The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

It's been said these can't work (by none other than Allan Carruth IIRC) but yet there are a few models out there which seem to contradict this point of view.

I certainly plan to obtain one when money allows...

The easy and reliable way would be to get a Slaman Dome, but I'm a bit put off by the fact they have a flat back.

I wonder if anyone here has an idea why that would be and how it affects the sound?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think Pizzarelli plays some kind of La Bella nylons on an archtop but with a pickup... I am not sure if you meant acoustic or amplified archtop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I think Pizzarelli plays some kind of La Bella nylons on an archtop but with a pickup... I am not sure if you meant acoustic or amplified archtop?
    I have his record of bossa/Jobim things, I wonder what he's using on it. It's a strange tone, kind of bland between archtop and nylon. (Understand I'm a big fan of John's, have gone to see him three times. Next time I'll have to ask him about that.)

User Info Menu

I am not sure if you meant acoustic or amplified archtop?
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, but I am not interested in (playing) instruments that cannot do without amplification.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I have his record of bossa/Jobim things, I wonder what he's using on it. It's a strange tone, kind of bland between archtop and nylon. (Understand I'm a big fan of John's, have gone to see him three times. Next time I'll have to ask him about that.)
    In this live record with Bill Frisell he has that 'strange' tone and it looks like nylons to me. And he uses nails obviously.

Last edited by Jonah; 04-05-2022 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Neil Lamb plays a custom-built Benedetto 7-string nylon-strung archtop.

Here's Neil's duo record with Mark Kleinhaut

Neil is a truly nice person.

User Info Menu

In this live record with Bill Frisell he has that 'strange' tone and it looks like nylons to me.
    Those are black tape nylons by LaBella (he says so). I have a thread up about the Pyramid version; those are (very) thin pure-nickel wounds with an outer winding with a black nylon tape, rather thick tape on the A and low E strings.
    They're probably the closest you can get to a nylon sound from steel strings, but they're still steel and you're hearing them through the pickup.

Neil's Benedetto looks and sounds like a true nylon stringer to me, complete with slotted headstock (and a 16", for it to be played in classical position?). Thanks for this - I'm going to search for a purely acoustic recording of this guitar! (I can't listen to a good part of Chet Atkins's recordings because of that nylon-through-piezo sound...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    a purely acoustic recording of this guitar!
    This one sounds like it could be:

(is Neil Dutch?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    (is Neil Dutch?)
    According to his bio, Neil was born in Maine, USA, and went to college in England.
    (I'm the bassist in that pic FWIW.)

Not to speak for him but I expect Neil would be happy to answer questions about his unique and lovely Benedetto if you dropped him a line.
    He spent a bunch of time as a gearhead, and once a gearhead . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    According to his bio, Neil was born in Maine, USA, and went to college in England.
    Funny, I'd have sworn I heard something of a Dutch accent in his singing.

I already left a comment under one of his videos, we'll see if he reacts. I also saw that his is not the only nylon-strung Benedetto (and confirmation they're out of my budget anyway...)

User Info Menu

Meanwhile, no ideas about my original question - why the Slaman Dome would have a flat back and what the effects on sound would be?

User Info Menu

Roger Borys makes a nylon string archtop with an arched back. And it is a laminate.