The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

The metal cover does not prevent hum from a single coil pickup. If only it were that simple. My first guess, without being able to see the guitar, is a poor wiring job. I've done it myself, it only takes a slight bit of carelessness. Cold solder joint, wire barely touching something it shouldn't or soldered to the wrong place, or a ground not made. Could be many things, and I can't tell from here. I suggest having Chris go over his work again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's certainly possible that something went wrong; the soldering had to be cleaned up to get a sufficiently flat contact area for the 3M tape, wires could have been bent during the "gluing" or when flipping the pickguard over, etc. I've even wondered if the tape itself couldn't be creating a circuit that shouldn't be there.

Fortunately the noise somehow seems to decrease when I'm playing so sorting this out is not a priority (not with current fuel prices )

User Info Menu

With a proper soldering job, there should be no need to clean anything up in order to mount the tape, it should be smooth and flat enough.