The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As I've seen a few new builder's posts and did not see a mention of this issue already , many of the figured woods folks favor have some very unpleasent side effects. I've been woodworking for 58 years and wish I knew this in the early days.

This link ( there are several out there) provides good info on the species and their issues

Toxic Wood and Wood Allergies information

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most of these issues involve dust, presumably inhaled. Wood working without proper measures (masking, ventilation) has always been problematic. Long-term effects are not out of the question. Mask up, folks!

User Info Menu

Bill Pentz is an authority on wood dust collection systems. You can Google him. I did extensive research on this when I set up my woodshop and built a cyclone 5hp with 6" ducting and 4" gates to each major tool. Clearview has a good customizable product. That's what I did.

User Info Menu

I found out the hard way that ebony dust is extremely nasty to breathe. Never again without a dust mask!

User Info Menu

Well, a friend of mine who is a noted luthier bought some aged Brazilian Rosewood that he told me was of exceptional quality. However, after he got it back to his shop, he noticed a funny smell and couldn't identify the odor. He thought, perhaps, an animal was in the ceiling or walls of his shop but it continued for days. Finally, he went to look at the wood and he noticed the smell emanated from the wood itself but he still couldn't identify the odor. So, he called the supplier and related his story and asked "What is the smell?" The vendor replied, "Monkey piss . . . just monkey piss."
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I don't buy it.
    There are many timbers passed off as dalbergia nigra and there is a smell test. And, it is not "monkey piss" .
    I smell a rat not a monkey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    I don't buy it.
    There are many timbers passed off as dalbergia nigra and there is a smell test. And, it is not "monkey piss" .
    I smell a rat not a monkey.
    Well, then B,
    When it comes to piss, you're the authority!
    Marinero

User Info Menu

According to BandNameVault "Toxic Wood" is available.