The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Well, for the second time in about a month, I dropped a pencil point on my LoPrinzi Classical while making notes on a manuscript. There are two perfect pencil point marks on the face of the guitar . . . perhaps, indiscernible for some, but bothersome for me. Any way to remove the pin point discoloration? I tried mineral spirits with a cue-tip. It didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks in advance . . .
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but hopefully somebody will chime in.

However, your situation reminds me of a time that I had a beautiful, mint condition, 1970s Guild Artist Award. The top was flawless and the finish was natural, rather than sunburst. Just one time of my being careless, I accidentally whacked the top with the plug on a guitar cable and put a nice plug sized dent in the top. I find it interesting that from then on, when I looked at that guitar, all I saw was that dent and not the much larger portion of perfect guitar top. I eventually sold that guitar because the string spacing was a bit too narrow for me to play comfortably.

Until the humidity drops with winter heating, when I will keep my current archtop in its case, I keep it on a stand ready to play EXCEPT that when not being played, I cover it with a large dark bath towel to both protect the finish from fading in the sunlight and from any accidental "love taps".

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Sorry that I don't have an answer for you, but hopefully somebody will chime in.

However, your situation reminds me of a time that I had a beautiful, mint condition, 1970s Guild Artist Award. The top was flawless and the finish was natural, rather than sunburst. Just one time of my being careless, I accidentally whacked the top with the plug on a guitar cable and put a nice plug sized dent in the top. I find it interesting that from then on, when I looked at that guitar, all I saw was that dent and not the much larger portion of perfect guitar top. I eventually sold that guitar because the string spacing was a bit too narrow for me to play comfortably.

Until the humidity drops with winter heating, when I will keep my current archtop in its case, I keep it on a stand ready to play EXCEPT that when not being played, I cover it with a large dark bath towel to both protect the finish from fading in the sunlight and from any accidental "love taps".

Tony
    Hi, T,
    I did it when taking a pause from playing. I, like you, am very careful(read neurotic) with my instruments.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, T,
    I did it when taking a pause from playing. I, like you, am very careful(read neurotic) with my instruments.
    Marinero
    I sincerely hope you can get to a good solution. Also, I hope you didn't interpret my story as a reflection on you. Your post just reminded me of when a similar thing happened to me. In my case, it was carelessness, but that may well not be true in your case.

Tony

User Info Menu

Maybe give Richard and Marshall Brune a call? Location, Hours, and Contact — R. E. Brune, Luthier They've restored many a high end classical, if there's a good DIY repair method, they'd probably know it...

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Maybe give Richard and Marshall Brune a call? Location, Hours, and Contact — R. E. Brune, Luthier They've restored many a high end classical, if there's a good DIY repair method, they'd probably know it...

PK
    Hi, P,
    I bought one of his guitars and have had work done by him on several occasions. I thought a member here might have a solution because Richard usually says: "Just leave it if it's cosmetic." Thanks, P.

User Info Menu

try an eraser shaped into a pinpoint
    seriously....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    try an eraser shaped into a pinpoint
    seriously....
    Hi, W,
    Thanks for your reply however, the pencil was very sharp and it's more like a pin prick through the nitro finish. Any other thoughts?
    Marinero

User Info Menu

try it, it may work regardless

User Info Menu

It isn't clear to me if you have penetrated the finish or dented the wood. I have used the method below to fix a few dings in my French polished classical guitar. The method will work with a lacquer finish as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    It isn't clear to me if you have penetrated the finish or dented the wood. I have used the method below to fix a few dings in my French polished classical guitar. The method will work with a lacquer finish as well.

