The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I wonder if the CF ones would be appropriate for use with nylon strings though - seems tricky to make a smooth hole in those.
    You need to use either diamond or solid carbide drill bits on CF. And these bits are brittle - so they should not be used in hand held drills. A drill press is best and safest.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    You need to use either diamond or solid carbide drill bits on CF. And these bits are brittle - so they should not be used in hand held drills. A drill press is best and safest.
    You can drill carbon fiber just fine with hss, the drill bit will dull fast though, but for 6 holes and the cost of a drill bit, no problem.

Good idea with a drill press anyhow, hand drilling something round with a app. 2 mm drill can be bit shaky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    ...Anyone else notice something weird about the posts of those Schertler tuners? The hole is way too low and would barely come above the bushing. Are you certain those aren't for a slotted headstock?
    EDIT: yep, they are. They also have the steel string version which (as expected) has the thinner post but the hole in approximately the same position. It should be free of headstock and bushing (15 mm from the base plate according to the schematics) but it would still oblige me to wind the string upwards on the post
    You are correct. I have drilled an additional hole higher up on each tuner post to convert them for use with paddle headstocks.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-02-2022 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

I got a eureka moment on another forum: it's trivial to remove the posts from open-back tuners like my Sta-Tites.

So, I got me some 8mm OD by 6mm ID brass and acrylic tubing, and set to play with the acrylic tube first. I think the pics are self-explanatory. I'm still waiting on a "hand-held drill press" so I went the not-done route for the holes: a soldering iron. (27°C in the coolest room of the house, some light DIY tinkering was about the only useful thing I could do).

I only did the lowest 2 strings for now (but prepared the caps for the others) as those tuners were still bare. Did & redid btw, because 2 drops of CA glue didn't suffice to block the caps even against the low tension of a nylon A and low E.

Meanwhile I saw that Thomann sell a Sta-Tite version designed for slothead steelies, so with posts of the same diameter but without the waist and with 2 holes. I may get a set of those; with a larger contact surface it should be less of an issue to fix caps in a non-slip fashion.
    Attached Images Attached Images Capping tuning posts?-img_7865-jpg Capping tuning posts?-img_7866-jpg Capping tuning posts?-img_7867-jpg Capping tuning posts?-img_7868-jpg Capping tuning posts?-img_7869-jpg Capping tuning posts?-img_7870-jpg