The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Recently I began working on the chord melody style and so far I've been making some great progress.

However, for the longest time I've ALWAYS wanted to learn this Chord Melody intro that Guthrie Govan does in his song Wonderful Slippery Thing. It's seriously the reason why I started getting into Jazz in the first place. However I can't figure it out for the life of me! Can ANYONE help me out please? I've always wanted to learn this for the longest time.

It's the part from :19-:58. Here is the YouTube link:

the video is a little delayed but any help would be great. thank you so much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

lol please?

User Info Menu

just a suggestion, perhaps if you e-mailed him and asked him what chords he was playing he may reply.

Tell him your story about how his music affected you. He just may oblige.

hahaha I have twice no reply, this guy isnt really an unknown in the guitar circle. He's really busy and besides I don't think he can really write all the chords in an email haha. I wish though its definitely one of the most impressive things ive ever seen

User Info Menu

The only thing I didn't like was where he pulls off some his harmonic riff and stops to pat himself on the back right in the middle of the tune because he "nailed" it.

I'm sorry he doesn't reply. But I 'm really not all that surprised and yet I am. I mean, growing a fan base is key.

There are some players who don't mind sharing their stuff (look at Matt). Pat Martino put's some of his charts on his site. Lot's of guy's do.

I sent Christopher Parkening an e-mail about whether or not he ever recorded the version of Pavane for a Dead Princess that appears in one of his books. He did't personally reply but his secretary did, and rather quickly I might add.

Lot's of impressive things out there on the web. The most impressive things I've seen is the little asian kid playing Paganini on a classical guitar. I think it's number 24 in A. and that Brazilian choro player. just smokin stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    The only thing I didn't like was where he pulls off some his harmonic riff and stops to pat himself on the back right in the middle of the tune because he "nailed" it.
    Well, from all accounts, Guthrie is the most laid back, humble guy in real life. He was actually being humorous in a self-deprecating way when he did that, something which may have escaped you. That lick just seems to be the lick from the song which gets the most attention, and which everybody ELSE finds difficult, so he was kidding around with his "Yes, I made it!" gesture. He can pull that lick off in his sleep, trust me.

I'm sorry he doesn't reply. But I 'm really not all that surprised and yet I am. I mean, growing a fan base is key.
    Guthrie actually transcribed the tune IN FULL for Guitar Techniques magazine a few years back, so it should be sourceable if the OP wants it. He is actually a working musician so time is probably an issue.

cheers,
    Anthony
    Last edited by MusicallyChallenged; 10-16-2008 at 03:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry that subtle nuance escaped me. But since I've never seen that kind of thing done before during a solo section I thought it was quite odd.

I made my comment's based on watching the Youtube clip. You have to admit his gesture, to someone who doesn't know him, is far from humble. Since he has no problem with that lick, I'll assume it was just theatrics and let it go at that.

Please don't get me wrong. I think the guy can play but in my opinion he would be better served by showing more of his humble side. I'm sure I'm not the only person who watched that video without knowing anything about him and formed negative opinion about that gesture.

I'm still surprised that he doesn't reply to e-mails. If I was a touring musician, every e-mail I received would get a reply that contained where and when my upcoming gig's were and the senders e-mail address added to my contact list. That just makes good business sense.

I see your new to this forum. Professional touring musicians post here all the time. Just look at Mike Walker and Matt Warnock. (I'm sure there are others) They are very busy yet find the time to post lessons, pdfs, what have you. Send any of them a personal message or an e-mail and let's see how long it takes for them to get back to you. I'm willing to bet that they reply pretty darn quick.

I can appreciate that you are a fan of Guthrie Govan. Thanks for the post. I wish him contiuned success.
    Last edited by JohnW400; 10-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.

You have to admit his gesture, to someone who doesn't know him, is far from humble.
    Hmmm, it could just be that it's obvious to me since I've watched every Youtube video, bought every CD, purchased every bit of DVD footage, read his books and most of his magazine articles and transcriptions... guess I'm a Guthrie fan, yeah.

I'm still surprised that he doesn't reply to e-mails. If I was a touring musician, every e-mail I received would get a reply that contained where and when my upcoming gig's were and the senders e-mail address added to my contact list. That just makes good business sense.
    You're probably right. He strikes me as a bit of a "guitar savant"... has these amazing skills and the need to make music, but seems a bit embarassed when he receives attention for it and completely inept at capitalising on that attention. Obviously, not a business type...

Just look at Mike Walker and Matt Warnock. (I'm sure there are others) They are very busy yet find the time to post lessons, pdfs, what have you.
    You are not wrong there... I've already noticed those two names in my short time looking at this forum. I can't believe such quality tuition is shared freely by such people with no reward. I'm excited already about what I can learn here.

BTW, for the original poster, here's the link to the full transcription, hope it helps:

Wonderful Slippery Thing

cheers,
    Anthony

User Info Menu

Just an idea, since you are such a fan, perhaps you could offer to do this for him. I'm not that familiar with him , or you but I'll make the assumption that your both in the UK.

He could probably use someone to help out with this sort of marketing. Maybe nobodies brought it up to him yet. Like I said, though just an idea.

Something along similar lines with e-mails. I read that Ringo starr will no longer answer any correspondence form his fans and that he does this with 'Peace and Love". I got a kick out the part about doing it with peace and love.

User Info Menu

I've always been of the opinion that I don't find it offensive if a guy is really good at something, Law, Brain Surgery, etc., ego and flamboyance in the pursuit of art is OK. I don't like the tapping, but he is good and the opening chord melody thing, although bordering on rock, is pure joy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by
    BTW, for the original poster, here's the link to the full transcription, hope it helps:

[URL="http://www.freewebs.com/deadferretconundrum2/guthriegovan.htm"
    Wonderful Slippery Thing[/URL]

cheers,
    Anthony
    That link is dead. You got me all excited!

I have got transcription from GT, Philco send me PM....
    Last edited by Jazz Maniac; 12-01-2011 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Wonderful Slippery Thing

It works for me!

User Info Menu

if like his playing... check out Muris Varajic..i like his style a bit more...he is easier to "translate" on the fretboard...

User Info Menu

Guthrie is really down to earth , like the man also Muris ...if i find some time ill send you voicings, its minor 2-5-1 so you have Bm7 (1)-C#m7b5(2)-F#7b9 or F#dim(5) in a funky way.If you look for nice chord work jazz cats can blow your mind and here is many guys that can really do some great things.

User Info Menu

What does this have to do with jazz?

User Info Menu

I thought this was bitchin!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    What does this have to do with jazz?
    That's what they said about bebop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59

Pure!

User Info Menu

His solo at :46 and at 1:30 are amazing here. I love the acoustic tone he's getting there.

User Info Menu

disrespectful audience tallking and being stupid , think he does well to keep playing
    Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59