The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50
  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    The operation appears to have been successful. Behold, the Gibsellone Award:
    Attached Images Attached Images Resurrection-gibsellone-back-1-jpeg Resurrection-gibsellone-cutaway_5283_1-jpg Resurrection-gibsellone-headstock_5259_1-jpg Resurrection-7-gibsellone-stinger_5402-scaled-jpg Resurrection-gibsellone-back_5278_1-jpg Resurrection-gibsellone-face-1-jpeg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 07-19-2022 at 10:09 AM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    SS, in keeping with the 1952 provenance of the original:
    -nut width: 1 3/4"
    -depth at 1st fret: @0.93"
    -depth at 9th/10th fret: 1"
    -profile: early '50s fat C
    You'll get to play it in person soon enough, once I have it in my hands.

    excellent ! I have the same waffle back tuners on the Monty, they are my fave>!

    Looking forward to putting eyeballs on it in person

  4. #28

    User Info Menu

    That is one beautiful instrument!

  5. #29

    User Info Menu

    Big time WOW !

  6. #30

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, it is magnificent, well worth a gibson serial run. Wishful thinking no doubt

  7. #31

    User Info Menu

    Brilliant! It has an endpin jack?

  8. #32

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Brilliant! It has an endpin jack?
    It has one now, which is Mark's preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images Resurrection-campellone-gibl7p-39-rims-jack-hole-scraped-jpeg 

  9. #33

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    It has one now, which is Mark's preference.
    very nice repair !

  10. #34

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Of course, a Gibson-branded guitar should be carried around in a Gibson-branded case (well, the little leather pull tab for the case pocket says "Gibson.") that weighs a thousand pounds. The faux-ostrich covering is a fun bit of icing.
    A real ostrich skin case would probably be close to $6k. Maybe more. Just a guess.

  11. #35

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    A real ostrich skin case would probably be close to $6k. Maybe more. Just a guess.
    Yes. When I had the leather interior of the Bentley re-done in real ostrich skin, it cost thousands and thousands of dollars. To their credit, though, the folks at Connolly were real good about colour-matching it all to my favourite rig.



    I'll dig up a few pix. Here's what we did for exterior paint. I considered something similar for the Gibsellone, but decided instead to show off the funky wood figuring:



  12. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes. When I had the leather interior of the Bentley re-done in real ostrich skin, it cost thousands and thousands of dollars.
    Now I understand your pseudo I think - a subtle reference to your Liberace legacy?

  13. #37

    User Info Menu

    purple stank !! )

  14. #38

    User Info Menu

    Mark has added this guitar to his Gallery pages, here:
    Gallery | MCampellone.com | Page 7

  15. #39

    User Info Menu

    The journey is over - I picked up the guitar, and have spent a few hours with it. Mark is quite pleased, as am I. All is as it should be.


    Last edited by Hammertone; 08-29-2022 at 03:59 PM.

  16. #40

    User Info Menu

    Speaking of resurrection, in addition to the NOS Johnny Smith top used on the Gibsellone Award in the above pix, Mark also acquired a couple of other NOS Gibson carved replacement tops, also dating back to the '50s or '60s. One is a 16" L-4/L-4C top that has already been used on a 16" guitar in his current batch of instruments. Pix of that one to come.

    The other is a
    New Old Stock 17" L-7/L-7C/L-5/L-5C top, and it's available as an option for use on one of Mark's upcoming 17" instruments, at some kind of upcharge. You can see it resting comfortably against the wall in the background of the shop photo above.

    A real, carved Gibson top, in perfect condition, air-dried for the past @60 years? Seems like an attractive option to me, but I already got mine. How many of these are available, worldwide? One. This one. And it's gorgeous.





    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-02-2022 at 04:19 PM.

  17. #41

    User Info Menu

    That's a really nice looking guitar! That fingerboard is magnificent.

  18. #42

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    That's a really nice looking guitar! That fingerboard is magnificent.
    It's a standard Gibson L-5 fretboard. Mark refretted it (he didn't like the factory-installed frets that were on it) and replaced the outermost layer of white binding.

