User Info Menu

Cheers, Televad!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

look: x-x-9-7-6-6

at: x-x-7-5-4-4

me: x-6-3-3-3-3

User Info Menu

I often use E7 (#9) on the at bit, I know it's been mentioned already.
    If you don't have the DVD "An evening with Joe Pass" I would strongly recommend it. There is a section where he answers questions about his chord melody playing and chooses Misty to demonstrate the range of voicings available. Then he plays it, and it it the most sublime version I have ever heard, worth the price just for that bit.

User Info Menu

I usually play it:

-6--3------
    -4--3--3---
    -5--4--3---
    -6--6--5---
    -------6---
    -----------

So, that would be Bb9sus->Bb13b9->EbMaj7. Sometimes I go:

-6--3---------
    -4--3--3--3---
    -5--4--2--3---
    -6--6--4--5---
    -------6--6---
    --------------

So, that would be Bb9sus->Bb13b9->EbdimMaj7->EbMaj7.

Just some thoughts.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Cheers, Lads!!

User Info Menu

No one's suggested Ab7#11 on the "me." In Eb (which most of you are using), you delay the Ebmaj7 by using Ab7#11 for the first two beats, then Ebmaj7.

One more thing to play with ...

User Info Menu

Interesting, I'd never tried that one. I'm not sure why it works, but it does. I'll have to think about that one. Cool, learned something new. Thanks, M, I owe ya one.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-14-2011 at 04:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Great Ideas!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    Thanks, M, I owe ya one.
    You are quite welcome, sir.

User Info Menu

This is fun...Try
    Change bars 7 and 8 to... G-7 C7#9 / F-9 Eb-9 // Ab9#11 and you can go to the Bb-7 Eb7 or sub, G-7b5 C7#9 for Bar 2.
    Try again on turn around... bar 7 and 8... Eb6/9 C7b13 / B13 G7#9// C-9...
    I could go on if I start playing...but maybe these will get you going
    If you really want more I'll make a video with a million... that's what I do
    Reg

User Info Menu

Any chance to watch you play on video is welcome, Reg!

User Info Menu

As someone else has suggested, E7 (#9) works well on the "at" part of the melody. If you don't own it already, I really recommend "An evening with Joe Pass" DVD, there is a section where he demonstrates a number of voicings for Misty, and then plays a brief version with amazing, seamless harmonic movement throughout. Well worth the price.
    I first learnt Misty in Eb like yourself, but have recently worked out a version in C which allows greater scope for basslines and ringing open strings. The "look at me" bit, would be, say, G7#5, C#(#9), Cmaj 7 (at 1st position), no doubt you could work out the rest.
    I always feel it's never a waste of time to experiment with transposing songs, especially with solo guitar because you don't need to match your key with anyone else.
    Also, it gives you the option of modulating after you have played the tune through once in it's original key, which provides more variety for the listener.
    Wonder if anyone's got any suggestions on how to take the tune from Eb to C, or vice versa...?

User Info Menu

It was ski week so no chess classes to teach today, so I had some free time and my wife wasn't on the downstairs computer - the the perfect storm to do a little recording!

This is my version of "Misty." You can hear that EbdimMaj7 on beats 1 and 2 there. Then I go into a double-time feel after the first A section. It's a little sloppy - sorry, two years of only practicing CG is bad for the jazz chops.

Enjoy.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-22-2011 at 02:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Kevin, I enjoyed that. All differences aside, I do see that you are generous with your knowledge and genuinely want to help. Nuff said for now.

User Info Menu

This is great. Channeling Joe loud and clear.

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Kevin-effortless and Musical. Love the way you slip into soloing and back into CM. But-are you chewing gum, young man?

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin... very nice, great job... was that a showcase type of thing, do you want critique or was it a lesson type of video... or simply for enjoyment... best Reg

User Info Menu

great job Kevin! This video is a good showcase of your jazz guitar knowledge and abilities. more, please!

wiz

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    Love the way you slip into soloing and back into CM.
    Yeah, I think that that works as long as you imply the chord changes strongly. Without accompaniment I think that's it's even more important to target chord tones and guide tones.

But-are you chewing gum, young man?
    Yeah, I do a weird thing with my jaw. I need to work on that.

Yeah, Reg, I'm open to constructive criticism. But this probably isn't the best place, let me repost in the Showcase area later today.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-22-2011 at 01:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0783
    As someone else has suggested, E7 (#9) works well on the "at" part of the melody. If you don't own it already, I really recommend "An evening with Joe Pass" DVD, there is a section where he demonstrates a number of voicings for Misty, and then plays a brief version with amazing, seamless harmonic movement throughout. Well worth the price.
    I ordered a copy of this DVD and it just arrived. Thanks for making the recommendation!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nick0783
    As someone else has suggested, E7 (#9) works well on the "at" part of the melody.
    I've always enjoyed a chromatic approach to the melody at bar 24 of the bridge.

l F-11 E7(#11 #9) ll EbMa7

One could even extend this chromatic approach with at bars 23 and 24:

l G-7 Gb7 l F-11 E7 (#11 #9) ll EbMa7

Of course one could use F-11 E7#11#9 as an intro just as well but I prefer using it to provide a bit of variety on the second approach to the melody at the end of the bridge on bar 24.

Try it!

User Info Menu

What I need is some ideas for the "At" chord, that'll go into the EbMaj7. Something that sounds really cool!!! And something that'll have the G note on top (if that's important, maybe it's not?)
    Perhaps a piano player's approach might provide you with an idea or two. Rather than going directly to the 1 chord (EbMaj7) following the pickup I'll dance to it on beat 1 chromatically for example:

F-11 E7+9 +11 ll D/Eb EbMaj9

This is probably more effective at bar 9 when you're about to repeat the melody phrase the second time through.

My preference for repeated choruses of the melody is establishing chromaticism that the ear instantly picks up on for the sake of variety. For example from bar 22 of the bridge leading back to the head I'll play:

D7sus C-11 F9 l
    that's why I'm fol-low-ing

G-9 Gb13+11 l
    you

F-11 E7+11+9 ll
    On my

D/Eb EbMaj9 l
    own

Since Misty has been done forever my chart for the first 9 bars of Misty might include many substitutions, i.e., at bar 7 below:

Bb13 ll

EbMa7 l Bb-9 Eb13b9 l AbMa7 l Ab-9 Db13 l

EbMa7 C-7 l F-7 Bb7b9 l G13 G+7 C9 C7b9 l F9 F+7 Bbsus9 Bb13b9 l

D/Eb EbMa9 l

Try it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Perhaps a piano player's approach might provide you with an idea or two. Rather than going directly to the 1 chord (EbMaj7) following the pickup I'll dance to it on beat 1 chromatically for example:

F-11 E7+9 +11 ll D/Eb EbMaj9 ...
    Of course, that D/Eb is essentially the same as EbdimMaj7 I suggested. Great minds think alike.

Peace,
    Kevin
    Last edited by ksjazzguitar; 02-22-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    ...Great minds think alike. ...
    ...and fools seldom differ.
    Please be complete; so many misunderstandings are brought about by not giving the whole story.
    (No, just joshing; couldn't resist. Regretting it already...)

User Info Menu

Fools Seldom Differ?
    I thought it was fools err and differ?