Hi, R,
    I penetrated the finish with a noticeable pin prick of pencil lead. I'll watch the video . . . thanks.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

If the dent has pencil graphite embedded in the top I would recommend removing the graphite marking first. Try putting a tiny piece of Magic Eraser on the end of a wood stick or a Q-tip with the cotton removed and rub gently

User Info Menu

If the dent has pencil graphite embedded in the top I would recommend removing the graphite marking first. Try putting a tiny piece of Magic Eraser on the end of a wood stick or a Q-tip with the cotton removed and rub gently
    Excellent video, R!
    There is no lead in the top . . . simply the mark. I tried the eraser again as Wintermoon suggested but the mark is below the lacquer and it had no effect. Is there any solution that wouldn't damage the finish but lighten the pencil point marks? It's my concert guitar . . . well, you know the rest.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

"the mark is below the lacquer"

that's why I suggested shaping the eraser into a point

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "the mark is below the lacquer"

that's why I suggested shaping the eraser into a point

Hi, W,
    I'll post a pix for clarity. Thanks.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

O.K.,
    Here's the guitar and the pix. Yes, I know this is a bit obsessive but . . . thanks in advance Marinero.
    Attached Images Attached Images Angst, Confusion, and Pencil Marks-img_2357-jpg Angst, Confusion, and Pencil Marks-img_2356-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    O.K.,
    Here's the guitar and the pix. Yes, I know this is a bit obsessive but . . . thanks in advance Marinero.
    That bottom photo looks like my set up atm. I got asked to do a duo on a classical piece so I have the music and metronome on the stand.
    I'm practicing Steve Vai style. Start at a very slow tempo and play what you are working on perfectly 11 times in a row then slowly increase the tempo.
    Vai says that he got his chops this way and I can see why. It's great for me due to my older hands. Starting slow gives a nice warm up and trains muscle memory at the same time.
    Nice photo

User Info Menu

If there isn't any residual graphite from the pencil, then the only way I would advise fixing it yourself would be via the drop fill method. See the video below for another example on a darker finish. This is time consuming and if you don't know what you are doing, you will make it much worse. If your guitar was built by Augustino Lo Prinzi, I suspect the finish is either shellac or varnish and not nitrocellulose.

User Info Menu

If there isn't any residual graphite from the pencil, then the only way I would advise fixing it yourself would be via the drop fill method. See the video below for another example on a darker finish. This is time consuming and if you don't know what you are doing, you will make it much worse. If your guitar was built by Augustino Lo Prinzi, I suspect the finish is either shellac or varnish and not nitrocellulose.

Hi, R,
    I don't think it's fixable and I'm going to live with it. One of the pencil marks is slightly lighter after applying Naptha in the hole with a toothpick. However, one of the marks seems irreparable. Also, I went to LoPrinzi's website and it shows that he uses hand-rubbed varnish so I stand corrected on the finish of my Spanish Grand Concert I bought from Augie over 20 years ago. Thanks again for your efforts.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Before trying anything else I would polish the areas with a medium abrasive lacquer polish:

Angst, Confusion, and Pencil Marks-510281a0-951b-4de8-baae-b75715cd34a3-jpeg

Maybe that‘s all it takes.

User Info Menu

Angst, Confusion, and Pencil Marks-images-jpg

User Info Menu

When I was at art school many years ago, I was told that before artists had rubber or composite based erasers they used white bread to remove graphite pencil marks on paper. It might be worth using a soft slice and tearing off small pieces that can be rolled around the pencil divot to absorb the graphite in the hole. I can’t see that this would cause any damage to the finish either unlike a more abrasive eraser.
    Good luck.

User Info Menu

Lacquer thinner dissolves pencil graphite very well. You can swell the divot with warm water on a rag.

User Info Menu

So sorry to hear of this accident. But... for something so small, consider the distinct possibility that an attempted at-home repair could make it worse. I'd just live with it as evidence that the guitar is played and loved. Else you could wind up looking at a complete refinish of the top, if not the whole body, over this.

I play hybrid-style with RH nails and a pick. One day I was ever-so-gently putting my prized Byrd back in its case and I poked a thumbnail right through the nitro finish. It is a very small ding but I was mortified. I knew the finish was delicate but this was a shocking surprise. Things like this can happen, careful as we may be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AS193
    Lacquer thinner dissolves pencil graphite very well. You can swell the divot with warm water on a rag.
    Thanks, AS,
    But I'm afraid, as Starjasmine states, that it could turn into what I call the proverbial "Chinese Nightmare."
    Marinero