The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

I have the same issue with a 70s Japanese 175 copy. Having removed the tailpiece and moving it to what I thought to be the correct position and then finding it still misaligned, I drew the conclusion that either the hinge and fixing plate are not square to the rest of the tp or the butt of the guitar is not symmetrical. I've yet to get back to it for further work.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, not all guitars are made perfect - even expensive ones. This looks like an extremely easy fix to me and the fix would also be undetectable with the tailpiece in place. A good luthier could probably make the fix nearly undetectable even with the tailpiece off if you wanted to take it that far. I am not sure how fixing a defect would affect the value of the guitar. I would think in this case it would have no effect if done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I would have to see the guitar in person to decide what to do as picture can be a bit deceiving. If the guitar played really well and not issues with intonation and action and the rest I might just leave it alone. However my sense of symmetry is very apparent and I would probably removed the tailpiece and plug the holes. Then simply re-drill them and frankly that is not going to devalue the guitar and probably it will never show unless one takes off the tailpiece. It appears to be need to be moved over about 1/8th of an inch. Hopefully it would be less the the amount of cover the tailpiece provides over the finish to show any line where it previously was anchored.

Right now off the top of my head I would center the tailpiece. In the shop this would take me at least and hour since it would include a whole setup in effect. This means really put new strings and get the guitar playing and looking straight up. I would say 2 hours of charged labor and I would need to get $120. Cheap when you consider I just went to the store and bought a few groceries that will last not that long and spent the same amount of money. Not mention the guitar's value at 7.5-10K$.

One edit. If you are considering selling the guitar and worried about the next buyer then take a before and after picture. Then explain it to the potential buyer in the future. In fact I would do this regardless because you might sell it down the line no matter what. It should leave no doubt in the buyer's mind what was going on and what you did.
    Precisely, Mark. Thank you. Luthier's latest comment is to leave it alone, as intonation and neck and tuning are all fine, have been fine since I picked it up. I do have it listed on Reverb and reference the issue. The buyer can make that choice on his own. A Super will take months to sell anyway. Still playing it side by side with the 2015 Super. One should be enough, but something about the '74...

User Info Menu

not that bad imo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    not that bad imo

So looking at it from this picture I agree with WM it looks pretty good for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    QC issue is obvious enough by now. How do I address it? I'm assuming luthier will have to drill new holes to get the tailpiece centered or lined-up.
    Easy enough and if the guy’s any good it‘ll be invisible.

User Info Menu

When the neck is out of alignment or the tailpiece is off center, the bridge should actually be pulled to the right, off center, by the string tension. Unless the bridge is glued or fixed by something else.
    Something doesn't seem right, but again: this could also be a misjudgment due to the photo perspective..

Archtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-tailpiece1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur V.
    the bridge should actually be pulled to the right, off center, by the string tension.
    Some of these bridges are pinned to the top, don't know about the Super 400? But the sideways string tension is probably not enough to overcome friction of downwards pressure. It would depend on the surfaces, string gauge, string break angle and last but not least, the degree of misalignment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JCat
    Some of these bridges are pinned to the top, don't know about the Super 400? But the sideways string tension is probably not enough to overcome friction of downwards pressure. It would depend on the surfaces, string gauge, string break angle and last but not least, the degree of misalignment.
    And even more last and not least least, the finish, protective polish and how smooth the bottom of the bridge saddle is. Bridges are, ideally, held in place just by downward pressure. If the finish lacquer is smooth and polished, and if the guitar has had protective carnuba applied (a good UV protection if nothing else), it's not going to want to fight the pull of unequal tension across the bridge.
    Yeah alignment of the neck could be an issue; it's just hard to tell from a photo. I have two long straight edges, as may your luthier. These can extend the line set by the edge of the fingerboard down to the body and bridge. That'll settle for sure where the wonkiness is located. It may be the neck, tailpiece, or not beyond possibility, both. That's why they have Quality Control, so they can address these things in house.

User Info Menu

According to my eyes moving the string anchor part of the tailpiece a bit towards the bass side would be the cure. It can be displaced due to the tailpiece being deformed or due to offset mounting. what to do depends on the reason for the displacement.
    Everything - including the grain pattern of the top - appears to line up nicely. Except for the tailpiece. If it doesn't have a hinge you may be able to strighten it by hand. But take care if you try that. Probably best to remove the tailpiece from the guitar first.
    Last edited by teeps; 02-11-2022 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks to me like you have at least 1/8" to move the whole tailpiece to the bass side before the original bottom hole on the end of the tailpiece would show on the butt of the guitar. The other two tail piece holes and the strap button hole will still be concealed by the tailpiece. If this guitar was mine I would take it to my most trusted luthier and see what they say. It may not matter as far as playability to leave it alone but it would bug me. Nice guitar. It looks off to have this misalignment IMHO.

