The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I ordered a rosewood bridge base with a TOM-style bridge from Stew Mac for my ES-175. The two bridge posts are sticking out of the bottom of the rosewood base. If I placed it on the guitar in this condition, it would leave a deep scratch in the finish.

Am I missing something basic here?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

just back them out counterclockwise until they clear the base.
    if they're hard to turn grab them carefully w a pair of pliers w/maybe a small piece of leather to protect the threads [be very careful here!]

User Info Menu

The posts may have an Allen socket, a straight screwdriver slot, or nothing. It's easier if either of the first two are present. Whichever you have, do as WM suggests and just back the posts out. Some archtops come with pinned bridges, with holes for the posts to go down into, to prevent the bridge from moving. I don't like those, but Gibson and its subsidiary Epiphone have evidently been using this for some time. It's not difficult to back the posts out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Gibson and its subsidiary Epiphone have evidently been using this for some time.
    I don’t think this is true. As far as I know it’s more of a Gretsch thing. Maybe because of all the bigsbys.

Maybe it’s just one ones I played.

User Info Menu

It's also a Gibson thing. My Epi ES175 certainly came that way. There are some threads on this forum discussing it some time back.

User Info Menu

My 2017, 2016 model year, Gibson Memphis 175DN has a pinned bridge from the factory.