The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

Just curious: do any of you play chord melody on an acoustic guitar? If so, which make and model? Do cedar or spruce tops sound better for chord melody (way too general a question, I know)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like to play jazz on a Taylor with a spruce top - then again, I like to play anything on that guitar!

User Info Menu

I play jazz (and thereby chord melody) on anything I pick up--it's what I play.

As far as non archtop acoustics go, I jazz it better on smaller bodied guitars--more balance less boom. I love doing chord melody on my Larrivee Parlor, which is a 12 fretter and no cutaway! To me, the same wood type of on two different guitars can sound different, so I don't put too much stock into that--let your ears decide...

User Info Menu

I just started playing Jazz again on my Martin and love it, but it has no cutaway so gets to be a hassle for me. Chord melody on my Martin sounds real nice, clear, full sound, comfortable neck.

I've been looking for nice acoustic with cut-away that doesn't cost too much. I got to try an Eastman acoustic and that was nice. Taylor or Martin would be great expect for the price. Has anyone tried any of the Ibanez or Takamine's in the $1000 range how are they???

Mr. B. I like the idea of the parlor guitar that would nice to have a smaller body. To me bigger body is just for volume.

User Info Menu

I use a Taylor 714ce. Sounds great. I use pretty heavy gauge strings and tune down 1/2 step for extra fullness.

User Info Menu

Docbop... because I like inducing GAS...

I agree with Mr. B on the body size.

I play on a Larivee LV-03. It's spruce with a cut away and electronics. the body style is a little smaller than a dreadnought. Honestly I can't imagine playing jazz (or anything else now) on a dreadnought.

I didn't purchase it to play jazz though.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Nice! Larivees are great for the money. I personally think you get a little more bang for your buck than with a martin or taylor. They don't have so much marketshare, and you're not paying extra for the name on the headstock. Super resonant, nice woody acoustic tone at all price points I've ever played.

User Info Menu

Totally agree. I play CM on my Larrivee cutaway all the time. Superior instrument.

User Info Menu

Oh I feel the GAS building! That is a nice look guitar and price is sweet too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I've been looking for nice acoustic with cut-away that doesn't cost too much. I got to try an Eastman acoustic and that was nice. Taylor or Martin would be great expect for the price. Has anyone tried any of the Ibanez or Takamine's in the $1000 range how are they???
    I think Takamine is a great value as a working man's axe. Professionally set up, of course. OTOH, for $1000 you might be able to get a Taylor.

Taylor cutaway items - Get great deals on Guitar items on eBay.com!

User Info Menu

I play a 000 martin 99% of the time. Very comfortable to hold and ballanced tone. If I have to play higher than the 14th fret I use my archtop electric which has a cutaway. (hardly ever happens though)

User Info Menu

I use my Guild F-50, no cutaway, for some chord melody stuff. I don't currently own a cutaway flattop, so if I need one it has to be either my acoustic archtop or an electric.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I have been considering the possible merits of a gypsy/Django style acoustic for acoustic chord melody use. I don't really go in for that style of playing, probably because I'm not very good at it , but I think one of these guitars might work very well for more general acoustic jazz/CM use. I would be interested if anyone would like to comment on this idea, i.e. is it a good one or not?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe b
    I think Takamine is a great value as a working man's axe. Professionally set up, of course. OTOH, for $1000 you might be able to get a Taylor.

Taylor cutaway items - Get great deals on Guitar items on eBay.com!
    Cool some good deal in that list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    I have been considering the possible merits of a gypsy/Django style acoustic for acoustic chord melody use. I don't really go in for that style of playing, probably because I'm not very good at it , but I think one of these guitars might work very well for more general acoustic jazz/CM use. I would be interested if anyone would like to comment on this idea, i.e. is it a good one or not?
    I think it's a fine idea! I do it all the time actually, my gypsy jazz duo doesn't have enough material for three sets yet, so I always flesh out each set with a few solo pieces while my compadre grabs a beer...

User Info Menu

I really enjoy using a flattop. I have settled on smaller bodied (oo or ooo/OM) with 12 frets and no cutaway. The scale is about 24.9. I find them the most comfortable, and most resonant for what I like to play. Right now, I am playing the flattop more than the archtop-- for now.

User Info Menu

I don't own a flat top so I when I want a good acoustic sound, I turn off my floating pickup and just go unplugged on an acoustic archop. I've got my 39 D'A and then I just got a hold of a '35 L7 which has an incredible tone. I'll just mike them and they do just fine.

User Info Menu

I've been using my Martin 000-15 quite a bit lately. It's a pretty warm sounding acoustic, so I think it works well for chord melody. Probably helps that I use fingers instead of picks. It probably wouldn't make a great bluegrass acoustic, but luckily that's not what I play.

User Info Menu

My favorite guitar (most of the time) is my Goodall std. It's the best flattop I've ever played. For jazz and chord melody it's just great.

It's used in a solo improvisation of "I Hear a Rhapsody" at my YouTube channel.

User Info Menu

I think it's a fine idea! I do it all the time actually, my gypsy jazz duo doesn't have enough material for three sets yet, so I always flesh out each set with a few solo pieces while my compadre grabs a beer...
    Thank you for that feedback Mr B, I could well be tempted by this idea at some stage. Another benefit for me is that this type of guitar can be got for somewhat less than a hand carved acoustic archtop (not that I wouldn't mind one of those also...). Who knows if I got one, I might even find myself getting drawn in to the whole gypsy jazz style - I do love listening to it!

One question you might be able to help with: I have heard that the action on these guitars can be a bit on the high side - a) is this true, b) can it be adjusted lower if so, and c) does it matter for chord melody playing anyway? Cheers!

User Info Menu

There is some discussion of suitable guitars in this thread from last year: Acoustic flat-top steel guitars for jazz

I'm still playing one of these Martinez guitars. It looks more jazzy than your average flat-top:

User Info Menu

I have a Breedlove Atlas AC25SR Plus. This specific model is not made anymore because Breedlove has revamped the line. However, there is a similar model available. I think that he biggest difference between new and old models is the electronics.

My axe has a very smooth neck. In terms of playability, the guitar is highly comparable to a Taylor. Actions is very close to an electric. I really like if for chord-melody. The Atlas series is a a good price point for many players. It is around $1,000 these days for a solid top and solid back model.

User Info Menu

I can recommend the Seagull cedar top CW (built in Canada); it's a very nice sounding small body flat top with a deep cutaway for CM and under $1000. For some reason it is hard to find the CW on their site but if you Google "Seagull S series S6+ CW Cedar" you will get the page. The street price is generally around $550-$650 US and they are a great sounding acoustic for that money.
    Last edited by Dirk; 12-02-2019 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

How do you guys deal with getting the intonation in with flat tops generally
    I like to play with 13 or 14 guage TI flats

and I'm always concerned that even if the guitar has good intonation
    in the shop , once I've parted with my cash and got it home
    and strung it up the intonation might well be out

and you can't easily adjust intonation on a flat top can you ?

I've got an old Hofner archtop acoustic partly for this reason

how (well) do you guys cope with this potential problem