The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I'll be replacing the neck pickup pot channel on my E335 copy, and noticed that the wires seem to have snapped or strained due to the pot wiggling. I read that if you don't use (or didn't have) star washers, aka serrated washers, they can spin, and mine did.

So I ordered new pots to be sure, have new wire, but now I'm wondering...

What size star washers do you use?

The sites I've looked at all say 3/8ths inch internal tooth washers, but I'm in a metric market and the m7 (closest match) seems to be nowhere to be found.
    The shafts are 7mm in diameter.

Thoughts?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

5/16ths are what I use. I'm sorry, that may not be of use in a metric environment. Do they have luthier supply places online where you are?

Everything is online shopping here. Arrives within a week usually, but a hassle if you buy the wrong ones.

I have some metric 6 ones on the way, and I'll see if they'll work.

User Info Menu

You don't have a hardware store? What happens if the seal on your toilet goes bad? Turn it off for a week while you wait for a part to come in the mail?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    You don't have a hardware store? What happens if the seal on your toilet goes bad?
    There are other ways you can deal with a bad seal.
    What size star washers do you use?-screen-shot-2022-08-05-11-39-36-am-png

So, first off, being on the road and travelling means things aren't reliable (then again, other than the ACE hardware chains in the US, metric fasteners and even SAE fasteners can be hard to source on short notice. Home Depot's fastener section near me is unbelievably disorganized and even empty.

My new life habit is to bust out my digital vernier calipers and measure in mms because that is precise globally and is never misunderstood. A photo also helps when I really need to get answers fast.

But it's not too bad. You order something you need and it arrives fast. Yes, there are local hardwares here, but it's just not likely they have any serrated washers. They all seem to source the same stuff from the same master suppliers. Specialized things like inner tooth serrated m7 washers don't even show up in search engines over here.

I might have to fab some from a soda can bottom.

User Info Menu

Aren’t they so inexpensive that you can order a few different sizes?

User Info Menu

Take your pot or whatever to the hardware store and find one that fits. This is completely normal behavior.

I'd have to walk you through the situation, which is the following.

All hardwares here are neighborhood franchises which are packed to the gills with practical purchases for stuff like apartments. Shower hose handle attachments, undersink PVC fittings etc.

I found one guy who had pure alcohol for soldering, but didn't have rosin core. Everything is hit or miss.

I like the idea of taking the pot with me. More likely my bag of 300 m6 inner tooth washers will arrive today/tomorrow and I'll have it then.

I'm sharing that there is a gap on all the size charts. I know m7 exists, but it is skipped on all the fittings charts over here.

Thanks for the help guys!

User Info Menu

Axesrus in the UK sell 5/8" and 8mm. I'm guessing they are the two most popular.

Everything here is metric and 8 mm is too much slop.

7mm is not offered, so unless I want to ship stuff from an SAE nation, I'm just better off fabbing my own.

User Info Menu

Washers are expected to have slop. 1mm is not much slop for a star washer, it's normal and often useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Washers are expected to have slop. 1mm is not much slop for a star washer, it's normal and often useful.
    Especially if you have a nut underneath on the pot to set the pot height through the guitar top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drewcifer
    Everything here is metric and 8 mm is too much slop.

7mm is not offered, so unless I want to ship stuff from an SAE nation, I'm just better off fabbing my own.
    Its a bit manly to fabricate your own washers, so go ahead.

I have a complete setup for metal casting, not that I strictly need it or save any money on it, but the satisfaction…

I now realize that the 8mm slop will be harmless, so that's not a big deal.
    I just wanted to share the oddity that stateside the size charts include m7 and globally they often skip over m 7. Strange. I can even buy m7 and ship them globally FROM the sates, but not find them here easily.

As for fabbing my own, I think I'll do it for the fun.