The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi friends, quick question. I just received a guitar from an estate type sale and discovered this (see pic) under the pickguard.
    Could this be spot repaired or would it require full refinish of the top? Also approx. how much would this damage detract from a guitars value?

This is a 2002 Custom H-575 with spruce top, Gold hardware and a Ren Wall (HRW) pickup.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images Finish damage on Heritage H-575-img_5898-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My guess is yes on a localized finish repair. The area will be under a new pickguard I imagine. That's what I would do. The value impact as is is probably 20-30% if I was interested. That would maybe cover the finish repair. Decent 575s sellers are asking in the low 3's.

How is the rest of the instrument condition?
    Are you wanting to flip it or keep it? If it's a great player, fix it. If it has other deficiencies and not your deal move it.

My 2 cents. I like these guitars especially with that pu.

I paid $4000, it has a bound ebony fingerboard, spruce top and gold hardware. (and presumably was in excellent shape ) Except for the damage its excellent, no major dings or scratches, sounds great and plays great. Also good acoustic tone ( a little midrange but fairly loud).

Thanks so much for the help.

Jeff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davang55
    I paid $4000, it has a bound ebony fingerboard, spruce top and gold hardware. (and presumably was in excellent shape ) Except for the damage its excellent, no major dings or scratches, sounds great and plays great. Also good acoustic tone ( a little midrange but fairly loud).

Jeff
    No one can do this analysis on the internet with a picture. It could be easy or very difficult cannot tell by looking. You have a great guitar and frankly the pickguard covers up the issue. This not bad at all and if you like the guitar is really needs nothing in a sense. There are many guitarists who look at guitars and think they need to always be as such new, and without flaws. This is not really possible if you play the guitar and use it as it was designed to do. It could very well just need some sanding a buffing to make it look quite fine. Where do you live, I might be able to steer you to someone who can assess this guitar?

I'm in the Houston area. Thanks for taking the time to help.

User Info Menu

I don't know if they do repairs like this, but you might want to call Fuller's Vintage in Houston to see if they know anyone local.

Nice guitar! I took the pickguard off of my 575 since I mostly play fingerstyle and don't really need a pickguard. You might want to just make sure the damage is stable and put the pickguard back on.

I don't really like the pointy pickguards that Heritage uses. One my 535, I have more of a Gibson style pick guard (installed by a former owner) that I prefer. That's another option you might want to consider.

Fullers Guitar | Acoustic & Electric Guitars, Bass, Mandolins, Amps & More! Fast Free Shipping - Fuller's Guitar

Finish damage on Heritage H-575-heritage-575_front-body-jpg Finish damage on Heritage H-575-heritage-535_front-close-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 11-20-2022 at 06:33 AM.

User Info Menu

You could get a good Luthier to do a spot repair, as it is under the pickguard it is a bit less critical. Ideally I would refinish the top. I did this recently on a 70 yr old archtop that was my dads.

User Info Menu

Jeff
    Jeff,

I enjoy reading and thinking about your guitar and what might be in store for the two of you. You're on a good path and I expect whatever you decide to do will be very good. It certainly would be good to hear an update when things get settled.

These guitars reflect a personality and vibe that is very enjoyable.

Cheers

Steve

User Info Menu

Hi, D,
    Looks like "gassing" from the pickguard . . . common among some older instruments. The same thing happened to my brother's ES125TDC I inherited that was kept in the attic in Florida for years. Fortunately, I didn't have surface damage but the pickguard disintegrated when I removed it. Unless you're a collector, take it to a qualified luthier and have him fix it.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

The H-575 Custom spruce top is the guitar that Mimi Fox plays (basically). There are not many available.

If it bothers you, refinish the top. It might look nice as a natural. It doesn't look like the spruce is damaged.

Here is an article about Vince Lewis and his Heritage. He has a HRW pickup on his. That pickup does sound good to me as the neck pickup on an archtop.

Jazz Guitar Beauties: Custom Trans-Amber Quilted Maple Heritage Archtop – Vince Lewis – Jazz Guitar Life

User Info Menu

I would take it to Ed Schaefer in Austin he knows what he is doing!
    Schaefer Guitars – Custom guitars made in Austin, TX

User Info Menu

He's sending it back. Good decision imo.

Thanks for your interest. I put all the factors into consideration mentioned here on the forum and returned the guitar. It was a nice one, but I had a feee ticket to return especially since I overpaid anyway.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your interest. I put all the factors into consideration mentioned here on the forum and returned the guitar. It was a nice one, but I had a feee ticket to return especially since I overpaid anyway.
    Smart move. H575's turn up fairly regularly on Reverb and other sites. Keep an eye out and the right one will show up. Good hunting.