The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi
    I have a L5 wes from 2012 which has a very nice sound. Today I made a strange discover.
    brace.MOV - Google Drive
    You should enable sound
    I try this on all of my other guitar and no one has this comportement. I obviously don t press with pression. And it doesn’t depend on where the guitar stand.
    So a brace unglue? a normal comportement for a x brace?
    any idea or advice?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say it's normal, but I also can't say what the cause is, just from that video.

the sound appears when I press the top after the f hole (small pression obviously)

User Info Menu

Definitely not normal. Loose brace possibly or something not stable. A good inspection mirror inside while you are doing this. Frankly it could have been like this a long time. Try it holding guitar in different ways and places. Unusual and why? Does not necessarily mean guitar is going to explode.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a loose brace. L-5 typically have small braces perpendicular to the main parallel braces. AFAIK, there might be one in that area. As said before, get a inspection mirror and inspect through the f-hole.

User Info Menu

Stick your phone into the f-hole and take a photo !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Stick your phone into the f-hole and take a photo !
    I'm in doubt that the camera objective will catch the problem zone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    I'm in doubt that the camera objective will catch the problem zone.
    No, but it might create another issue that can help distract from the original problem, i.e. "How do I retrieve my phone without taking this damn thing apart?"

User Info Menu

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DDENDOCAM-W..._rpt_ba_s_1_sc

i bought one of these recently ,
    it works well inside a guitar to find
    problems etc

I took a small mirror and I think I have identified the issue.
    there is the main brace and a small perpendicular one. The junction of the main brace and the small one seems to be in this zone and it may (hard to see from f-hole) be the junction which has a small space (and can make sound if we push form table). I see something on this small brace, can't tell if it's a crack or wood mark...I will look for better light and a camera.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of my L5s pickup rattling in the plastic mount.

Ok. here is some pics
    strange behavior with Gibson L5 wes-brace-jpg
    strange behavior with Gibson L5 wes-img_9861-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images strange behavior with Gibson L5 wes-brace-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Reminds me of my L5s pickup rattling in the plastic mount.
    In contradiction to the described issue the rattling pickup in archtops is by default. A Noble Price for the one who will find a solution (beside small pieces of folded paper stuck between pickup and mounting ring).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hub
    Ok. here is some pics
    strange behavior with Gibson L5 wes-brace-jpg
    strange behavior with Gibson L5 wes-img_9861-jpg
    Yes it looks like like a crack in the brace and actually I think not common based on the way it is show. I will take some glue (titebond) and then clamp it close. Looks like you I could get a long skinny clamp in the f hole and glue with a brush or even using my fingers to work glue in. Clamp it for 24 hours and check to see the crack closes. Probably then your are done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Yes it looks like like a crack in the brace
    if that’s what’s causing the sound, it’d be good to know what caused the crack. Could it have been dehydration? I keep a humidipack in an f-hole of each of my archtops to maintain humidity inside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    if that’s what’s causing the sound, it’d be good to know what caused the crack. Could it have been dehydration? I keep a humidipack in an f-hole of each of my archtops to maintain humidity inside.
    Could be dehydration but maybe not at all. Probably not going to find the reason. I have never used any of the those devices in my guitars for humidity ever and most of my guitars have been with me for 50-25 years. Sometimes those things leak and get water on guitar. I have had to do a repair for someone because of them.

I will be very astonished that dehydration brake the brace but leave untouch the top. Generally, the first symptom aren't neck?
    Since I have the guitar, always 50% of humidity...I have other instruments for years and check this.
    But the guitar has a story...
    Last edited by Hub; 04-17-2023 at 03:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Could be dehydration but maybe not at all. Probably not going to find the reason. I have never used any of the those devices in my guitars for humidity ever and most of my guitars have been with me for 50-25 years. Sometimes those things leak and get water on guitar. I have had to do a repair for someone because of them.
    I always worried about wet sponges and such in guitars, so I never used the old style “humidifiers”. But the Boveda packs (sold under both their name and D’Addario) are a different animal. The bags are filled with a gel that releases water vapor into air that’s drier than about 40% and takes it in if the relative humidity around it is greater than about 60%. I keep them in form fitting outer pouches that are also permeable to water vapor, and I’ve never seen or felt any water on or around them.

I rehydrate them in a closed Tupperware container with a cup of water in it. Each one rehydrates well within a week or so. After 5 or 6 cycles, the gel starts feeling grainy and the pack no longer regains the feeling of being filled with a thin liquids gel - and that’s when I toss them. This has worked well for me over several years now.

User Info Menu

In contradiction to the described issue the rattling pickup in archtops is by default. A Noble Price for the one who will find a solution (beside small pieces of folded paper stuck between pickup and mounting ring).
    Try replacing the springs with rubber or silicone tubing. It can take some trial and error to get the ideal length, but tubing is cheap. It's also possible to get slightly larger tubing and put the springs inside it, using both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Try replacing the springs with rubber or silicone tubing. It can take some trial and error to get the ideal length, but tubing is cheap. It's also possible to get slightly larger tubing and put the springs inside it, using both.
    Thanks for your tip.
    Yes, I did this as a standard procedure on every archtop with set-in PUs when I got them. But it won't eliminate the rattling in total. The little paper chips are still required...

User Info Menu

Wrap the pickup covers with black electrical tape, positioned just above the height where the pickup covers poke up above the pickup rings. Not noticeable, reversible, and works quite well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Wrap the pickup covers with black electrical tape, positioned just above the height where the pickup covers poke up above the pickup rings. Not noticeable, reversible, and works quite well.
    Thanks.
    I will try!