The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My guitar, at some point in its life, has been completely disassembled. Unfortunately during reassembly, it didn't get aligned properly and the binding is now sticking out slightly over the edge (picture 1 & 2). There is a large layer of glue where the two sides join at the bottom of the guitar (picture 3) which I think is what caused the sides to not align properly and therefore the back didn't go on properly either.

Would something like this have compromised the acoustic qualities of the instrument? Is it worth getting this repaired? How much is it likely to cost?

To make matters more complicated, there is a large puddle of glue inside at the base of the body (pictures 3, 4 & 5).

Misaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202225-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202324-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202649-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_203038-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_203045-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202810-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yikes!!! Is that EPOXY?!!! Who did this?
    Good news is overall, it shouldn't really adversely effect the acoustics. Judging from the fittings, it looks to be a laminate grade instrument. Whoever did this did so many things wrong, and I can't say for certain from the photos (where I can't see where there are gaps in the gluing surfaces) but if it doesn't split open again, the acoustics should be fine.
    Now bad news. Judging from the apparent liberal use of what looks to be epoxy (a repairman's nightmare) there will not be another attempt at a re-repair, not without considerable work and expense. Epoxy is a non reversable adhesive, you can't clean it up or out; you have to physically remove it and the surrounding wood.
    Yeah, find the repairman, give them a good finger shaking and play it for now. It's whole, hopefully a good neck geometry (not too high or low an action) and will likely be stable.
    Play it and enjoy!
    What kind of guitar is this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Good news is overall, it shouldn't really adversely effect the acoustics. Judging from the fittings, it looks to be a laminate grade instrument. Whoever did this did so many things wrong, and I can't say for certain from the photos (where I can't see where there are gaps in the gluing surfaces) but if it doesn't split open again, the acoustics should be fine.
    Now bad news. Judging from the apparent liberal use of what looks to be epoxy (a repairman's nightmare) there will not be another attempt at a re-repair, not without considerable work and expense. Epoxy is a non reversable adhesive, you can't clean it up or out; you have to physically remove it and the surrounding wood.
    Yeah, find the repairman, give them a good finger shaking and play it for now. It's whole, hopefully a good neck geometry (not too high or low an action) and will likely be stable.
    Play it and enjoy!

Ah thank you, that is good to know! A shame about a repair not being possible. It plays great so I guess I will just enjoy it as it is. It's a Hoyer Herr Im Frack. I'm pretty sure it has a solid top but i'm not sure about the rest. I don't know who did this. I bought it quite cheapish so it didn't bother me at the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamrhowe
    Ah thank you, that is good to know! A shame about a repair not being possible. It plays great so I guess I will just enjoy it as it is. It's a Hoyer Herr Im Frack. I'm pretty sure it has a solid top but i'm not sure about the rest. I don't know who did this. I bought it quite cheapish so it didn't bother me at the time.
    Make beautiful music and enjoy it. It's something that many 'museum quality' guitars never get. Hope your partnership with the guitar is long and musical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Play it and enjoy!
    The good news is that if it is epoxy THAT WOOD AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

It could just be regular wood glue, e.g., TiteBond. That dries clear. It is pretty thin and does tend to puddle if applied too liberally. (I can't comment on hide glue since I've never used it with woodworking.) It can be loosened with heating and especially steaming, but something best left to the pros I would think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    (I can't comment on hide glue since I've never used it with woodworking.) .
    The nice thing about hide glue is once you put it on, you can't find any trace of it. That's why it's called "hide" glue.
    Budda boomp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamrhowe
    My guitar, at some point in its life, has been completely disassembled. Unfortunately during reassembly, it didn't get aligned properly and the binding is now sticking out slightly over the edge (picture 1 & 2). There is a large layer of glue where the two sides join at the bottom of the guitar (picture 3) which I think is what caused the sides to not align properly and therefore the back didn't go on properly either.

Would something like this have compromised the acoustic qualities of the instrument? Is it worth getting this repaired? How much is it likely to cost?

To make matters more complicated, there is a large puddle of glue inside at the base of the body (pictures 3, 4 & 5).

Misaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202225-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202324-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202649-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_203038-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_203045-jpgMisaligned back and sides. Acoustics compromised?-img_20220303_202810-jpg

User Info Menu

Please post pics of the entire guitar so we can appreciate it!

If it were my guitar and it played/sounded well I would not worry about the defect.