The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Getting ready to jump into this project. 1969 Hagstrom Jimmy D’Aquisto design. It’s gonna be a fun one…

will keep the thread up to date

69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-e3e3f654-f0c3-467c-bc89-05b3fe6b3ca4-jpg69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-e0ee947a-2ed9-491f-8a40-202250f4a400-jpg69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-52847a20-1e06-46de-beb8-f1d7a6560a68-jpg69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-99637036-8abb-4375-866e-399095a4cdc9-jpg69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-954ade63-e2ee-4099-8697-c3741361ed23-jpg69’ Hagstrom Jimmy Resto-ca4995f4-6ac4-42a8-b5c4-7d9958ec327f-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Way cool. I had the newer Chinese version and actually really liked it. Would have loved to have an original.

User Info Menu

I have a 77 version.

Good luck with your refin. I’ll watch with interest.
    Does it have sound post?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I have a 77 version.

Good luck with your refin. I’ll watch with interest.
    Does it have sound post?
    not sure - have not gotten the pickups out yet. I assume so, my 1977 does and my oval hole does as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadjohneto
    Getting ready to jump into this project. 1969 Hagstrom Jimmy D’Aquisto design. It’s gonna be a fun one…
    Watching eagerly. Just picked up a ca. 1969 Jimmy with similar problems to yours. I guess that the case rubbed through to the foam, and the foam outgassed, and it's not pretty.
    But this is a grab-and-go beater so rather than refinishing I'm covering up with a home-made a D'A-style pickguard.

Those pickups are top notch -- it's a tremendous sound-for-dollar buys. And the 2.75" depth is better for my shoulder too.
    I had been contemplating sinking bucks into another Fender D'A Elite. So far I'm glad to have gone the HD'A instead at a fraction of the cost.

But man, the acoustic rattles! Maybe it's broken pickup surrounds; maybe it needs better springs; maybe the wires are rattling; maybe the bridge is funky . . .
    None of that comes through the amp. Big, bold, transparent . . . quantity and quality, and beatable too.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Does it have sound post?
    Mine does not.

Chad, somebody rewired the top tone-flipper switch -- it's now got open, full roll-off and grounded / kill.
    Can you shed any light on what the factory setup was for that switch?

I'm also curious about the evolution of the model.
    Was the dot-board / no-lozenge-peghead made alongside the block-board / lozenge peghead model, like a 'Standard' / 'Deluxe' thing?
    Did the plain one come first and the spiffy stuff later?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadjohneto
    Covering up some of the pickguard stain with home-made BRW pickguard.
    I could picture a little more D'A-oriented rounding at the bottom point, but I could just leave it too.
    Sorta-kinda D'A-style cocobolo knobs -- an Etsy splurge.

It is a fun guitar, with a bold neck pickup and nice zing in the middle position.
    The 24 5/8" scale is a new variant for me but only 0.13" shorter than "standard short."
    And how can you beat the mystique of "The Forgotten D'Aquisto" ?