The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    Hey there everyone

I've been looking a lot for notes or an istructional video, but haven't found something useful yet.

So I thought I'd ask you guys if you now where I can get the notes or where I can find an instructional video of/on Wes Montgomery's Jingles (even if it's just a part of the song).

Thanks in advance

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a short video of Jingles I made for a Thumb Octave thread, but might help with tune. I was just reading through tune so it was rough, like I said was for use of thumb with octaves, but if I can help with a specific part etc... let me know I'll gladly post, I dig tune.
    Best Reg

User Info Menu

Reg, I love your octave playing, how do you keep it so "clean"?

User Info Menu

Hey you know... no brains no headaches... I was reading the head, so really I wasn't paying much attention. Actually when I listened to the Video...it's rough... but thanks a ton, really. If there's any trick to my playing, it's simply... I use octaves a lot. For most of my gigs, I need easier listening solos, which octaves always cover, They sing much like single note instruments. They always cut through and have a big sound without using effects or volume. Great for melodic grooves etc... When I read heads or soli sections that's what I usually use, unless its burnin and I cant cover. My mechanics are trained, I don't think about my hands... I just play or read... most of the time. Sometimes ya just don't hear anything worth playin. That's when I usually get simple or rhythmic.
    Thanks again, I totally dig your style and where your going, anything I can do to help, let me know, I have no secrets... I'm usually very simple most of the time... it's a choice. Best Reg

User Info Menu

Reg,

I like your playing a lot! Do you have more recordings that you can share?

One question about the octaves: how do you mute the middle strings, or the higher strings?

Thanks,

Joao Pedro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123
    Reg, I love your octave playing, how do you keep it so "clean"?
    +1

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg, this is another good video! I love your playing style and watching you play is really a pleasure.

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks... As far as muting... pretty standard... My 1st finger mutes the string below and above and my 4th finger does the same;
    If I'm playing "D" octave... 1st finger on 5th string at 5th fret and 4th finger on 3rd string at 7th fret. My 1st finger playing the "D" is muting the 6th and 4th strings and my 4th finger is muting the 4th and 2nd strings, My 4th finger usually mutes all strings above, in this case both the 2nd and 1st strings. Obviously the string between octave is muted twice... room or error. And your attack, with thumb or pick has room to be a little off. You need this technique to become mechanical... subconsciously or automatically fingered with out thinking about it. Doesn't take very long... your fingers almost use this technique naturally. Let me know if you have a line or example in mind that would help. Best Reg

User Info Menu

Reg, your octaves sing and swing. I hope mine are someday as "mechanical." (Not meaning that the music is mechanical but that my mechanics are as solid when playing octaves.)

First of all,

I thank all of you for your help. It's amazing how fast you answer my questions and help me. Thanks for the hints and the notes!

I couldn't open the first link from paynow due to browser problems, I can only read the HTML-code on the website. But I'll think about buying the Wes book.

Thanks to randalljazz for the transcribed solo, and the link for the sheet music. Also thanks to Reg for the video, did you also transcribe it or where did you get it from (the notes)? If you have it, could you post it? But you don't have to transcribe it if you haven't done that already!

Thanks I'll work a bit on the solos for the next period of time!

Blue(s) Skies
    Last edited by Blue(s) Skies; 02-07-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: grammar

User Info Menu

The tune is in The Real Book Two...Reg

Where can I get it? Are there any free versions or do I have to buy it somewhere in an online store or something?

User Info Menu

I'll try and scan and post...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blue(s) Skies
    Where can I get it? Are there any free versions or do I have to buy it somewhere in an online store or something?
    here ya go. money well spent.

Amazon.com: The Real Book - Volume II (C Instruments): C Instruments 2nd Edition (Fake Book) (9780634060212): Hal Leonard Corporation: Books