The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Changing the break angle of the strings over the bridge affects multiple things, mostly feel, but also tone to some extent. The break angle is set, then the guitar is tuned, so no real effect on pitch. I don't think anyone starts adjusting the tailpiece in the middle of a song.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sky, the bigger screws aren't a big deal. If you decide to remove the button and use the original screw, a tiny dab of carpenter's glue in the hole and the end (or maybe both ends) of a toothpick will repair it fine, with no really visible change. Stripped holes are repaired that way every day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The break angle is set, then the guitar is tuned, so no real effect on pitch.
    If you do it in that order, yes

User Info Menu

It never occurred to me to do it in any other order.

User Info Menu

Maybe I wouldn't either if I didn't have my prior experience with fine-tuners mounted on the tailpiece!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I guess that must have an effect on pitch (too) ... but what's the main effect supposed to be?
    A more acute breakover angle tends to give the string a "tighter" feel, something that translates to a snappier attack. A more obtuse angle will create a softer feel. You can kind of feel this with the height adjustment on a stop tailpiece, put it higher, it feels looser. Ibanez has an adjustment that attempts this on their George Benson but I don't feel a thing from that tailpiece in my experience.
    It's not going to be much use as a fine tuner; way too hard to turn, not finely adjustable and SO much easier with a 14:1 set of headstock tuners (unless we're talking Steinberger of course).
    The length of the lever arm, the very slight difference of the breakover from that far back...if there's a difference, it's not on my radar. I feel a much greater difference choosing a wood tailpiece over metal. I feel and like that difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Changing the break angle of the strings over the bridge affects multiple things, mostly feel, but also tone to some extent. The break angle is set, then the guitar is tuned, so no real effect on pitch. I don't think anyone starts adjusting the tailpiece in the middle of a song.
    Jimi Hendrix comes to mind. Ha ha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    It's not going to be much use as a fine tuner; way too hard to turn, not finely adjustable and SO much easier with a 14:1 set of headstock tuners
    Yes, that I can imagine. X:1 ratio tuning pegs exist for violin and cello nowadays but I never used them so I cannot say if they really replace tailpiece mounted fine tuners. I do know that the X:1 ratio tuners on my archtop give a real kind of lag causing me to overshoot when tuning from below. Maybe their ratio isn't big enough but AFAIK the fine tuners I've used had a much more direct effect. Don't really know why; the mechanical situation should be comparable except for the sharper break angle over the saddle.

User Info Menu

Greetings,
    This is a really helpful thread. The H 550 as you know has the endpin jack without much of a lip to securely hold a strap. Marty, do you recommend any particular brand of button to use on an H550 as you indicated in your previous post with the photo? I wouldn't want to try that with one where the screw was too large. Another option as someone else noted is the Music Nomad extender with the dog leg strap button.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bebopblues
    Greetings,
    This is a really helpful thread. The H 550 as you know has the endpin jack without much of a lip to securely hold a strap. Marty, do you recommend any particular brand of button to use on an H550 as you indicated in your previous post with the photo? I wouldn't want to try that with one where the screw was too large. Another option as someone else noted is the Music Nomad extender with the dog leg strap button.
    Thanks!
    Sorry, I know this is a question for Marty, but if I might intrude with a piece of (unwelcome?) advice... Endpin jacks are adjusted on a long threaded barrel with nuts on either side of the endblock (through which it passes) so the relative position of the exposed (outside) jack CAN be adjusted. I've dealt with many a factory out of the box assemblies where there wasn't nearly enough exposed jack to be useful. No wonder, if I was in the factory being paid by the hour and the threads weren't perfectly set, I'd give it a pass and call it a go.
    You can adjust it by undoing the outer flanged nut (they usually have flats) and undoing the outer securing nut, passing the jack assembly (attached securely on a dowel) so you can adjust the inner nut via the F hole) give it a few turns towards the dowel side and pull it back in and lock it down on the outer nut assembly.
    I'll bet there's a YouTube video that'll walk you through it but it can be done. Well worth the effort.
    Sorry Marty, feel free to correct me if this isn't what you're talking about.
    Good luck either way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bebopblues
    Greetings,
    Thanks!
    Wasn't this question asked in the OP and answered in #3? Or am I missing something here?

User Info Menu

Thank you jimmy blue note for your concise reply, and apologies if my question was redundant. I appreciate the suggestion for getting more of the threads outside. Cheers!