The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

Hi Guys-I'm trying to learn this song at the moment. What I want to do, in the last verse, is to play 3 different chords over the "Look...At...Me" (or "On My Own", I suppose) bit. Now-the "Look" chord I was going to do a Bb+7 (at the 6th fret) and the "Me" chord an EbMaj7. What I need is some ideas for the "At" chord, that'll go into the EbMaj7. Something that sounds really cool!!! And something that'll have the G note on top (if that's important, maybe it's not?)
    Any ideas? I know lots of you have done this song. The Me chord doesn't even really need to be an EbMaj7, I suppose? I was going to arpeggiate it up the fretboard/
    Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bb13

User Info Menu

try F > Bb > Eb

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Bb13
    Perfick! Might try Bb13b9?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patskywriter
    try F > Bb > Eb
    Thanks. It might sound a bit "normal" for the feel I'm trying to get though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jseaberry
    Excellent! That'll surely give me some great ideas for my arrangement!

User Info Menu

Bbaddb9, in the following voicing: 6xx436 as the first chord. That's how I play it, anyway. I have this great arrangement for the piano, and I essentially tried to copy the voicing when I wanted to play it on guitar! So if you can play that, then it sounds great. Just pull off the 6th fret to the 3rd (bar the two first strings) to get that melody (look at...)

I've attached yours truly playing my adaptation of this song. Also, I've included the sheet music I used on the piano (the guitar tabs are slightly incorrect but a good starting point, I found) and my personal chord arrangement for this part.

User Info Menu

Many thanks!!!!

User Info Menu

No problem, hope that helped.

User Info Menu

It sure does. Listening to as many different CM's of this is a great help. What I love is the interpretations each individual brings to this great tune.

User Info Menu

As can be said of all jazz! Haha.

User Info Menu

Try this, I got it years ago from my instructor, Bob Borgstede. Unfortunately he passed away about 2 years ago at age 28 - a great player and instructor...

Look - xx3446

At - x7678x

Me - x6533x

jd

User Info Menu

Beaut, Dono!
    I'm using that shape for the Ebmaj7 at the moment.
    I'm doing

Look---xx6776

At---6x678x

Me-----x6533x

User Info Menu

I like those too, Dono; I have one thing to add, though. In my advanced state of retardation, I have become very conscious of the difference in tone when moving voices around. I would play that first chord: x - 8 - 9 - 8 - 11 - x, (bottom to top) because it gives a consistency to the tone that I like, plus, you can do "Johnny Smith" kinda slides from one chord to another by keeping them on the same strings.

User Info Menu

Interesting challenge to discover new voicings for the 1st three chords of Misty- here is what I am currently fooling around with:
    Fm11: x86886
    Bb13b5b9: 77678x (hope that is spelled correctly)
    Ebmaj7b5/G: 3x123x
    The b5 of the Ebmaj7 can be moved chromatically upward to Bb, then to Bnat using same chord form then to new chord form:
    x655xx directly preceeding change to Bbm7.
    Does this work for anyone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    Beaut, Dono!
    I'm using that shape for the Ebmaj7 at the moment.
    I'm doing

Look---xx6776

At---6x678x

Me-----x6533x
    Cool, so many players, so many voicings, very educational!

I do this one:

Look --- xx5566

At---xx6433 (can also with the Bb as a root: 6x6433, but without sounds also good)

Me --- x6576x

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by easguitar
    Interesting challenge to discover new voicings for the 1st three chords of Misty- here is what I am currently fooling around with:
    Fm11: x86886
    Bb13b5b9: 77678x (hope that is spelled correctly)
    Ebmaj7b5/G: 3x123x
    The b5 of the Ebmaj7 can be moved chromatically upward to Bb, then to Bnat using same chord form then to new chord form:
    x655xx directly preceeding change to Bbm7.
    Does this work for anyone?
    Lovely stuff! That middle chord-do you bring your thumb around to voice that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Cool, so many players, so many voicings, very educational!

I do this one:

Look --- xx5566

At---xx6433 (can also with the Bb as a root: 6x6433, but without sounds also good)

Me --- x6576x
    This is turning into a great exercise!!! I may have to play it twice to get in all these great shapes!!

User Info Menu

This is a great thread. Lot's of great intro chord ideas.

Maybe we should start a thread that addresses intros/outros for other popular standards, especially for those that are readily identified by the first couple of notes, i.e. Monlight In Vermont.

jd

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by donojazz62220
    This is a great thread. Lot's of great intro chord ideas.

Maybe we should start a thread that addresses intros/outros for other popular standards, especially for those that are readily identified by the first couple of notes, i.e. Monlight In Vermont.

jd
    Yeah, this is a good idea. In my opinion though, there should be an entire section where people can post their adaptations of standards.

User Info Menu

Bill - think of the common chord movements. The most common is cycle of fourths so Fm7 Bb7 Ebmaj7. Then use tritone sub on Bb7 to E7(#9) so nice chromatic movement. Or Bb7 E7 Eb (Bb and E are tritone subs of each other) which answers you question of an intermediate chord which approaches Eb by half step above.
    For the D melody note, Daug sounds cool (got this from Conti).

So basically pick any chord you can imagine that has the note you want in the melody then use common chord movements such as cycle of fourths, diatonic, chromatic, minor 3rds and try different chords to find ones you like. This way you'll be more apt to be able to improvise on the fly rather than play stock arrangements each time.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Will!!

User Info Menu

Very nice piano arrangement! How many of the voicings in the arrangement for piano have you been able to transfer or use performing this arrangement on guitar?

User Info Menu

One can play a lot of options, as we can see but depends on harmony
    a lot of examples were offered as
    1) V-V-I (Ted Greene used it and many others)
    2) II-V-I
    3) II-bIIx-I (which is triton substitution of above)
    4) bIIx-V-I (Eb9b5-A13-Dmaj7)
    or even reharmonize this basic harmony, for example
    5) bVImaj-V-I (655565-5x567x-x5422x)
    even more outside version, depends on what you want
    6) VIIx-bVIIx-I (Db7b9#5-C9b5-Dmaj7)
    as Joe Pass wrote there can be many possibilities, if you only have those notes in melody, and find good sounding combination..

also
    bass line can be added
    1) V-V-I ___ V-V/b7-I/3 (good for D key) desc bass line
    look - x05425 (A13)
    at- 3x2322 (A7b9=Go)
    me- 2x022x (Dmaj7)
    Last edited by TELEVAD; 12-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.