The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have looked at this series of videos a number of times but would be interested in the comments of members here with greater knowledge than I possess regarding some of the methods used.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NL0s3cSLTDhNZC

Cheers

TLB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would not question the techniques of either D'Aquisto or Ken Parker. I do enjoy learning from Parker, so thanks for finding this. I hadn't seen it before, although I did watch and learn from his previous series. He knows a few things about archtop guitars.

User Info Menu

Most of what Parker did is pretty standard stuff. A couple of comments, though. His method of measuring relief is interesting, and I may start using that. The relief he gets, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, is about what I try to get, and it's a cheap and effective measuring method. I am completely in awe of his tuning ability. He just listens to a fork, then tunes without hesitation to pitch on most, if not all, of the strings. He doesn't inch up to pitch, he just goes straight to it. I will never be able to even approach that. If I hit the big lottery, a Ken Parker archtop will soon be mine, whatever the price I have to pay. But barring that, I can never even hope.

User Info Menu

I watched all the videos and wow that was cool. He definitely does things a bit differently than many but it works. There are as many ways to dress frets as there are fret-dressers for sure. I might give one of those techniques a try sometime. Thank you for the post on this.
    T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    He just listens to a fork, then tunes without hesitation to pitch on most, if not all, of the strings. He doesn't inch up to pitch, he just goes straight to it.
    That's more impressive than having more or less absolute pitch and sufficiently accurate hearing to determine pitch through the overtones. I still tend to overshoot when tuning my archtop, undoubtedly because tension distribution over the 3 string sections isn't as immediate as I think.
    Now, not to kick against any pedestals, but I've already wrongly admired one of my favourite players for doing his frequent tuning changes by ear ... until I realised he had one of those sneaky tuners hidden behind the headstock where the public can't see it. Ken may have a big (and undoubtedly home-made strobe) tuner mounted on a wall outside of the camera's view

User Info Menu

Those D'Addario tuners are very convenient. I have them on some of my guitars. They mount using one of the screws holding a tuning machine in place, and they're always available, no need to find a tuner and clip it on the headstock and get it in position to see it. They're just like the mini stealth tuners that clip to the headstock, just mounted differently. The string vibrations are transmitted efficiently, and IME they're very accurate. But I believe that Parker just does it by ear. A tuner can't react that fast, even if it's attached to the guitar, nevermind several feet away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I would not question the techniques of either D'Aquisto or Ken Parker. I do enjoy learning from Parker, so thanks for finding this. I hadn't seen it before, although I did watch and learn from his previous series. He knows a few things about archtop guitars.
    Was not planning to question either of them but interested in the difference between his methods and others; but I would think that the way he does fret leveling might be something that could not be successfully managed without years of familiarity.