The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So obviously at a music shop, but most places aren't going to have a big assortment of neck profiles and if they do, It's not like they'd have each guitar tagged with the different neck profiles. I am asking because I plan to order a custom guitar within next year. If all else fails, I am going to go with the thick C (the martin performance artist one). But as a classical guitarist I am curious to know what a D and a U would feel like on a smaller neck width. I'd also like to know what a slim U and a slim D would feel like. I primarily do keep my thumb behind the neck, but with some voicings while doing walking bass, I do have to rise above the width of the neck. Which is why I'd like to know what a d and u would feel like on a smaller neck width. It is also worth noting that I do have a bit smaller hands but at the same time am a stickler for technique. I know this seems like a pretty sporadic question but wouldn't want to miss a chance on what could be the perfect neck for Raquel.

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    -Raquel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A music shop I used to frequent was staffed by knowledgeable people who could actually point to a guitar with a particular neck profile, so that would be key: finding a (large) shop with people who know their stuff. Good question.

User Info Menu

Check out all the strats and Teles, the different models have different neck shapes. I think the Ultra is a D.

Play everything you can and write down the models you like. When you order your custom guitar tell the builder what you like and don't like. If possible take a guitar that you do like with you - a good builder can measure the neck profile and make templates off of that.

If you are buying an archtop you might want to remember what Bob Benedetto said about neck shapes - traditionally they have been rounded shapes, "vee" or "flat" shapes have not been popular. He said that if you are building for yourself use any shape you like but if you are buildind to sell then traditional round shape is more marketable. I take that to mean that most of the archtops you will encounter will be rounded profiles.

Here I'm taking the profile off of a vintage les paul to use on another guitar

Where would I go to try out various specific guitar neck profiles in detail?-img_1486-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Perhaps take a trip to a place like Warmouth.

User Info Menu

Or a guitar show, where you could talk to a bunch of luthiers about some of the stuff in your other thread. Not to mention trying out some top level instruments.

User Info Menu

Find the nearest dealer to you that is a fender custom shop dealer. Not only does fender have a lot of different neck shapes, but the dimensions of the neck and profile are available in a spec sheet comes with every custom shop guitar.