  19. #43

    User Info Menu

    Hey Hammertone, now that you've had it a bit, hit us with some detail in the tone/response report !

    Don't sell that one ! ....and dibs !!! ))

  20. #44

    User Info Menu

    Do you have pics of that top repair? The top looks flawless, how did Mark do that? Beautiful guitar. Would like to hear it being played.

  21. #45

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ColMc52
    Do you have pics of that top repair? The top looks flawless, how did Mark do that? Beautiful guitar. Would like to hear it being played.
    No top repair occurred. The top was replaced with a New Old Stock Gibson Johnny Smith top.

  22. #46

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdeluxe
    Hey Hammertone, now that you've had it a bit, hit us with some detail in the tone/response report ! Don't sell that one ! ....and dibs !!! ))
    Well, you have better ears than I, so, come over, listen to me playing it, play it yourself, and post what will be a far better assessment of its tone/response. I extend the same invitation to all of the members here.

    The guitar is currently strung with a set of Pyramid Hand-Polished Pure Nickel Classics - polished, roundwound, pure nickel, round-core strings, .012 - .016 - .022w - .032 - .044 - .054.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-26-2022 at 09:01 PM.

  23. #47

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Well, you have better ears than I, so, come over, listen to me playing it, play it yourself, and post what will be a far better assessment of its tone/response. I extend the same invitation to all of the members here.

    The guitar is currently strung with a set of Pyramid Polished Pure Nickel Classics - polished, roundwound, pure nickel, round-core strings, .012 - .016 - .022w - .032 - .044 - .054.
    ~! Hey Hammer T, I'll be in mid-town soon, I'll buzz ya !!

    I'd be honoured to spank that plank !

  24. #48

    User Info Menu

    I can see the appeal of having a vintage Gibson top, but can't help but wonder how many artisans with the skills of "a Campellone" Gibson ever employed (not to mention whether they felt motivated to deploy all those skills) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The guitar is currently strung with a set of Pyramid Hand-Polished Pure Nickel Classics - polished, roundwound, pure nickel, round-core strings, .012 - .016 - .022w - .032 - .044 - .054.
    I have been curious about Pyramid's polishing:
    - does it really reduce finger noise?
    - does it affect the tone a lot otherwise?
    - does it reduce the wrap longevity? (flat-wound G strings don't survive long with me, barely longer than a standard D string on a classical, an issue I never had with round-wounds)

  25. #49

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I can see the appeal of having a vintage Gibson top, but can't help but wonder how many artisans with the skills of "a Campellone" Gibson ever employed (not to mention whether they felt motivated to deploy all those skills) ...
    My guess is that some of the employees at Gibson between the 1920s and the early 1960s acquired and used those skills. I recommend Gil Hembree's book, Gibson Guitars (Hal Leonard, 2007) which provides an interesting perspective on how the company actually worked from the post-war years to @1966, and on many of the little-known people who made the company successful in its heyday, including folks like Wilbur Fuller and Larry Allers.

    Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I have been curious about Pyramid's polishing:
    - does it really reduce finger noise?
    - does it affect the tone a lot otherwise?
    - does it reduce the wrap longevity? (flat-wound G strings don't survive long with me, barely longer than a standard D string on a classical, an issue I never had with round-wounds)
    It does reduce finger noise a bit, IMO. It probably has a very subtle effect on tone, but not that I have noticed. I have noticed no difference in wrap longevity. The polishing is pretty subtle IMO. I suggest you try a set and see for yourself.

  26. #50

    User Info Menu

    As noted elsewhere, the idea of one-off Gibson archtops is not new, and no shortage of them has been produced by Gibson themselves. It was only well after receiving the Gibsellone Award that I stumbled across one of Mike Thompson's guitars, which I believe has a label that identifies it as an L-5CT, with a 1961 serial number. This one must have been a custom order, as it has a Johnny Smith top and a 25 1/2" scale. Siblings! I'd love to check it out and play a few tunes on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Resurrection-gib-gobel-mutt-mike-thompson-10x-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-18-2022 at 07:47 PM.