The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi,
    hope everyone is well. So ive been looking for a while for an archtop project something that I can perhaps finish or re finish my self although my skills are limited.
    I havent managed to find anything but came accross these archtop kits you can buy and wondered if anyone has bought one. It seems that musoo guitars and guitar kit world are the main ones that do the kits and you can get a starter project for £189 or get them to do somecustom bits and finish it for a bit more or get them built custom specs for £800.
    If anyone has one, what are they like? would they be in the same class as lower end epiphones like the joe pass or emperor regent or are they better like say the peerless guitars.
    im really looking for a second guitar I own a jim triggs new yorker but would like a thinline single cutaway venitian with single p90 or floating pickup and there doesnt seem to be much about for my budget which is about £1000 for a second instrument pics are of some of the kits ive seen
    Attached Images Attached Images Archtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-4-jpg Archtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-1-jpg Archtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-3-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The expensive/time consuming part of building a guitar is finishing it.

If you want to sand a body for 12 hours then paint it, then sand it again….. then this project is for you. If you think you’re going to spray paint it on Saturday and string it up Sunday and have an Epiphone, you’ve got the wrong project.

so it’s up to your expectations. This guy seems to like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    The expensive/time consuming part of building a guitar is finishing it.
    Don't tell that to the forum member who just reported his latest build took him (IIRC) 6 months of carving the plates

User Info Menu

Hello! Since the pics didn't seem to work on the PM I shall post them here. The kit I got, was pretty basic like most of the cheap kits from China. The neck joint was some weird off centre mortice and tenon affair, and the shape of the neck almost square so it needed a lot of reshaping. It was all some sort of white wood, perhaps maple, and I wanted to mimick a 175 so stained the rims and neck to look like mahogany. The stain didn't take very well but a mix of stain and coloured lacquer gave a decent colour. I did it more for fun than anything. The resulting guitar was fine, but the shape could have been more elegant. It was just a quick interesting thing to do.

Archtop kit anyone buy one?-img_0948-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-1-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-2-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-3-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-4-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-5-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-6-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-7-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-fin-8-jpgArchtop kit anyone buy one?-kit-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Archtop kit anyone buy one?-img_1042-jpg 
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 02-28-2022 at 06:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Are you kidding? That's a fantastic job!

Did you use the stock pickups and electronics?

User Info Menu

That’s pretty d@mned amazing! How’d you apply the finish components - rub? Spray?

User Info Menu

Thanks. The front and back were sprayed and the sides were stained brown and then sprayed over with brown tinted lacquer. Then clear coated and polished in the normal way.

User Info Menu

Dutch I'm going to be making kits in the next few months.

They will be very high quality and made with well seasoned wood.

You will be able to choose the model you'd like, fretboard material, maple type, etc..

You get to choose the parts and some custom dimensions but you put it together or have it pre assembled to a point of your choosing.

The kits will take inspiration from some of the greatest Archtops made and the necks will be inspired by some of the best necks ever made.

Expect the kits to be on par with Gibson/IbanezJP/ etc.. Prices will likely be around £1,000 for an unassembled kit.

User Info Menu

That is a fantastic idea. I've always thought there would be a market for high quality kits, but I never actually did anything about it, kids and the day job just leave me too little time, I look forward to seeing what you will be offering!

User Info Menu

That’s a really cool idea! I have absolutely no skill in finishing sorts of things, I suppose I would go all one color lol. But the idea of a partially finished kit is very attractive indeed.
    Smart move, and I hope it works out for you!
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Dutch I'm going to be making kits in the next few months.

They will be very high quality and made with well seasoned wood....

Expect the kits to be on par with Gibson/IbanezJP/ etc.. Prices will likely be around £1,000 for an unassembled kit.

I suppose you wouldn't be doing carved plates for that price and if you want to achieve a certain sales volume?

User Info Menu

RJVB…. that’s kind of funny… “sales volume” in jazz archtops?
    I dunno, 4,7, 10?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I suppose you wouldn't be doing carved plates for that price and if you want to achieve a certain sales volume?
    Carved, Pressed, Arched and Double tops.

The Carved will be CNC machined and based on well proven top and back contours that aren't typically hand tuned. Those are usually by favourable, high end brands and would produce a comparable tone.

Well, that's the plan.

I assume double tops will be the most expensive and carved tops will come in grades from a cheaper grade to a more expensive medullar ray variety, without defects and with a tight grain/stiffness ratio.

Not sure of the price to be fair. It depends on the suppliers and of course the tine to have the plates carved. You cold be looking at say £1500 for an L5 type? Just for the parts.

User Info Menu

Seriously dude, good luck. jk

User Info Menu

That all sounds great!

As a woodworker who has spent hundreds of dollars on sandpaper and sanding tools over the last year, the prospect of sanding something for 20 hours or so doesn’t bother me at all! (I just ordered some more stuff today as a matter of fact.)

I made a guitar from a cheap Grizzly kit years ago—nylon string. Barely worth the effort, but at least I found out what not to do, and especially how hard the finishing part is. My daughter still has that guitar…

I have been thinking about a kit either from Stewart Mac or GFS. They both sell cheapish kits for electrics. I have been wanting an LP for awhile since I don’t have one. The 335 kits also look pretty nice. I don’t think I’ve seen a real hollowbody kit, though, from the major players.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-03-2022 at 11:05 AM.