The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hello all, I have a question that's been surprisingly difficult to find an answer to — what is the overall length of a Charlie Christian pickup, specifically the original style with three mounting screws and bar magnets?

I have a harebrained idea to build a Strat "partscaster" with one of CC Pickups UK excellent pickups at the neck, and one of TK Smith's "C.A.R" Paul Bigbsy-style pickups at the bridge and I'd like to know if it's feasible.

As an aside, in my research, I was surprised to learn that forum member customxke has this pickup combination waiting for a build.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The depth is likely to be the problem, not the length. The entire pickup is deeper than a Strat body, I think. If it were me, I would use something like a Vintage Vibe CCRider pickup, which is a CC style pickup that will fit in a solid-body. I have one in a G&L Tele copy.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The depth is likely to be the problem, not the length. The entire pickup is deeper than a Strat body, I think. If it were me, I would use something like a Vintage Vibe CCRider pickup, which is a CC style pickup that will fit in a solid-body. I have one in a G&L Tele copy.
    I hadn't considered depth, so I looked it up. Standard Strat body has a thickness of 1.75". CC Pickups UK, who I'd be buying the pickup from, lists a depth of 36mm — converted to freedom units, that's about 1.42", so it looks like I'd be okay on the depth front, sort of. I absolutely couldn't get away with using a standard Strat body routed for a trem, but I think a hardtail body would be fine. I think the solution is to go even crazier and mount a "chopped" Bigsby B16 and Sorkin bridge to go with the C.A.R. Bigsby pickup.

I strongly considered the CCRider, but using an original configuration pickup with the massive bar magnets tickles my fancy a little more. I'm in a group playing a lot of Western swing and jump blues at the moment, and this guitar would sort of be the equivalent of building a hot rod from materials available in the period (1940s-early 1960s).

Now, if I only knew the overall length of the Charlie Christian pickup...

User Info Menu

If you want some inspiration, here's Rodney Gene Jr. playing some Country Jazz with a TK Smith CAR Pickup. Originally 'Hot Guitar Rag' George Barnes:

User Info Menu

Less than 30 seconds on Google turned up this: Size Chart It's somewhat confusing, but I think the arrows are drawn wrong. 96mm seems to be the length.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Less than 30 seconds on Google turned up this: Size Chart
    I linked it above, but the crucial dimension is the overall length on the x-axis — from the leading edge of the pickup to the screw at the end.

User Info Menu

As I edited, the diagram is a little confusing. But I think 96mm is the overall length, although I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

User Info Menu

Please feel free to contact us. CC Pickups

71 HIGH STREET
    CAM
    GLOUCESTERSHIRE
    GL11 5LD
    ENGLAND
    Tel: Colin on 07887368106

email: cosimini@btopenworld.com
    Here are three ways to ask your question the right way.

User Info Menu

I like CC pickups and have one on my tele. I'd do not like the standard attachment in archtop guitars. Have you got any idea, how is the attechment done here? I cannot see any screws...
    EASTMAN AR 605E 913291 | eBay
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Adhesive. Epoxy, double-sided mounting tape, something else. Various adhesives can be used.

User Info Menu

Could be a floater, or a lollar CC without the bracket, or anything really. There’s no way to know with blurry pictures and no description.