The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi
    So the neck join on my johnny smith came loose maybe damaged in transit. It has been fixed by a luthier but I can still see a mark long the join. Is there anyway I can refinish this myself. The luthier said he would do it but i have to wait a month to see if the repair holds. Its not that bad but if there is something I can do myself that would be great. Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers
    Last edited by Heybopper; 05-18-2022 at 09:31 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it's an expensive instrument, a luthier will do it best.

User Info Menu

Yes, it can be done diy, but if you havent tried before I would advice that you find out what the topcoat is and then create a test piece to practice on first. It can go wrong fast and furiously

User Info Menu

A luthier can do it fast, and easily and leave you with an invisible join. You can do it, but masking, blending, the risk of orange peeling if you spray, or brush lines if you don't, feathering and sanding down so the respray doesn't stand out...these are the bread and butter of a luthier who knows their finishes, and the places you can disappoint yourself if you don't do it right.
    There are good clips on YouTube that are really helpful if you decide to DIY and it's certainly within the realm of accomplishment for many people. I don't know your hand skills or level of patience (or your own inquisitive nature) so I'd say it can be done with care and caution and good instruction, and it can be more easily be accomplished in a few weeks in a luthier's shop.
    How's the repair feel? Put your guitar back where it needs to be?
    Good luck and many happy hours to you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Hi
    So the neck join on my slaman johnny smith came loose maybe damaged in transit. It has been fixed by a luthier but I can still see a mark long the join. Is there anyway I can refinish this myself. The luthier said he would do it but i have to wait a month to see if the repair holds. Its not that bad but if there is something I can do myself that would be great. Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers
    Damaged in transit? Please have the entire instrument checked for evident and hidden damage. It took some doing to do that, and the neck join may not be the only thing effected. There are things a trained professional can check and give you a clean bill of health on. It's worth it. Have them check the head join integrity especially. Sheesh, was it a new guitar sent to you for the first time? What shipping service, if I might ask?

User Info Menu

It's true that the luthier has the knowledge and experience ... he just isn't doing it the first time.

User Info Menu

The luthier said he would do it but i have to wait a month to see if the repair holds.
    Maybe you should wait a month to see if the repair holds and then have him repair the finish.

Hi
    many thanks for the advice its much appreciated. I will leave it for a luthier to do as advised I just wondered but I think ill wait now.
    It was a private sale. The guitar was built in 2012 so has been in someone elses hand until now. It arrived fine but after a week the join on the heel of the neck seperated. I asked the seller and he just wished me luck getting it repaired. It was parcelforce in the Uk that delivered it but like I say I was playing it everyday for 5 days before I saw it. The picture below was on day 5.
    Im lucky though I found a Luthier in the UK very local to me who I hadn't heard of before. I glued and clamped it and it was ready in 5 days and cost me £50 he said he can re finish it in a month for another £40 so im really pleased with that, Its just its my only guitar and I hate being without one for more than a couple of days thanks for everyones time and help, cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images can I refinish this small area on the neck :) any advice-img_0171-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Heybopper; 05-18-2022 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi
    many thanks for the advice its much appreciated. I will leave it for a luthier to do as advised I just wondered but I think ill wait now.
    It was a private sale. The guitar was built in 2012 so has been in someone elses hand until now. It arrived fine but after a week the join on the heel of the neck seperated. I asked Daniel Slaman himself but he never got back to me and the seller just wished me luck getting it repaired. It was parcelforce in the Uk that delivered it but like I say I was playing it everyday for 5 days before I saw it. The picture below was on day 5.
    Im lucky though I found a Luthier in the UK very local to me who I hadn't heard of before. I glued and clamped it and it was ready in 5 days and cost me £50 he said he can re finish it in a month for another £40 so im really pleased with that, Its just its my only guitar and I hate being without one for more than a couple of days thanks for everyones time and help, cheers
    Well, if you found a guy who does good work for that price, then hold on to him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Well, if you found a guy who does good work for that price, then hold on to him.
    If you find someone who does real good work at any price, hold onto them. A good luthier will save you many trips back to a mediocre one. I've seen both. Believe me.

User Info Menu

Good idea!

User Info Menu

Can you share a picture of the guitar?

User Info Menu

Very wise choice and good advice to employ a good luthier.

I've done a fair amount of finish work with nitro, and it's best left to someone experienced with it.

Hopefully, the structural damage has been adressed.

These issues cause stress to the owner, not just the instrument. And a good luthier can help both!

Cheers!