The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I've had this Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II for about 6 years or so and just noticed a little bit of play in the tuners. I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to replace them and if so, can anyone recommend a set that I can just drop in without modifying the headstock?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is this what is on the guitar now?
    Attached Images Attached Images New Tuners For A Godin 5th Avenue?-godin-electric-guitar-used-godin-5th-avenue-cw-kingpin-ii-humbucker-28296285093949-jpg 

User Info Menu

New Tuners For A Godin 5th Avenue?-thumbnail_img_1992-jpg

User Info Menu

My Montreal Premiere came with the same tuners you have.
    I replaced them with these - a drop in replacement!:
    https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...g-mount-tuners
    I've had guitars with Shallers, Grovers, Gotohs, and Sperzels - all very good, but these Klusons are the best tuners I've ever used!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Kluson 3+3 Revolution Series G-Mount Tuners - StewMac
    I've had guitars with Shallers, Grovers, Gotohs, and Sperzels - all very good, but these Klusons are the best tuners I've ever used!
    Thanks so much! I just ordered them.

User Info Menu

Kluson 3+3 Revolution Series G-Mount Tuners - StewMac
    Update: The tuners do not fit. The screw holes match but the tuners require 10mm holes, I have 9mm holes. I am now trying to decide if I should ream out the holes or scrap this project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wharriso
    Update: The tuners do not fit. The screw holes match but the tuners require 10mm holes, I have 9mm holes. I am now trying to decide if I should ream out the holes or scrap this project.
    Why not exchange them for ones that fit? Stewmac has other Kluson tuners for 8.8 and 9mm pegholes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    Why not exchange them for ones that fit? Stewmac has other Kluson tuners for 8.8 and 9mm pegholes.
    I have been looking but I am having a lot of trouble searching by peghole size.

User Info Menu

Wow - sorry if I steered you wrong! (My tech said that ...) mine were a drop-in replacement! Weird!
    If it were me, I'd ream the holes, as I think the switch to the new tuners is worth it. But, of course, that's your call.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wharriso
    Those are the wrong version of the Revolution tuners for replacing Kluson-Deluxe style tuners. You need the non-collared one for press-fit bushings. I Installed a set of these on a Godin Kingpin without having to ream out the hole or re-drill anything:

Kluson 3+3 Locking Revolution Series G-Mount Non-Collared Tuners - StewMac

It looks like stewmac doesn't have the non-locking version, but WD (the company that makes and distributes Kluson) does. I put a set of these on another guitar (a Seventy Seven) that had Gotoh Kluson-style tuners (same thing as what's on Godins), again without having to ream or re-drill.

Kluson 3 Per Side Revolution Series G-Mount Non-Collared Tuning Machines.

Full disclosure, I got the locking ones I put in my Godin used and one turned out to be defective (it was very stiff, and the knob eventually broke off after a few months), so I swapped back the originals. But the non-locking ones in my Seventy-seven are great. The smoothest and most precise tuners I've ever had.
    Last edited by John A.; 05-16-2023 at 12:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow - sorry if I steered you wrong! (My tech said that ...) mine were a drop-in replacement! Weird!
    If it were me, I'd ream the holes, as I think the switch to the new tuners is worth it. But, of course, that's your call.
    Yeah, tough call. The problem with reaming is that there is no going back. I hate making permanent mods to guitars, I have sold many for much more than I paid for them.

User Info Menu

Stewmac Golden Age Vintage tuners are a drop-in fit for 5th Avenues.

Golden Age Vintage Keystone-style 3+3 Tuning Machines - StewMac

User Info Menu

Wonder if Hipshot locking tuners would fit. I put some on a Voyage Air guitar, and they are awesome. Much less bulky and heavy than one might imagine. And look great. (They have a plate that is adjustable for different screw hole configurations.)

They’re currently my favorite for tuner replacements unless one is going for that OEM/vintage vibe.