The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hi
    hope this is ok to post but just thought I would ask and see if any luthiers need a guitarist to demo their arch tops. I am happy to invest in better recording equipment and I don't want paying but I would like a guitar in return I know it might be a big ask but im happy to demo as many guitars as you want and I have lots of time. I can do chord solos or tunes or whatever.
    I am based in the UK and here is a link

I just thought I would ask as you never know, I might get lucky. I guess it would be a pain shipping guitars back and forth but DPD and a few other couriers are doing a wonderful service these days and are offering next day delivery or travelling in the uk could be an option too.
    Thanks for reading and hope its not too cheeky

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lol

Hi yes some good points there and thanks for your insight its much appreciated. I just see a lot of guitar shops that have staff playing £8000+ arch tops and thought that it could be something I could offer.
    I do do gigs and am doing some professional filming in a couple of weeks but I would do whatever the builder wants me to do. If its to show of the acoustic tone or sustain or its electric attributes whatever. I would invest in good gear to showcase the instrument but maybe im dreaming.
    Anyway ill let you know if Bob Benedetto sends me 20 guitars to demo and says I can keep my favourite

I also only want one guitar for myself Ive never had the need for more than that

User Info Menu

did you record that in the Grand Canyon?

what about luthiers that are starting out or have no reputation yet. thats all I was thinking

Hi many thanks for the fair points you have raised it is appreciated. Im not after an expensive archtop I can't afford. I have never played anything above £4000 ive never had the money or chance.
    Archtop guitars I the UK are not that easy to come by. There are only two shops now, there used to be be five. What they have in stock is a bit over priced in my opinion and experience but im not after a £7000 guitar.
    you raise valid points about a luthiers time but my degree in jazz took four years and cost 30,000 Australian dollars and although It may not sound like it but ive been practicing 5 hours a day for the last 15 years.
    Maybe you could tell us more about the players you have given guitars to are they well known or do they just do a lot of gigs. I live in a small rural area but always get people asking me about my guitar when I play live and I enjoy talking about guitars.
    Ive owned many higher end arch tops but nothing over £4000 but prices seemed to have gone up over the last 3 years.
    I was thinking that someone might like another person to play some of their guitars and spend a good few hours with each one, then do a video, good quality and then maybe after a year or two they can give me a free guitar if they feel that is fair but no worries if not.
    In the words of 12 angry men, I thought I would run it up the flagpole and see if anyone sings the national anthem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Giving away a guitar that you just spent 120 hours building while still on the learning curve of how to bring that down to 80 is not something any luthier would ever do.
    I'd given guitars to players to get my work out there, but it is a special relationship. They tour and they make my instruments sound their best. Those players put more time into their craft than I do. What the public hears is the convergence of excellence.
    If your goal is to acquire an instrument you can't afford, you're not going about it in a realistic way. Is there a Guitar Center close to where you live? Can you get a job with them?

What can you offer a luthier that would be worth 6 months' of their life? How would you propose to generate sales for them? Set your self a project and a goal that takes 6-9 months of your life and ask yourself at the end of that "Should I give this away to a stranger with your skill? Why?" I think this is a fair question that can help keep perspective.
    What kind of guitar are you looking for?
    +Quite a few luthiers are excellent guitarists in their own right... Bill Comins, Victor Baker, Roger Sadowsky, Stephen Marchione and many others, if not all......

But heck, I'd want a free one too....?? free one - YouTube

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi many thanks for the fair points you have raised it is appreciated. Im not after an expensive archtop I can't afford. I have never played anything above £4000 ive never had the money or chance.
    Archtop guitars I the UK are not that easy to come by. There are only two shops now, there used to be be five. What they have in stock is a bit over priced in my opinion and experience but im not after a £7000 guitar.
    you raise valid points about a luthiers time but my degree in jazz took four years and cost 30,000 Australian dollars and although It may not sound like it but ive been practicing 5 hours a day for the last 15 years.
    Maybe you could tell us more about the players you have given guitars to are they well known or do they just do a lot of gigs. I live in a small rural area but always get people asking me about my guitar when I play live and I enjoy talking about guitars.
    Ive owned many higher end arch tops but nothing over £4000 but prices seemed to have gone up over the last 3 years.
    I was thinking that someone might like another person to play some of their guitars and spend a good few hours with each one, then do a video, good quality and then maybe after a year or two they can give me a free guitar if they feel that is fair but no worries if not.
    In the words of 12 angry men, I thought I would run it up the flagpole and see if anyone sings the national anthem
    I still can't tell if you are sincerely naive or totally trolling. Look and listen to the video that you posted. Think of it as your resume to luthiers out there. First, your presentation is a mess because of the clutter filling every inch of the screen. Secondly, no one can tell if you dropped 30 grand into a jazz degree because the video you posted has your playing drowned out in reverb. BUT, the biggest issue you don't seem to grasp is that luthier's don't give away instruments to cats in their basements. They give them to Bobby Broom or Kurt Rosenwinkel because it will lead to sales. Maybe spend the next 30 years in the trenches and build enough of a following. In the meantime, mate... start saving if you want a nice archtop.

