The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Perhaps one important difference between the nut or zero fret and the other frets is that it doesn't have a finger 10mm or so behind it pressing the string to the fingerboard. Finger pressure will bend the string over a fret and lift the sounding end by a small amount, increasing the clearance over the next fret. The amount of lift will depend on the string gauge, scale length and fret height. This could explain why many prefer the nut to be cut slightly higher than the frets.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    The minimum height is one that won't buzz when the open strings are whacked.height and then you set the height at the nut slots.
    And it's been shown both theoretically and in practice that open string whacking leads to more buzz than whacking with a capo at the first fret, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Do some actual set ups then make up nonsense. The height at the nut is set higher for 2 reasons: to not buzz, and for the feel. The minimum height is one that won't buzz when the open strings are whacked. This requires more space than barely clearing, as the open strings will absolutely buzz when whacked a bit. However, they can be set higher than that to achieve a feel that isn't all flimsy and bare bones right down on the frets. Many people prefer this type of feel to dig into a bit, myself included. My numbers are .020" - .016" for low, and .022" - .018" for med/high staggered E-e.

The numbers will shift after you move the neck relief, if you increase the relief the gaps will get bigger. So first you set your neck relief and saddle/bridge height and then you set the height at the nut slots.
    Step of your high horse and go look at a guitar, specifically at the nut and at the 1st fret. Sit down, think, think again. It will sink in sooner or later. Good luck

User Info Menu

There’s a right way and a wrong way to set your nut slots.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohanAbrandt
    Step of your high horse and go look at a guitar, specifically at the nut and at the 1st fret. Sit down, think, think again. It will sink in sooner or later. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    And it's been shown both theoretically and in practice that open string whacking leads to more buzz than whacking with a capo at the first fret, right?
    I'm not thinking hypothetically here guys. I've actually done a bunch of set ups and so know the practicality of it. You can do your thought experiments with the capo all you want but yes I have tried every nut height and very low but clearing will buzz when the open strings are played. They also feel weak to me. There's a range where it won't buzz, won't press sharp, and will have the desired feel to the player - barely clearing is not it.

User Info Menu

The perfect setup is subjective, and possibly different for different players. Everyone is free to set their guitars up however it feels and sounds right for them. I've just been saying how I do it, and think is right, but I can't, won't, try to dictate to anyone else. I get no buzzing on the first fret, unless the slot gets too low, lower than the first fret, which is certainly a danger when cutting it close to the edge of what is acceptable. Higher is undoubtedly safer, but I like to live dangerously sometimes.