The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

OK, must have lost the plot as someone posted a really nice CM chart of Stella, and I was working on it before Xmas

BUT

Lots going on since then, and now that I come back to it, I can't find the chart that I printed - and searching on this forum hasn't turned up the version that I had. And I can't seem to get it right the way that I was doing it, no matter how I try.

So I'm asking for help - if you've posted Stella as a CM, could you post it again please?

Thanks muchly.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah...I learned this note for note. I love it but my (ex) guitar teacher didn't like it...too thin for him.

Sailor

User Info Menu

For a richer arrangement of Stella by Starlight, go to the TedGreene.com website in the "Lessons" section, or go to the "From Students" section and see the write-up for Ted's arrangement by Paul Vachon.
    --Jay

User Info Menu

Thanks to everyone who responded - that lesson is definitely the place to start. I'll have a look at Matt's site as well, that always good for getting you started on something.

Nice one!!

User Info Menu

Just transcribe this...

User Info Menu

Peter Mazza plays a few extra chord there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dkaplowitz
    Just transcribe this...

Sounds like impresionic music alla Debussy...

User Info Menu

That was incredible! Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Ouch ! This is highly original (to my ears) and very enjoyable (not to mention "technically impressive"), thanks for sharing this vids !

User Info Menu

Hmm. Interesting. Some of it was very appealing, and some made me seasick. Probably need several more listens ...

The final vanilla Bb made me laugh.

User Info Menu

I can definitely see your point M-ster. I agree that he puts way too many changes in the tune. It somewhat detracts from the musicality and it is a bit over the top. But solely from a guitarist's perspective, it is like an encyclopedia of voice leading options. I have learned a few tricks from it but I certainly wouldn't want to sound like that.

I think all he has to do is build in some breathing room to showcase some of the voice-leading gems. It would definitely be easier to play (and swing) and probably be more listenable. But still ... he must have committed some serious wood-shed time.
    Last edited by Jazzaluk; 01-17-2011 at 05:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, that seemed pretty much like a workout to me. Pretty cool from a technical standpoint, but even if I could manage all that I don't think I'd ever put all of it into a song at a gig. A clinic, maybe, lol

User Info Menu

Since it's a Stella-thread...

If I were to harmonies the first note (Bb), how would I do it?

The chord next is Em7b5, so It's logical to play it's dominant, which is B. but then in the melody we have the major 7.

User Info Menu

Whatever voicing you use to harmonize the next A note (over the Em7b5), play the same chord a semi tone up. Basically a half-step pickup. Or you can use a a Gm7 (with a b5 if you like), or a Bb6. There are several options, but the half step trick always works in chord melodies where the melody moves a half step, especially if the first note if non-diatonic.