The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

From time to time my pickup selector switch causes problems because dirt accumulates between the contacts. Typically this affects the bridge pickup because I use it so rarely. I clean it with alcohol, but I always find it pretty fiddly. The contacts are so close together.

What do you use there - besides the alcohol - as a tool?
    Do you know any tricks?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

How to clean pickup selector switch?-20211219_100609_resized-jpg

User Info Menu

You can just use a piece of paper with some alcohol on it. You should not need to use anything abrasive. The dirty should be easy to remove with a little solvent.

User Info Menu

Sometimes it's not corrosion, just the reeds getting bent and not making good contact when selected. It can also be both. I tend to try to leave mine in the center position, to keep from having one bent all the time. But I don't always remember to switch it. You can try gently bending the reeds to keep them straight, or even overbending very slightly to help make strong contact. Just be very careful if you do. They should be strong enough to withstand heavy bending, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

User Info Menu

Thank you, sgosnell, I have fixed bent switches. In this case it's dirt no oxidation or corrosion. Has to do with the extreme amount of dust in this area where I live.

But I found a solution meanwhile. Got me some inter dental brushes type "ultra fine", put the alcohol on it brush the little golden contact points. The brushes I got have a diameter only 0.4 mm so it's done easily without bending the reeds.