Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Several members have asked for chord melody arrangements using chord diagrams instead of tabs or standard notation. Those of you who can help out, please submit some of your arrangements. Please use Microsoft Word files if possible. Here is a download link for a free chord diagram generator.
    QuickChord v1.1.2 Guitar Chord Diagram Generator - Freeware

Thanks Black cat!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is my first attempt at arranging a chord melody piece. Feel Free to comment!

User Info Menu

Looks good. I like the layout. I don't have a guitar with me at work, but will mess with it tonight. This tune is in my set list, so I am curious. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Hey, Balck Cat!

Can you tell me how you put the dots on the lines in a Word file?
    I'm making a little guitar course and I have to put them with a pen.

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link. It could come in handy.

User Info Menu

Claudi,

There is a free program that inserts the diagram as well as the dots. Go to the top of this page to the first post and look for the link and click on it. You will arrive at a website and look for Quick chord download on the upper right-hand side. Once you install the program, you can choose a number at the left to designate the fret of reference and then click on the strings at the fret you want and a dot will appear. Repeat until you get the chord you want and then choose either small or large diagram. If the chord name is not what you expected, you can type the chord name you wish to use by using the number symbol for sharps # and the lower case b for flats. Use your right mouse button and the paste function to place the diagram where you want it. I hope this answers your question.

Black cat
    Last edited by Black cat; 10-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.

User Info Menu

But of cooooooouuuuuuuurssssssssssse!

What a fool I've beeeeeeennnn!

Thank you, dude!

User Info Menu

Hi Alan,

Just as an 'interim', whilst I figure out this chord diagram program!

The Mike Elliott song books contain chord diagrams; in a big and clear format. They also have the notation printed, with basic chord symbols too.
    I don't read notation well, so as long as I knew the melody, I found it easier to use these books, to arrange my own versions, getting a feel for the sounds Mike used to produce with his particular changes. If I got stuck on how a melody went, well I was able to work a painfully slow route through the notation, until I had it!

Some of you guys too might find this useful, if you can lay your hands on the books. There were two and they contained around 15 melodies altogether. Plenty to get started on. After that, with this chord diagram program it should be easier to build up your own arrangements. It might result in a player picking up a kind of 'Mike Elliott' style, but that isn't such a bad deal!

Regards
    John
    'How can there be a wrong note in music?' ~ Joe Pass. ~

Joe was right. Now I don't play wrong notes. I just get 'shed-loads' in the wrong place!

User Info Menu

Here is a song many of you will remember. My favorite version is the one by Bing Crosby. This is just a shell with mostly vanilla chords, but it is a place to start.

Black cat

User Info Menu

Quick chord is a very cool application, thanks allot.
    jam on,
    Terry

User Info Menu

Just a request - I don't have Word on my machine (and don't want it). Any chance you could post this as PDF or Word Pad document?

Thanks

User Info Menu

I had a second and my work computer is quick so.....

User Info Menu

hey i really liked the chord diagrams stuff. is there more arrangaments like this?

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum. I hope there will be more arrangements. So far I am the only one posting. I am just learning chord melody, so I don't have a large repetoire. I hope others will post some arrangements. There is a link at the top of the page to a program to create chord diagrams.

Black cat.

Hey everyone!

It has been a while since I have written last, I have had a few health issues that have been the focal point of the last year or so, but I am happy to report things are finally good again.

I am the author of the QuickChord application linked here, and I have finally gotten back to updating it to include all the suggestions that user have been asking for.

The new version is going to be a retail version for sale, but as the members of this forum have been instrumental in helping me develop the application, I would like to invite anyone here who is interested to download the pre-release beta version for free. Furthermore, anyone who takes the time to write and give me feedback will receive a free copy of the retail version (we are offering it for sale for only $10, so it's not a big ticket item, but free is still awesome!) and unlimited updates for the life of the application.

We are also releasing QwikChord (I had to rename it... a couple years ago another company started selling a product called QuickChord too) for Mac OSX and the iPhone/iPod touch.

So again, thank you to everyone here! And if you are interested, give the new version a try and let me know what you think!

QwikChord Version 3 Pre-Release available at:
    QwikChord Home

(Go the Purchase page, and you will see the download link there. No purchase or registration is needed.)

