Likes Likes:  0

User Info Menu

Hi Everybody,
    Can someone help me? I would like to be able to play Embracable You in chord melody. I heard that song today and its melody is haunting me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i do this tune...if you give me a day or two, i'll write it out.

i take it in G.

User Info Menu

Thank You Very Much Kind Sir Mr. Beaumont. I await your reply.

User Info Menu

let's see what this looks like...a little small...i guess save and blow up a little and print...

this is my little shorthand way of writing these out...the chord shapes above refer directly back to the melody...if there's no chord for the melody note, i just play the note, with no chord...i took the chord names mostly from a chart i drew up, so some of them might be a bit debatable as to their exact link as to what i put in the chord diagram...bear with me--i don't have the same technologial capacity as some of our members!

consider this a shell...it's where i start out, but i always end up improvising on this arrangement...there's also a few spots where the chords to the tune don't corrspond to any melody note--i'll leave it up to you to find voicings you might like for those--if you're really stuck, let me know.

happy pickin'

User Info Menu

Mr. B,

Your shorthand method looks pretty cool. I should try it some time. The method I picked up was from my old guitar teacher, where on the leadsheet he would write a code for my fingering of the chord next to the chord name (e.g., r.5 for a typical root on the 5th string fingering). He would also do the same for writing in subs directly on the sheet. When marking single notes to play without harmony, he would mark them in parentheses.

Your method is cool, in that you will never have to try to remember (esp. for tunes that you haven't looked at in a long time) what root 5 fingering you were thinking of when you were working up the shell. Although, you method does require writing out the entire leadsheet.

Thanks,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Thank You Very Much Mr.Beaumont for taking the time to write out the Chord Melody. The beginning sounds really good to my ears. I get stuck however, from your em7 part. The part where you have Cm6 I have never played it or heard it like that it is really pretty. I noticed something else the written melody line is really an octive lower than the melody line in your chord voicings. I am new at this chord melody thing. But i'm picking up things along the way. My ears are not new to Jazz I have listened to all the best growing up as my father and his best friend were Jazz nuts. Everything from Django,Charlie Byrd, Wes Montgomery, Les Paul, Howard Roberts, George Barnes with Bucky Pizzerelli.But myself was into the British Invasion Music of 1964.I am ashamed but I discovered the Blues through the Rolling Stones. In looking at some of the songs that I loved and realized who wrote and played them Muddy Waters,Jimmy Reed, Howlin Wolf, The 3 Kings Albert, BB,and Freddie. So Mr.Beaumont how is it living in the home of the Blues? You have Buddy Guy's place over there. I'm ok with the Blues Chicago Style. Now I have to learn the jazz style of blues.

User Info Menu

glad to hear you're enjoying it...

from the Em7 i go Chord-Note-Chord-note for the next two bars. maybe that'll help.

I've gotta admit, I learned this song from an old jazz cat, a piano player who taught me a lot...the Cm6 was on his handwritten chart and i always just did it that way--i often took his word as gold (rest in peace, joe)

the melody is written an octave lower--for sake of ease in reading...when i get a chart for a tune, i'll usually take the melody up an octave to keep it on the top two strings, or on top of the chord, essentially.

living in chicago means a couple of things--people expect you can play blues, and people think that since they're from chicago that they can play blues. so it gets a little irritating...i love listening to some of the chi-town cats, especially old magic sam, but of course my playing's a little jazzy and subdued for a lot of blues folks up here...

btw, are you familiar with johnny mathis singing this tune on a record called "open fire, two guitars?" MAN OH MAN! talk about haunting...

anyway, glad it's working out for ya--have fun!

User Info Menu

I'm going to work on this tonight, if my eyes can take it!
    Thanks Mr. Beaumont!

Sailor

User Info Menu

Way back in 1955, Barney Kessel did a wonderful version of "Embraceable You" in the key of F. The song was first released on "Barney Kessel, Vol 3: To Swing Or Not To Swing" and was reissued in 2003 on "Barney Kessel Plays For Lovers". He starts the tune out playing the melody (chord-melody) as a solo fingerstyle arrangement with bare fingers. About 2/3 of the way through, the rhythm section joins him and then he takes it home with a great solo played with a plectrum.

Guitar Player Magazine (believe it or not) actually included the arrangement in a tribute to his great career and his passing in an issue back in late 2004, (I believe.) I wish I would have kept it along with copies of all those much older (and great) lessons from Lenny Breau, Arnie Berle, Joe Pass (and other notables).