The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am interested in purchasing a Silvertone guitar from the early '60's. However, it is said to need a neck adjustment. I have set up many guitars but never a vintage one without a truss rod. They are only asking about $150 for the guitar.

Is this possible to do on my own? Worth it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Possibly possible, depending on what adjustment it needs. But IMO not worth it. Sears and Roebuck did not sell good guitars. Even at $150 I would pass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zboom19
    I am interested in purchasing a Silvertone guitar from the early '60's. However, it is said to need a neck adjustment. I have set up many guitars but never a vintage one without a truss rod. They are only asking about $150 for the guitar.

Is this possible to do on my own? Worth it?
    Whether it's worth it on depends on what sort of "adjustment" it needs, and specifically which Silvertone it is. If the neck is warped into a bow, and there's no truss rod, in theory that can sometimes be repaired by a skilled luthier, but that's an extensive and expensive repair, and might not work. There's no way to simply adjust out a warp the way you would with a truss rod. Might be worth doing on one of the collectible, high value ones (e.g., some of the hollow body electrics that go for ridiculous prices) if you get it cheap ($150 + a $500 repair is still cheap for a $1500 guitar). But its not worth bothering with if it's something like a "parlor guitar" style acoustic (most of which are lousy even if they're in perfect condition). IMO, it's also not worth it on a Danelectro electric either, since the modern ones are great and pretty cheap.

If the neck angle is off and it has bolt-on neck (as on a Danelectro) you can take the neck off and put a shim in the neck pocket to adjust the neck angle, which is a pretty easy, DIY job. Some of them also have a neck tilt screw, but doesn't work very well (at least not on my Danelectro/Silvertone bass, which also has a badly warped neck, but I got it for free). If it has a glued-on neck, fixing the neck angle requires a neck reset, which is a very expensive luthier repair, so only worth doing on one of the collectible ones.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

For $150 you would need to see/hear something very special; something well beyond the outward value of the guitar. Frankly, even at their best, they were built for cheapness. That means cheap materials, electronics with a funky limited sound and longevity was not a consideration.
    That being said, they are a niche guitar, more prized among the novelty collector and genre players than jazzers.
    All good points from the posters, and do try it out. At best, it's a lot of work for your money, and likely even more money for a lot of work and maybe a lot of work to get the player out of you when you're working with one of those.
    Just sayin'

User Info Menu

The only ‘adjustment’ you can do yourself on a neck without trussrod is switching to heavier or lighter strings. If the neck is bolt-on, a shim in the neckpocket can also help adjusting things, but won’t change neck relief. Neck relief with a certain string gauge is a given, nothing to adjust there.

As mentioned before, more structural repairs and or changes in the form of shaving/reshaping the fretboard, refret, neck reset (in case of a set neck) or installing a trussrod is only economically feasible if you can do it yourself and like doing it…

Otherwise I would pass….

User Info Menu

I have one of those Silvertone case-in-amp guitars I picked up for a song 40 years ago in a pawn shop. Neck is in similar shape as the OP describes. I found this video informative, gonna give it a shot. Looks simple and easy, hardest part might be finding an old-school tube sock LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    As mentioned before, more structural repairs and or changes in the form of shaving/reshaping the fretboard, refret, neck reset (in case of a set neck) or installing a trussrod is only economically feasible if you can do it yourself and like doing it…
    Exactly. I'm having fun with an old Framus archtop. Added a truss rod, installed a new ebony fretboard, Jescar frets, nut. Spent about $200 in parts and tools (1 chisel, 3 files, sand paper) and am almost ready.