The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

'Round Midnight for me is like the magnum opus of jazz ballads.

But I'm curious as to what everyone likes doing for chord melody arrangements of this song. I love playing it in "E" so I can put the open E string on the bottom as my root. Also mine is completely inspired by Wes Montgomery's Riverside version, he plays along with an organ in it.

Anyone ever work out that famous intro Thelonious Monk plays? I'd love for some advice on that.

And my apologies if this has thread has been done but I couldn't find it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gary Wittner has a really nice book of Monk for guitar, one of the truest monk transcriptions for guitar, and there's a 'round midnite in there. Well worth checking out.

Amazon.com: Thelonious Monk for Guitar (9780793587537): Thelonious Monk, Gary Wittner: Books

Yes, beautiful tune

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful arrangement, and Morgen is amazing.

I always find this song so intimidating to work through and play. The slow tempo, complex chord progression, and intricate melody are tough for me. No where to hide .

User Info Menu

Wow, I really enjoyed listening to Morgan play this tune. thanks.

User Info Menu

MAN! I am amazed. I sit in silent admiration.

User Info Menu

" 'Round Midnight is one of my all time favorite jazz ballads. Love the way the chords move. There are so many interesting things you can do with the tune as a solo chord melody or as an improvisor with a group.

User Info Menu

" 'Round Midnight" is one of my all time favorite jazz ballads. Love the way the chords move. There are so many interesting things you can do with the tune as a solo chord melody or as an improvisor with a group.

User Info Menu

yeah I've been working the Eb version so far. I'm just trying to get really comfortable with the melody instead of getting stuck with one particular arrangement. For reference I looked at the Jim Hall and Johnny Smith takes. Of course Joe Pass has done the standard on the CM thing. I've also got Rosenwinkel's solo transcription of his playing on the record with the late Paul Motian. Pretty hardcore.

User Info Menu

That Howard Morgan clip was awesome. I have his course from Truefire -"Fingerboard Breakthroughs" which I highly recommend. Though, like every other lesson I find on the internet, I've gotten a third the way through it and then got distracted by some other approach.

User Info Menu

That Morgen version is great.

I do it in Eb...I end up using some open strings in my arrangement anyway...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

I thought open strings were illegal in jazz

That Kay sounds amazing, is that a Rhythm Chief on it? Nice playing too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Veeerrry nice Mr. B. Love that guitar too.

User Info Menu

Nice version, Jeff.

User Info Menu

Thanks gents...

Fly, it's a "guitar mike" model...just about all the tone of a rhythm cheif at 1/4 the price on the vintage market!

I love this guitar...not the easiest thing to play (fat neck with a skinny nut width...a true "baseball bat") but the sounds it makes are soooo good...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clip and the inspiration.One of my all time favorites and so nicely played.

User Info Menu

nice job as usual Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

wiz