Likes Likes:  0
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

There is a new Mike's Masterclass coming up next Monday, Sept. 22nd that you may be interested in; "Inner Lines" by Steve Herberman, counterpoint and moving voices in improv., etc. I have already purchased it myself, but I have to go to a funeral Monday, so I won't be able to join in live. I'm not an affiliate of his or Mike Gellar, just a satisfied customer.
    http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/in...mart&Itemid=39

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool, Mike's classes are great!

MW

User Info Menu

That looks like a seriously good course. That's the stuff great solos are made from.

User Info Menu

The honest to goodness truth is that I have taken almost all of the ones offered by Steve Herberman, Lorne Lofsky, and Sid Jacobs, and every one of them is really eye-opening. My style of playing has improved so much, mostly because I have accepted the fact that I will never be a fast Metheny/Martino burner type, so now I take simple triads, play 2 notes instead of all 3, move the 3rd voice, and let it lead me to another triad!! Inside/ outside, whatever you want, I have found my voice with these Masterclasses + the Jimmy Wyble studies I came across + George VanEps studies = one happy old man!!! (I also recommend the 2 by Jack Pezzanelli on "Hybrid Chords"!!)

User Info Menu

I've got the Van Eps books. Looks like that would be a good place to start. These courses look like they're well worth the effort.

User Info Menu

Please take a suggestion from someone who spent many years mystified by this approach; go to David Oakes' site, look at his lessons from Jimmy Wyble's seminars, lock the bedroom door, and watch your eyes open up at how clearly the ideas behing moving voices and voice leading open up. Plus, they're free! THEN take the Steve Herberman course.
    http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/teaching.php

User Info Menu

hey jseaberry, that David Oaks link is cool. lots of good stuff.

User Info Menu

[quote=jseaberry;14869]Please take a suggestion from someone who spent many years mystified by this approach; go to David Oakes' site, look at his lessons from Jimmy Wyble's seminars, lock the bedroom door, and watch your eyes open up at how clearly the ideas behing moving voices and voice leading open up. Plus, they're free! THEN take the Steve Herberman course.
    http://www.davidoakesguitar.com/teaching.php[/quote]

Thanks so much. I'll take a running jump at this. It's exactly what I've been looking for.

User Info Menu

I went and looked at David Oaks site and BINGO !!! This is the stuff of legends. I can't believe how simple it is in theory. This turns a guitar player into a musician who expresses his music with the guitar. It also makes the guitar work more like the piano instead of just a board of block shapes. With this, the player controls the guitar rather than the guitar dictating what the player can do. The possibilities are endless. Thanks again, j.

User Info Menu

I'll mention this to David Oakes; he just e-mailed me about 10 minutes ago, so this will add to my reply greatly!!! I am glad you have found a new path.

User Info Menu

Wow! That David Oakes site is wonderful. Just checked out the two-line primer! Cool, cool, cool.

User Info Menu

Wow! A lot of memories for me with the links from this site. The links are a great review of L. A. Jazz guitar and brings back a lot of memories of my time spent with Jimmy Wyble and other G.I.T. friends.
    Howie

User Info Menu

It would surely be nice to see any notes or transcriptions you have from those GIT classes!!! David Oakes has been helping Jimmy Wyble organize his notes and manuscripts, and I have been helping with editing and proofing his re-writing of Mr. Wyble's lessons, but it's a bit-at-a-time kind of thing, so if you have any other perspectives, I would love to see them.......if that's OK.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I studied privately (as did Howard Alden) with Jimmy Wyble after we graduated from G.I.T. in 1977. Jimmy was not teaching at G.I.T. at that time. We had Ron Eschete, Don Mock, Joe Diorio, Howard Roberts, Les Wise and a few others as our instructors during that first year of G.I.T. We also had many, many seminars with the top studio and other working guitarists (as they became available) during that year. I think Jimmy started at G.I.T. some time later (not really sure when). Jimmy gave me a copy of his book and we used it and his recordings during the time I studied with him. I had about 9-10 lessons with Jimmy but couldn't continue because I got Pnuemonia and was bedridden for a couple of months. I took a job in Arizona and left L.A. after I recovered (needed income to feed my familly). I went back into engineering in Arizona and never saw Jimmy again. I believe Jimmy is one of the nicest people I have ever met and anyone who has had the opportunity to study with him is very fortunate.

best wishes,
    wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

Have you seen the awesome videos of Jimmy on youtube ? I watch them like 3 times a day