The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Thought I would shoot these two photos or a pickguard I am making for an excel cutaway. The first cutout looks ok but then adding the binding it actually starts looking bad before you get done. I have one more layer of thicker white on the top. I post a follow up after I am finished. These are a pain in the butt to get right. There are probably easier ways to get it correct but this was the way Barker did his.
    Replica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-img_2504-jpgReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-img_2505-jpg

Not flawless but once on the guitar all the things converge to be acceptable. The color and material I really like.

Replica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-img_2513-jpgReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-img_2510-jpgReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-img_2512-jpg
    Last edited by deacon Mark; 03-05-2023 at 05:19 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Where do you get your stock? I can't find a place that sells tortoise thick enough for an archtop pickguard.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Where do you get your stock? I can't find a place that sells tortoise thick enough for an archtop pickguard.
    I got this at some plastic company on the internet. I cannot remember the outfit. They sell huge sheets but had samples that were about 2 feet squares. This stuff is great because it is thick and like the guards to be thick as they can be. It gives sturdiness needed if a pickup is going on or if you are someone who anchors you hand or fingers on the pickguard. I bought some stock samples and one that is a cool goldish and yellow tortoise pattern. Would be perfect for a blond guitar. I quite making L5 guards it is cheaper to buy the already made ones. I can't make one for $65 and turn much if any profit. I stick to the odd ones that no one has.

User Info Menu

Replica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-df57edea-ca31-44b2-b840-2c50ed158fc6-jpeg

here is one I did for my 1959 Excel Electric. Traced from an original guard. Super hard to get the shapes and mitres all perfect ! Good luck finishing yours

Making these is just time consuming and going faster does not help. Have to put it way for a bit as the glue dries. I wonder how others do the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Making these is just time consuming and going faster does not help. Have to put it way for a bit as the glue dries. I wonder how others do the process.
    I always got gaps when I try to attach the binding with just tape or rubber bands , so switched to nails. Lot more work though.

Replica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-42e9301c-300a-43b9-b5e9-0577135dd436-jpegReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-95ff8f63-0af7-4865-8c5d-abb1d754d163-jpegReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-8de7434e-7f56-4191-a9f8-ed5369ff0c7f-jpegReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-15860c62-3907-4b7d-a5fe-cf2af4ecf1a2-jpegReplica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-2c48f38d-e741-4cfe-ab9f-4026499864c2-jpeg

User Info Menu

I'm having trouble finding stock as well. Just want to make a couple for my own use.

Stew mac has the material I wish it were a bit thicker but it works They are high cost but probably an alternative..

User Info Menu

FYI this stuff is expensive but it's the only source I've found that is the correct thickness for an archtop. .125" Tortoise Pickguard Material, "Autumn Sunset"

This is what TK smith used for mine, and they're hands down the most beautiful pickguards I have.

User Info Menu

$48.00 for shipping! For an 8"x9" piece. It appears that UPS says it's hazardous material and charges a big service fee. That comes to well over $100 total. I'm afraid I just don't need a new pickguard for my old Epi that bad. The wooden one I made will have to do.

If the pickguard material is hazardous then it is not the best to use and can gas. Best to use ABS plastic and there are sources you just have to keep looking. I bought some a few years ago and still have some but can always use more. I for one would not be paying what the place is asking for a sheet of the material. $48 like sgo said before you buy anything.

User Info Menu

UPS upcharging for hazardous material doesn't automatically mean it's hazardous to your health. There are many materials that are classified as hazardous for shipping, especially by air, but aren't particularly hazardous to use. Lithium batteries, for example. And magnets. Magnetic material must be declared and can be refused for air transport, because strong magnets can affect the aircraft systems, especially magnetic compasses. I haven't dealt with this since I retired, and I don't remember there being problems with celluloid nitrate, but if UPS wants to charge for it, they can, and apparently do. I agree that there are better materials, but if you insist on the vintage look, ABS won't make the grade, and you may have to pay up. Me, I'll keep what I have.

User Info Menu

If you are willing to go with wood, there are a lot of options. Matt Cushman used a headpiece plate from Luthier's Mercantile to make a replacement pickguard for my GB10. I think it is cocobolo replacing tortoise celluloid or whatever material, the color palette is an excellent match.

User Info Menu

I went cheap, several years ago, to make a replacement for the badly warped pickguard on my old Epi. I went down to a big box home improvement store and bought a piece of maple of the approximate thickness, clamped the old pickguard to it and traced the outline, and cut it out. After smoothing, etc, I used black shoe dye to make it look like some sort of ebony imitation, then finished that with Tru-Oil. It's far from authentic looking, but it works. I would replace it with tortoise if I could find some reasonably priced, but I've given up on looking. I don't even keep the pickguard installed most of the time.

User Info Menu

Hi would you be a able to make me a scalini d'angelico exel bound pick guard like the one at the top of the thread. Id like black plastic or black wood if thats ok and one cutout for a single pickup no holes needed cheers and many thanks Let me know if you can help cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images Replica D'angelico Excel Pickguard in process.  Pickguard done update-sexl1pgblk-768x768-png 

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi would you be a able to make me a scalini d'angelico exel bound pick guard like the one at the top of the thread. Id like black plastic or black wood if thats ok and one cutout for a single pickup no holes needed cheers and many thanks Let me know if you can help cheers
    I have a spare one of those pickguards exactly as shown that came on a D'angelico Reissue guitar. It is tortoise color and does have the holes but I can sell it to you cheaper than I can make one now. Let me know if you want it.

User Info Menu

Hi, many thanks for the offer its much appreciated thanks but I need black and without holes happy to pay you what it costs cheers and many thanks all the best. by the way im in the UK

User Info Menu

Check out the stuff that the eyeglass frames are made out of - lots of it around, in any shade ....

Catalog

| Mazzucchelli 1849

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Check out the stuff that the eyeglass frames are made out of - lots of it around, in any shade ....

Catalog

| Mazzucchelli 1849
    Beautiful stuff. Do I understand the purchase instructions? Looks like you have to buy over $300 worth (20 sheets) and it's 7cm X 17cm. Not quite big enough for most pickguards. Would be nice to get some of this material in the right size and thickness.

I made the pickguard above for a fellow, but he has never come through with the transaction. If someone would like this PM and I will sell it for $175. plus postage. It has some shop wear as I call it but otherwise would fine. It would require as always, the buyer to make the holes for the bracket mount.