User Info Menu

Zippy glad you're getting well. The new version QC3 is a nice improvment I especially like the larger screen thanks for this.
    jam on,
    Terry

Thank you, and it's good to be back!

I've already started getting a ton of feedback on the new version now, which is always awesome to receive. I forgot how much I enjoyed the give and take of working on these project with everyone.

User Info Menu

Here's a song from the 1960s that many will remember from the movie "Dr. Zhivago." The cords are not that complicated, but carry the melody quite well. Hope you enjoy it. Feedback welcome!

Black cat

User Info Menu

I had a book of Chet Atkins transriptions from the 70's. They're from an album Callled Chet Atkins goes to the movies, or something like that. He does this tune in A and uses tremelo picking. I have to look around and see if I still have it.

User Info Menu

Hi John:
    I have heard the Chet Atkins version. That would be great if you could post it. This version is off the top of my head and the key of G seem to lay in a logical pattern. Chet was a master of harmony but sometimes he either changed the melody or left part of it out but after all, he was Mr. Guitar.

Regards, Black cat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Black cat View Post
    Here's a song from the 1960s that many will remember from the movie "Dr. Zhivago." The cords are not that complicated, but carry the melody quite well. Hope you enjoy it. Feedback welcome!

Black cat
    Great stuff......the only thing that I see you doing is not X-ing out your bottom string when your voicing is on the 2nd string. This tends to make the top note the wrong melody note???? I too downloaded Qwikchord 3.

User Info Menu

Thanks PaulJoey for the feedback.
    You are right, I didn't x out the bottom string. Chord melody by diagram is not meant to be an exact arrangement like tabs. It is really just a suggestion that gives a visual to show the voicings. You will find that if you x out the bottom note the chord name changes and then you have to type in the chord name with the version of Quick Chord that I am using. Cheers!

Black cat

User Info Menu

Thanks PaulJoey for the feedback.
    You are right, I didn't x out the bottom string. Chord melody by diagram is not meant to be an exact arrangement like tabs. It is really just a suggestion that gives a visual to show the voicings. You will find that if you x out the bottom note the chord name changes and then you have to type in the chord name with the version of Quick Chord that I am using. Cheers!

Black cat
    SEE, YA LEARN SOMETHING EVERYDAY...THANKS!!

User Info Menu

Hi John:
    I have heard the Chet Atkins version. That would be great if you could post it. This version is off the top of my head and the key of G seem to lay in a logical pattern. Chet was a master of harmony but sometimes he either changed the melody or left part of it out but after all, he was Mr. Guitar.

Regards, Black cat

Sorry I looked all over the place but I can't find it. I may have loaned it to a student and forgot to get it back

Good evening, everyone!

OK, this is probably a shameless plug, but I have gotten so much traffic and great advice from here, I thought it would be justified.

QwikChord 3 is finally finished and up for sale at www.qwikchord.com!
    It sells for $12.95, but I wanted to post a coupon code here so users of this forum can purchase it for $9.95.

Just used the following code when you make your purchase: JAZZGUITAR

The code is good for the first 60 days of sale (until 5/23).

We have added a lot of stuff to it since the last beta, the most intriguing addition being a "Chord Definition Editor" that allows you to rename the 'shorthand' chord names that are automatically generated.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again to everyone!

User Info Menu

I like qwikChord - nifty little piece of software that allows me to transcribe what I'm playing into something I can write down.

I find the chord charts easier to read than tabs thanks.

I don't know why - because I played clarinet for 10+years - but I just can't get my head around notation on a guitar. With tabs I can just cope with positions 3,5,7 but others tie me up in knots - show me the chord shape and position and I'm fine.

I really feel it's holding me back (sad face)
    "I play, therefore I am." This seemed clever when I wrote it......but then I was very very drunk.

Thank you!

That's one of the reasons I started writing it years ago. I tried several dedicated guitar software packages, but I really was not interested in spending all the time learning how to transcribe what I was playing when I recorded my own songs.

All I needed was a breakdown of the chords I used; I can figure out the rest.

So after fruitlessly looking for something that would let me just drop chord diagrams into Word or something, I figured I would do it myself.

Most guitar players I know seem to be more interested in just playing guitar, and not so much being a composer and writing down notation.

Simple is good!