User Info Menu

If you move the tailpiece over to the bass side, because of the curvature of the butt, the tailpiece will be at a different angle and may not necessarily inline up at the string slots as you would hope.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    If you move the tailpiece over to the bass side, because of the curvature of the butt, the tailpiece will be at a different angle and may not necessarily inline up at the string slots as you would hope.
    The end block is relatively flat at that point and sides are bent to a relative flat plane for that reason. It's not a banjo, so that's not so much an issue, and if you take it to a luthier, or you're careful yourself, you can move it and you'll see the point of alignment. Measure twice, cut once.
    That's how it's done. Been there. Done that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    The end block is relatively flat at that point and sides are bent to a relative flat plane for that reason. It's not a banjo, so that's not so much an issue, and if you take it to a luthier, or you're careful yourself, you can move it and you'll see the point of alignment. Measure twice, cut once.
    That's how it's done. Been there. Done that.
    It doesn't look particularly flat on this guitar but what do I know?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    It doesn't look particularly flat on this guitar but what do I know?
    You know how to appreciate the art of guitar aesthetics. It's not supposed to look flat, so the curves are designed to sweep into a flat surface which is the end block. A flat endblock is the easiest (and best IMHO) gluing surface to match and glue with optimum gluing surface. The illusion of a continuous curve is the illusion of a side that sweeps from sharp waist lines to reverse curves and flats without appearing unnatural.
    Of course every builder builds their own way, but the end block join of the sides is enormously important for the alignment of the guitar and the integrity of the body, so the nexus of all the forces needs to be solid. That's why a flat is so desirable.
    Archtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-screen-shot-2022-02-12-8-18-22-am-pngArchtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-screen-shot-2022-02-12-8-22-04-am-pngArchtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-screen-shot-2022-02-12-8-26-09-am-pngArchtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-screen-shot-2022-02-12-8-26-34-am-pngArchtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-screen-shot-2022-02-12-8-27-01-am-png
    You can kinda see from the profile shots how it tends towards a flat at the endblock. So down there, there's some wiggle room and for the 1/8" move, the effect of the side curve is close to negligible. That's the thought anyway.
    Let's hope-
    I've done tailpiece relocations. It works with the minimum of complicated calculation.

User Info Menu

If it is new return it.

If it is used fix it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    If it is new return it.

If it is used fix it.
    70's vintage. Finish is cured. Wear seems minimal. Construction was questionable but ostensibly fixable. Wood is a good quality. If it's in good shape otherwise and you play it and it brings out some magic in you you never knew was there, repair it and play it til it looks like an old battle axe.
    Otherwise, it'd better have been a good deal if it's a vanity acquisition.

User Info Menu

Perspective & photography is pretty tricky. Not sure the camera is perfectly level and aligned vertically to the guitar, so this may or may not be true: looks to me like it could be that the tailpiece is not so much in the wrong place, but maybe more like bent. Like it's leaning to the right in the photo. The luthier will know.

Archtop Tailpiece Alignment with Bridge-tailpiece1-jpg

User Info Menu

I highly doubt it's bent, I tried to bend one once, not happening.
    more likely not mounted parallel to the top, dipping to one side.

User Info Menu

I'm no luthier.

But, the more I look at it, the more I think the tailpiece is skewed a bit towards the treble side, either because it's bent somewhere, or because it's not mounted flush with the guitar butt end. It would be easy to determine which it is in person. It looks to me like the tailpiece itself is mounted in the right location - it's just skewed.

Whether it's worth fiddling with or not is up to you of course. I'm not suggesting this, but I can imagine a skilled luthier with some "touch" might remove the tailpiece, tightly secure the bottom of the tailpiece (the part that's mounted to the guitar butt) in a vise with hard wood/plastic blocks, and do what is sometimes called a "gentle cold set". Guessing it would just need about 1/8" of deflection to the left. Of course, it might crack the plating, or the metal itself, but maybe not.

Good luck!

PS: is that small treble-side Phillips head tailpiece screw tight? Pics make it look like a gap between the screw head and the tailpiece plate.
    Last edited by northernbreed; 02-12-2022 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I highly doubt it's bent, I tried to bend one once, not happening.
    more likely not mounted parallel to the top, dipping to one side.
    I was thinking more like twisted: the fold at the bottom not being perfectly 90° to the centreline of the tailpiece. Like it wasn't in the press, or brake, or whatever, exactly square to the world when it was bent. Could cause that dipping as well.

I'd be very happy to own a super 4 with that little 'defect' :-)

User Info Menu

you could shim the tailpiece
    left hand side up a bit ....

User Info Menu

Just my 2 cents worth, and I can't really help with what the issue is, it could be an off centre tailpiece, but they are usually lined up with the join in the rims, but then the joint may not be perfectly central, or it could be that the neck angle is slightly off and so are the pickups to compensate and then the tailpiece is bang on centre, I have seen that on a 175. You could see if the guitar is symmetrical around the centre seam and if the distance from pickups to f holes and edges of the guitar are symmetrical with the centre or the rims. It might help solve where the issue is. However one thing I am sure of is I wouldn't be drilling any holes in a super 400. How about putting a very small shim under the left hand tailpiece screw to move the top of the tailpiece over to the left a bit, or even less drastic would be slackening off the left hand screw and tightening the right hand one a little, the tailpiece looks like it is a flat section resting on a curve so I thinkk there would be a little room for adjustment. It might be a little wonky but it would be evening the wonkiness out which is all part of the fun of a hand made instrument! Whatever I think this calls for the least drastic solution possible!!!
    Last edited by plasticpigeon; 02-28-2022 at 06:48 AM.

User Info Menu

If the tailpiece isn’t centered, it can be shimmed to correct the angle. I’ve done it when I had to had to replace a tailpiece and the replacement wasn’t quite lined up. Since there are three screws you might need two shims of different thicknesses to get it dead-on. It’s a trial and error process, but no redrilling is required.

Once the shim(s) have been finalized, it’s a good idea to double-back tape them to the tailpiece mount so they don’t fall out if the tailpiece must be removed later.