The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm playing a 1995 Super alongside a 2015 Super. I can dial in the '95 at a 3-4 volume, tops--great tone--but it takes the 2015 a 7-9 to get the same punch. This is probably another luthier visit, but just checking in first. Pickup height looks the same on both. The '95 has a new set of TI 12's; the 2015 has an older set of 11's, maybe 6 months. Is there something else here that would explain the difference in output?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I'm playing a 1995 Super alongside a 2015 Super. I can dial in the '95 at a 3-4 volume, tops--great tone--but it takes the 2015 a 7-9 to get the same punch. This is probably another luthier visit, but just checking in first. Pickup height looks the same on both. The '95 has a new set of TI 12's; the 2015 has an older set of 11's, maybe 6 months. Is there something else here that would explain the difference in output?
    What about their acoustic volume?

Are you sure they are the same pickups?

User Info Menu

Thicker strings = more magnetic mass vibrating in front of the coils = more volume

Put on same gauge of strings and compare again.

User Info Menu

Pot taper can also play a part, there is no linearity between degree of turn on the pot and perceived volume. Turn both fully open and measure with a db meter

User Info Menu

I have learnt with my Epi Broadway that string gauge is of utmost importance for volume, electric or acoustic.
    DonEsteban nailed it ! Good advice to follow (at the cost of a string set, so ...)

User Info Menu

Difference in distance between the strings and the pickup/polepieces is a definite factor. It doesn't take much distance to make a dramatic difference, even a millimeter can be heard. Different pickups - some have a different output, even the same models. More resistance in the wiring can make a difference. There are many things that can contribute to the different output levels, and it's impossible to say which is more important, without actually having he guitars in hand.

User Info Menu

Pot taper makes a huge difference.

User Info Menu

A difference of 1/8" in distance between pickup & string has a clear, audible effect on volume and tone.
    Even dropping the screws 1/8" and raising the entire unit 1/8" has an audible effect on tone.

A lot of 'tone stuff' is mojo but that doesn't mean that all the tone stuff is mojo. Big strings matter. Pickup vs string setup matters. Change of speakers matters.

I will leave to others the always-controversial topic of 'what doesn't matter.'