The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hello,

I'm posting for the first time. I'm from the Chicago Land area.

I have been playing guitar for 40 years, not a musician just a person who likes to play guitar.

I have started my first chord melody from the Barry Galbraith series. The song title is, "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face". I like the melody and chords. I feel like I did when I started learning chords. Any time I hit a chord that does not sound clear, I play the phrase over until I get it right.

I'm actually working on three chord melodies, "When Sunny Get's Blue", "Tenderly", and "I've Grown Accutomed to Her Face". I switch from one to the other, when I hit a speed bump. It works for me, I don't get bored and I'm making progress.

I used to play guitar for an hour a week. I play everyday now, as therapy. The chords and single note playing prevents stiff joints, in my left arm and hand.

I have a variety of guitars, but for chord melodies I use the Epiphone Dot Deluxe. It's a good player. I use a Champ 5F1 clone, which in my estimation is a great bedroom guitar amp and has excellent tone.

Michael

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Welcome, Michael.

User Info Menu

Hard to do better than that, Michael. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

When I started on cord melodys, I also used Barrys arrangements...You will get to the point where you will want to do your own arrangements ..
    The satisfaction level is much higher...

User Info Menu

welcome oldman...

I've been at it for 53 years...play everyday too...just changed my strings the other day after some time...I am on my 4th set of thomastic GB .014s...flatwound...

I enjoy chordmelody since I started playing the charlie byrd style on my classical years ago...now favor my 1977 Ibanez 2355 (175) through Polytone Mini Brute...

Angelfire.com has a Galbraith book to download..of some chord melody arrangements I am sure you will like...but nothing beats your own arrangements..

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman
    Hello,

I have been playing guitar for 40 years, not a musician just a person who likes to play guitar.

Michael
    Welcome! I want to conquer chord melody as well. It is so enjoyable. I just learned to appreciate Johnny Smith's music. My new hero in chord melody. I have been playing 5 years.

User Info Menu

Welcome. Those Galbraith arrangements are a wealth of knowledge...love his chords.

Thank you all.

I have noticed a change in my style of playing, already.

I guess you could say, I'm learning by example.

Michael

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum. I play every day for the same reason as you do. I'm also working on chord melody as well.

User Info Menu

Ditto Michael, us old guys have got to stick together. I love playing everyday. It helps chase away the demons of the corporate world. Doing some Robert Conti right now. I'll let you know how that turns out. Keep those hands moving and that brain challenged. Later...

User Info Menu

+1 to all of this - especially the 'us old ones' lol! Glad to know that we are not alone!

User Info Menu

Been working a lot on his comping book in recent weeks. Taking my time in "Blues in F" - been working it for 3 weeks - absolutely love this stuff. So eye-opening. Moving on to Minor Blues next.

Thanks to all of you folks out there and what great encouragment all of you give.

Johnny Smith chord melodies, sounds good. I have a chord block diagram of Moonlight in Vermont and it's fantastic. I'm struggling with it, but soon enough I'll get it down. I have to get together with Mr. Herron of Chordmelody.com and determine what some of the ticks and notations mean.

Please recommend a book of Johnny Smith chord melodies and I'll examine it. I'm too slow with reading music, but guitar tabs save a lot of time. When I was 15 and playing classical guitar, reading music was the only way. I'm not opposed to reading music, but I'm not 15 years old anymore either. I just don't have the time anymore.

Oldman

User Info Menu

If you really want to hear chord/melody as it should be played check out George van Eps on Youtube.This is the guitarist that all the "greats" learnt from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldman
    Hello,

I have started my first chord melody from the Barry Galbraith series. The song title is, "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face". I like the melody and chords. I feel like I did when I started learning chords. Any time I hit a chord that does not sound clear, I play the phrase over until I get it right.

I'm actually working on three chord melodies, "When Sunny Get's Blue", "Tenderly", and "I've Grown Accutomed to Her Face". I switch from one to the other, when I hit a speed bump. It works for me, I don't get bored and I'm making progress.

I used to play guitar for an hour a week. I play everyday now, as therapy. The chords and single note playing prevents stiff joints, in my left arm and hand.

I have a variety of guitars, but for chord melodies I use the Epiphone Dot Deluxe. It's a good player. I use a Champ 5F1 clone, which in my estimation is a great bedroom guitar amp and has excellent tone.

Michael
    Hey Michael,
    Welcome. I also have been working on Chord Melody for sometime now, I like the challenge plus it keeps this old mind active. I'm attempting to mirror Tony Mottola's style. There's a lot of great info on this Forum and surely you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Regards,

JimmyK

User Info Menu

Hello Michael

I too find the Barry Gailbraith books wonderful, his arrangements seem to fall under the fingers so well, a joy to play. An antidote to the rat race!

I like the Mel Bay ‘Jazz Guitar Standards Chord Melody Solos’ as well but I keep going back to Barry Gailbraith.

I started playing classical guitar, for about twenty years, then realised I wasn’t any good at it! Helped with right hand finger style technique though. Buying an Ibanez Af125 changed my life and now I really enjoy playing every day. Having a go at the Joe Pass Chord solos book ay the moment but you need to read music as no tab in that one.

Even being a not very good guitarist has helped me appreciate all kinds of music so much more.

regards

Malcolm

User Info Menu

This thread inspired me to drag out my Galbraith books again. These are fun to play, as has been mentioned here. It is interesting to note that the harmonic movements taught in Robert Conti's "The Formula" apply very well to understanding what Galbraith is doing. I think that working with Conti's book, you can get a good sense of Galbraith's work and apply his sensibilities to your own chord melody that way.

Thanks for reminding me about the Galbraith books - they are a real gem!

Just an observation...

Tony

User Info Menu

A couple of years ago I bought "Jazz & Popular Guitar" at B&N by Arnie Berle. Been working with it almost every day. For me, this is a great assist to my chord melody challenges.
    Regards,
    JimmyK