The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

I did a forum search and couldn't find anything. Can anybody point me in the direction of a nice arrangement?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a very fast song so probably not popular for chord melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaterpig
    I did a forum search and couldn't find anything. Can anybody point me in the direction of a nice arrangement?
    BWP, I love that song! Barry Galbraith (not sure if I spelled it correctly) has a Book/CD chord melody instructional set with a nice arrangement. Maybe you could learn it and then put your own spin on it, since you are a Jazz student. I am not sure which volume has it, but I think it's volume one.

Just Google it. I purchased mine from Amazon.

There are also other Book/CD sets with backing tracks just in case you want to play along with a band.

Good luck, Compadre!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    It's a very fast song so probably not popular for chord melody.
    Absolutely and 100% not true at all.

User Info Menu

Can anybody point me in the direction of a nice arrangement?
    Check out Robert Yelin's books. 5 books of standards--nice arrangements.
    Last edited by whatswisdom; 10-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.

User Info Menu

...point me in the direction of a nice arrangement?
    Here you go:

Jazz Standards for Solo GuitarSeries: Guitar Solo. Arranger: Robert B. Yelin
    35 lush chord melody arrangements in standard notation and tablature, for such beloved standards as: Ain't Misbehavin' • Autumn Leaves • Bewitched • Cherokee (Indian Love Song) • Darn That Dream • Girl Talk • Have You Met Miss Jones? • I've Got You Under My Skin • Lullaby of Birdland • Misty • My Funny Valentine • A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square • Slightly Out of Tune (Desafinado) • Stella by Starlight • Tangerine • The Very Thought of You • and more. Hal Leonard Publ.

User Info Menu

It's a very slow song and perhaps quite popular for chord melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    It's a very slow song and perhaps quite popular for chord melody.
    Ha Ha Ha!

Nice correction!

User Info Menu

Remember the immortal words of Thelonius Monk - "All tempos is right!"

User Info Menu

check out angelfire.com...they have a book by Barry Galbreath (sp) of chord melody arrangements which is just great...others too..

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Tunes don't necessarily have tempos attached to them, and I think any tune can probably work as a chord melody with the right arranger. Mrs. Jones seems like a pretty straight forward one to arrange.

User Info Menu

When I play the tune I usually do it as a chord melody. Having said that, it does get bulky if you use bulky chord voicings. Sounds redundant doesn't it? I play it mostly with drop 2s on the top four strings and then I use some quartal chord voicings on the bridge. Usually the bass player will fill in plenty under that. The other thing that I do is harmonize the melody with the 3rd of the chord a 6th below. For instance an A melody note with a C under it. That keeps it from sounding too clunky and lets you get through the quicker passages.

User Info Menu

Imo, Most of the fun of CM is figuring them out for yourself. I'll get you started, here's a pretty simple CM of the A section.

Have You Met Miss Jones CM.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Here's an mp3 pf that (maybe not the best jazz tone as I happened to have a strat sitting in my lap this morning)

Have you met miss jones CM.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

If you don't want to play this way, maybe I'll get around to writing out the rest at a later date.

User Info Menu

I have a trio head chord-melody arrangement on my site (free), on the Guitar Lessons page.

Steve

User Info Menu

Bluewaterpig, I have one in tabledit format. PM for more info.

User Info Menu

Bluewaterpig,

When you asked for this chord melody I didn't realize you were so advanced.

Now I see from your other posts that you're a Berklee graduate. Sorry if my previous post seemed to basic for you, I assumed you were new to chord melodies.

But now... It begs the question. You play jazz, you're a Berklee graduate, why would you want someone elses chord melody when you could easily write one yourself? And then it would be yours.

User Info Menu

Surprised that no one has mentioned the hymmj chord solo by joe pass from the virtuoso 1. That would be a good one to take notes from...........I do mean that in the most literal sense it could be taken.

User Info Menu

I was wanting to say the same thing, but I get in trouble here with opinions - : o. So I'll speak from the safety of your coat-tails.

Sinatra and Tony Bennet both sing it at a moderate tempo... I have heard it played as an instrumental at a not-much faster tempo. It certainly can be played fast, but sounds great at a cool swing.

Steve Crowell has the best CM arrangement I know of and have -- but I'm, no expert at chord melody. It's a finger-twister.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Imo, Most of the fun of CM is figuring them out for yourself. I'll get you started, here's a pretty simple CM of the A section.

Have You Met Miss Jones CM.pdf - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Here's an mp3 pf that (maybe not the best jazz tone as I happened to have a strat sitting in my lap this morning)

Have you met miss jones CM.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

If you don't want to play this way, maybe I'll get around to writing out the rest at a later date.
    Nice job, fep -- I might steal about 4/5ths of this if that's cool with you : )
    I think the strat sounds great - big fat-strat sound.

This is one of my favorite standards. Never tire of it. Maybe one day I'll play it right. Ha.

kj

User Info Menu

It's on the virtuoso standards book by joe pass, with tab from his version