The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I see many solid carved instruments with a resonant top but the back and sides appear to be from a single piece of wood carved out..any advantage/disadvantages to this technique?

A solid jazz solid Borys seems to have separate top back and sides......no F holes

this JOSINO SAVAIRA seems to have a solid top but carved out of one piece with F holes

A Victor Baker mahogany carved solid seems to also have a carved back and sides out of one piece no F holes...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stephen Marchione does his semi-hollow that way, the center 'block' is part of the back/sides.

Marchione Standard Semi-Hollow - Marchione Guitars

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    I see many solid carved instruments with a resonant top but the back and sides appear to be from a single piece of wood carved out..any advantage/disadvantages to this technique? ...
    I believe such bodies are usually carved out of a block by a CNC router. That probably makes it quicker and easier to build than traditional building methods with a hand-carved back, bent sides, and kerfed linings to provide gluing surfaces.

I don't know whether there's an acoustic difference. If the body has thicker wood compared to a traditional body and sides, it would mass more, which would affect the sound. But I have no experience with that, so my observation is mere speculation. If there's a center block that would certainly make a difference compared to a fully-hollow instrument, similar to some degree to an ES-335.

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    I believe such bodies are usually carved out of a block by a CNC router. That probably makes it quicker and easier to build than traditional building methods with a hand-carved back, bent sides, and kerfed linings to provide gluing surfaces.

I don't know whether there's an acoustic difference. If the body has thicker wood compared to a traditional body and sides, it would mass more, which would affect the sound. But I have no experience with that, so my observation is mere speculation. If there's a center block that would certainly make a difference compared to a fully-hollow instrument, similar to some degree to an ES-335.
    As far as I know the Victor Baker is CNCd but the Savaira is hand carved.The block is an integral part of the back and sides...

S