Hi,
    I think we are in a different league lol but I do appreciate your advice and critique. I would love to know what name your guitars go under so I can have a look at what you make.
    Those guitarists are among my favourite and I always try to take note of what they are playing but ive only ever seen Mick Goodrick and Bill Frissell with solid bodies.
    for years I owned a Gibson 175 and that was my only guitar. when my parents died I had a small inheritance and I wanted to find out what the more expensive arch tops were like so went through a four year period trying out different guitars one at a time. Ive been very lucky and have owned some nice instruments and the slaman I own now is great but Im liking the more modern styles.
    I think maybe I have too much time on my hands and I often spend my downtime looking at and researching guitars when I should be grateful for what I have.
    I really appreciate your input and I would love to know more about the circumstances in which you decided to get together with those guitarists and create an instrument for each one

User Info Menu

Sure, ask. But I think you are asking in the wrong place. This is a forum for jazz guitar players, not builders.

Post your request at a luthiers’ forum. Who knows?

Just know that there are literally thousands of back yard builders, but less than a dozen boutique builders who actually make a living building archtop guitars. You may be able to find someone locally working on their third guitar, thinking it would be nice to have someone play their instrument.

On the other hand, you can usually get a good studio musician with a decent home setup to play an hour or 90 minutes for $500 or less. So giving you a guitar they spent 150 hours, used thousands of dollars of woodworking and specialized equipment, and near $500 in supplies to make may be a big ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Jimmy blue note
    thanks for those words, I appreciate it very much. I will keep practicing and ill send you a link of the gig I am having filmed but I know I have some ways to go.
    I hope I haven't upset anyone via this post but I appreciate everyones feedback and will take on board what everyone has said. All I want is to reach my full potential as a guitarist and for the last 10 years I have been my own teacher so I am doing my best. I will check out Westland guitars and will look forward to seeing them. I do love looking at guitars.
    You have raised some good points and thanks for taking the time to reply and give me your insight, cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I have them built to my spec from a shop I have outside of Beijing and sold under my Westland name here in Boston.
    Since we're asking away ... my old singer friend Henk would like royalties for you using his good Dutch name on a Chinese product

EDIT: can't seem to find a site for your brand?

User Info Menu

"you never know, I might get lucky"

Used to say that in the bar after a few beers.

User Info Menu

Actually I’m on the look out for a up to snuff Jazz guitarist to demo the guitars I will build.

I’d be more interested in someone coming to the workshop and me doing the engineering and videography.

I’m trying to wear too many hats right now and my biggest weakness is currently my playing, since I don’t find the time or energy, to do any
    meaningful practice.

I’ve got some ppl in mind already but your advert certainly would appeal to some like me, although not many about, especially in the UK.

Can you record something without the effects and without a backing track?
    if you want to advertise guitars tone, you need to hear it un adulterated.

I think you’re quite brave and you’ve been forthright in seeking to do something you would enjoy. Good on you I say! The Uk market is a tough place.

Perhaps our American friends have never heard the great British expression “he who dares, wins”!
    Last edited by Archie; 03-29-2023 at 01:17 AM.

Hi thanks for all the comments and opinions. I have taken peoples advice and started to use less effects as I have been relying on them a lot. Archtop heaven, I would love. to come down and check out what you are making and see some guitars.
    I have just quickly recorded two solo tunes. I didn't spend much time as I am practicing for a gig next week, but I took the effects off.

I only have a cheap set up for recording as I only record to reference and see what needs work.

my guitar is also stuffed with cotton to eliminate feed back too
    Thanks for the response. Its much appreciated and thanks for the input cheers