The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Has the bracing design changed significantly over the years?

AKA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes.
    General overview:
    1923 - @1935 - modified parallel bracing on 16" models
    @1935 - @1938 - x-bracing on 17" Advanced models
    @1938 - current - for guitars with no pickups, modified parallel bracing
    @1938 - current - for guitars with no pickups - occasional X-bracing for short runs and custom orders
    @1948 - current - for guitars with set-in pickups - straight parallel bracing. At some point, additional small satellite braces were added.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes.
    General overview:
    @1938 - current - for guitars with no pickups - occasional X-bracing for short runs and custom orders
    @1948 - current - for guitars with set-in pickups - straight parallel bracing. At some point, additional small satellite braces were added.
    And the Wes Montgomery single pickup model has one less brace than the CES models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Yes.
    General overview:
    And there are some special order outliers during the early Advance period with parallel bracing, but the vast majority are X at that time.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for your responses.

I’d assumed that X bracing was standard in L5’s, but I gather that with the exceptions noted, it was the opposite.

AKA

User Info Menu

I am looking forward to a sweet early forties L-50, that I am going to purchase in february, hopefully.

it has 16" and a carved spruce top as well as a solid carved maple back.

parallel bracing, it is said to sound like a 30's L-5

now make my dreams come true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    I am looking forward to a sweet early forties L-50, that I am going to purchase in february, hopefully.

it has 16" and a carved spruce top as well as a solid carved maple back.

parallel bracing, it is said to sound like a 30's L-5

now make my dreams come true.

I didn’t have a 16” L-5 when I did this video, but you can hear how a 1938 L-50 stands up to a 1932 L-10, as well as a Trenier Broadway and a 16.5” D’Angelico from 1933.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    And there are some special order outliers during the early Advance period with parallel bracing, but the vast majority are X at that time.
    Hmm, is that documented?
    I know there were both types of bracing from the factory in the 30s and two bridge heights but I've never heard of specially ordered bracing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hmm, is that documented?
    I know there were both types of bracing from the factory in the 30s and two bridge heights but I've never heard of specially ordered bracing.
    Yes, in fact, Dave Barbour special ordered a few of them, and there were some others.

User Info Menu

Interesting, is it just shown in the ledgers, or can you point me to the source.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Interesting, is it just shown in the ledgers, or can you point me to the source.
    It’s in the ledgers for sure. I think there is also some discussion somewhere online also, maybe something in a magazine too. I don’t have any references at hand.

User Info Menu

I've seen a few parallel braced as late as '37- '38 before the permanent shift back in mid '39 but didn't know it was documented. I'd like to see the ledger notation someday, I've looked them over in the past and never saw anything mentioned about any guitars w special ordered bracing unless just listed as special w no specific reference as to why.
    Sounds like an interesting thing to look into.