Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

A classic by Hank Williams, the original is basically a 16-bar ballad in 3/4 time using a standard 1-4-5 blues progression. I thought I'd try to reharmonize it with some common substitutions.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

looks cool...i'll play thru it later and see if i have any suggestions...i definitely think i'm going to want to make the D7 in bar 10 (i think) an Ab7 to keep the downward movement going in the bass--a simple tritone sub, but i'll pick away at it and let you know.

one of my favorite things to do is to take a "non-jazz" song and arrange it.

also, make sure you check out bill frisell, ron carter, and paul motion doing this one.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 09-29-2008 at 01:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks mr. b!

I'll check out Frisell.

User Info Menu

John-I'm not a big fan of the Eagles but I'm wondering if thier tune'The Heart of the Matter" could be a CM?

User Info Menu

*ahem*

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Shel - The Eagles' Desperado will work as a CM I think. I began to arrange it a few months ago but got distracted before I finished. One of the recordings has mostly piano and it's not difficult to follow.

User Info Menu

honestly, any song with a decent melody can be turned into a chord melody. sometimes the chords need a little "spicing up," that's all.

User Info Menu

Start a new thread guys! This one is all about HANK! Geez Louise!!!

User Info Menu

to quote the dude "i fucking hate the eagles."

hank williams on the other hand...that guy was on to something.

User Info Menu

I don't like the Eagles either, But I play for cash-it's a marketing decision.
    Disliking the 'artist" has nothing to do with playing the material....Someone
    calls for it, you play it..Regarding Hank- a little of him goes a looooonnnnnng way for me.....But I would play 'Lonesome"-it's his best effort.....

User Info Menu

speaking of reharmonization on Hank Williams tunes....check out the cd
    with Joe Pass and Roy Clark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    speaking of reharmonization on Hank Williams tunes....check out the cd
    with Joe Pass and Roy Clark

I think I'm gonna just have to break down and get a copy.

User Info Menu

What a nice tune, thanks for posting the lead sheet. I'd wouldn't have thought to try arranging this, but it sounds great. I'll have to pull it out on my next solo gig. I get a certain satisfaction from playing uncommon tunes CM style.It makes me smile, knowing that someone's Grandma is applauding my arrangement of a Guns-n-Roses tune!

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks for sharing!

MW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gibson View Post
    What a nice tune, thanks for posting the lead sheet. I'd wouldn't have thought to try arranging this, but it sounds great. I'll have to pull it out on my next solo gig. I get a certain satisfaction from playing uncommon tunes CM style.It makes me smile, knowing that someone's Grandma is applauding my arrangement of a Guns-n-Roses tune!
    Quote Originally Posted by m78w View Post
    Cool, thanks for sharing!

MW

User Info Menu

Here's a simple version in C.

http://freepdfhosting.com/631f5b5679.pdf