trick.

User Info Menu

Like a22 said, lots of good suggestions here, but nothing very modern or very far departed from tradition. Guess I was looking for something a bit more...edgy. or stylishly atonal (I guess Metheny's One Quiet Night isn't a great example of edgy, but I enjoy how unlikely some of it sounds). I'm not really after dazzling technical feats, either, just different. The kind of thing where you say "this isn't for everybody, but it's very interesting".

Any suggestions along those lines?
    I always mention the guy, but Peter Bernstein tops my list for solo guitar. He doesn't have an album, but you can always go on the Smalls club website and listen to his audio archives, he has about 10 shows worth of material to listen to. He's the most tasteful player in my opinion, and you should listen to his group stuff as well as solo stuff.
    Andreas Oberg is another young guy, he has a solo album, Solo, which is quite creative.
    Mimi Fox also has some good stuff, not a full album of solo guitar, but always includes a few tracks of herself in there. Perpetually Hip has about 5 tunes or more of solo stuff.
    There's also Joe Diorio, who has a bunch of solo albums. The guy is a huge fan of really open lines. Metheny got a lot of stuff from this guy when he was in Miami. He's not as modern as much guys, but he opened up the door for a lot of players in terms of modernity, lots of large interval stuff.
    Then lastly, there's Peter Mazza. I'm not sure if he has a solo album or not, but he is probably the most inventive out of all the people I've heard. He can do so much I don't even like how he plays, but the things he can do, technically and theoretically, are just out of my mind completely. He has a bunch of videos on youtube. More notably, he has Stella By Starlight and Body and Soul. He plays Stella as a slow rubato piece, and places so many chord substitutions in the piece that there's not beat left without a chord, a different chord. Then there's Body and Soul where he plays, again, by himself, as a bossa feel, keeping rhythm, adding tons of subs, and plays the melody.

I suggest you listen to all these guys.

User Info Menu

Maybe Ken Hatfield and John Stowell?

Also, if you Like Metheny's non-solo material, but would like to hear it played as a solo guitar, "Images of Metheney" by Jason Vieaux.
    Last edited by Chrome; 07-25-2012 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Listen to my sologuitarplaying on

Goran Lindelow

User Info Menu

All Jim Hall and Bill Frisell solo pieces .
    Those albums are not really in solo context because of the overdubs but they are all about guitar ...

Jim Hall inspirations and dedications
    Bill Frisell gost town, Masada guitars .
    John Mc Laughlin my goals beyond
    Pat Metheny New Chautauqua
    John Abercrombie Characters
    etc...
    and here is the one I know more than others :

iTunes - Musique - Thanks par Philippe Canovas

User Info Menu

Both Peter Mazza and Jonathan Kreisberg have solo albums recorded and coming out soon.

User Info Menu

I do like PMs "One Quiet Night". I enjoy hearing someone take non-jazz forms and make something improvisational and harmonically interesting, without completely losing touch with the original song.

User Info Menu

Solo Guitar by Ted Greene

Ambre - Solo by Sylvain Luc
    Last edited by docbop; 09-29-2012 at 01:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Bruno has a great solo guitar album called.... wait for it.... SOLO. Also another thumbs up for Pass and Greene's albums.

User Info Menu

Like a22 said, lots of good suggestions here, but nothing very modern or very far departed from tradition. Guess I was looking for something a bit more...edgy. or stylishly atonal (I guess Metheny's One Quiet Night isn't a great example of edgy, but I enjoy how unlikely some of it sounds). I'm not really after dazzling technical feats, either, just different. The kind of thing where you say "this isn't for everybody, but it's very interesting".

Any suggestions along those lines?
    i know the Derek Bailey Ballads was already suggested...

What about Marc Ribot Silent Movies or Saints. both solo and fantastic stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ralph towner---time line

my favorite solo guitar disc of all time
    Yep I'll second that

User Info Menu

Also Nelson Veras plays some beautiful solo guitar.

User Info Menu

This is a great thread for me since I am from Cincinnati and knew both Cal Collins and Kenny Poole. Cal was of course not as active during the period being much older so it was always a special treat when he came out.

Kenny played once a week in a restaurant I worked at for quite a while so I became very familiar with his repertoire. Kind of sad though that a world-class solo jazz player had no better prospects than playing for $50 in a small restaurant.

User Info Menu

Many of my favorites already have been mentioned. Here are a few more keepers...

Bucky Pizzarelli -April Kisses
    Frank Vignola -100 years of Django
    Johnny Smith/George Van Eps - Legends
    Jimmy Bruno - Solo
    Martin Taylor - In Concert
    Joe Pass - Songs for Ellen

User Info Menu

Ben Monder.
    Wayne Krantz.
    Lenny Breau 'cabin fever' .
    Bill frisell 'rambler' (although not a solo album, his playing is killer diller on every track)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goranlindelow
    Listen to my sologuitarplaying on

Goran Lindelow
    That sir, was fantastic! You are an amazing player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cano
    All Jim Hall and Bill Frisell solo pieces .
    Those albums are not really in solo context because of the overdubs but they are all about guitar ...

Jim Hall inspirations and dedications
    Bill Frisell gost town, Masada guitars .
    John Mc Laughlin my goals beyond
    Pat Metheny New Chautauqua
    John Abercrombie Characters
    etc...
    and here is the one I know more than others :

iTunes - Musique - Thanks par Philippe Canovas
    cano, you took the list right out of my hands!!
    Marc's Saints CD is also rich with standards by Ellington, Sondheim, Beatles (a solo guitar version of Happiness is a Warm Gun? you bet!) and more. Steve Khan did a solo recording a while back called Evidence, on it you'll find a great Infant Eyes by Wayne Shorter, Monk tunes and standards. Ben Monder's trio recordings all have amazing solo pieces, original and as modern as you can get. And if you ever come across it, Hal Galper's Ivory Forest has a piece Monk's Mood, with John Scofield playing a chord solo. That one's a keeper. Within Jon Kreisberg's recordings you'll find gorgeous examples of solo playing, he does a Stardust on one of them. Bill Connors's Theme To The Guardian is like Ralph Towner meets Bill Frisell. And speaking of which, In Line by Bill Frisell is heart breakingly beautiful as is his Days Of Wine and Roses solo on Is That You.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    I always mention the guy, but Peter Bernstein tops my list for solo guitar. He doesn't have an album, but you can always go on the Smalls club website and listen to his audio archives, he has about 10 shows worth of material to listen to. He's the most tasteful player in my opinion, and you should listen to his group stuff as well as solo stuff.
    He's recently recorded 2 nights of solo performances at Smalls. I'm keeping an eye out for a release date.

User Info Menu

Tuck Andress "Reckless Precision", Michael Hedges "Aerial Boundaries"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ralph towner---time line

my favorite solo guitar disc of all time
    Off topic but maybe you might be interested in hearing that Wolfgang Muthspiel just finished his first ECM recording, a guitar trio, and he's playing with Ralph Towner. They've had this guitar trio as a working band and now Manfred has documented it. Sounds exciting?
    David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Off topic but maybe you might be interested in hearing that Wolfgang Muthspiel just finished his first ECM recording, a guitar trio, and he's playing with Ralph Towner. They've had this guitar trio as a working band and now Manfred has documented it. Sounds exciting?
    David
    Interesting...very!!!!