The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I would like to change the stock strap buttons to accommodate a Straplock/Button kit. When looking at the tail strap button, it screws down to the top of the attachment plate of the tailpiece. There are three small screws for the tailpiece plate, but I'm wondering if these small screws are dedicated enough to holding the tailpiece under string tension so that I can unscrew the strap button....or do I have to the release string tension to safely remove the strap button? Would appreciate any info on this, or any opinions on whether Straplocks function well or worth even using.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Curt79
    I would like to change the stock strap buttons to accommodate a Straplock/Button kit. When looking at the tail strap button, it screws down to the top of the attachment plate of the tailpiece. There are three small screws for the tailpiece plate, but I'm wondering if these small screws are dedicated enough to holding the tailpiece under string tension so that I can unscrew the strap button....or do I have to the release string tension to safely remove the strap button? Would appreciate any info on this, or any opinions on whether Straplocks function well or worth even using.
    I've installed strap locks of various brands on almost all of my 20+ guitars, and never had any issues as you describe. As to whether they work or are they worth it - YES and HELL YES! A single oopsie can mean $100s or more in repairs. I speak from long and sometime painful experience. You just can't be too careful.

User Info Menu

There are many types of straplocks. I can't speak to all of them, because I haven't use nearly all of them. But I do think that any of them is better than none. I've used Schaller straplocks for a long time, and they're good. There is zero chance of having them come off the guitar unless you do it intentionally, and then it's easy. I prefer to remove the strap before putting the guitar in the case, most of the time, and they make it easy, and easy to put back on when it's time. But like everything else, different people have different opinions.

The screws holding the tailpiece are certainly strong enough. In most cases, the button doesn't actually hold the tailpiece anyway, because the hole in the tailpiece is as large, if not larger than, the button. Even if it is larger than the hole, it's not strong enough to hold the tailpiece because it could deform and pull through if not for the other screws that really hold everything in place.

User Info Menu

I much prefer sitting while playing, so I always looked at a strap as a necessary annoyance on blues / rock / pop dates and where the stage or playing area is too small for the band. I used whatever strap buttons came on the guitar and got away with it for 50+ years. But it took only one on-stage slip of a heavy LP from a worn strap in the middle of a tune to convince me of the value of secure strap fixation. Fortunately, I caught the guitar before it hit anything - but CK74's admonition is spot on, and I ordered Dunlop Straplocks the next day.

The good brands all seem equally effective and appealing. I chose the Dunlops because I liked the physical principle they use. I think it's wise to use the same system on all guitars and straps, so I can keep one strap in the front pocket of each gig bag but carry various guitars in them. I also don't leave the strap on the guitar in the bag or case.

Obviously, a series of 1 incident on dozens of guitars over 50 years is hardly statistical evidence of the need for or the value of strap locks. But I've always monitored my straps regularly and replaced them as a precaution when the holes becamse visibly stretched or otherwise deformed. With Straplocks fitted, the strap holes stay round and tight, so I haven't had to buy another strap in about 10 years.

User Info Menu

I don't use strap locks at all. I use rubber washers. For a while, I used the ones from Grolsch beer bottles, but those eventually dry out and become brittle and fall apart. I now use the Fender version called "Strap Blocks". They're a little bigger and spongier, seem a touch more secure, and have so far lasted a few years on each of my guitars.

User Info Menu

I've been using Lock-It Straps for many years now without any problems. Lock-It Guitar Straps

Sometimes the placement of the strap button by the neck can make for a tight fit, but overall I've been very pleased with their products.

User Info Menu

I don't play standing much but I have not used them as I use something like a washer to keep the strap from coming off. Sometimes even string and tie it up and around, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for the welcome!
    I'm gonna assume there's a few hollow body arch tops in those 20+ guitars, that's a lot of installs! So this is my first hollow body arch top, and wasn't sure about how much tension is on the mounting plate of the metal tailpiece. Well, HELL YES! got my attention and I'm glad to hear that Straplocks can be a wise choice...an oopsie is a bad word in the OR room so I get your point on damage control. Now, the search begins for which Straplock/button kit to get. Appreciate your feedback.

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback. The info and shared experiences really helped me with moving forward and finding the Straplock Kit that suits my guitar and designed with quality, functionality and aesthetics in mind. I will be researching all the brands and models you folks mentioned. John A, good use of those bottle top washers, Grolsch was our payday beer for jam sessions back in the day!
    Being a newb here, can I reply back individually to all the replies to my questions? My first reply just opened another reply window on this thread. So glad to have come across this forum!

I did end up going with Schaller S-Locks. Had a nice vintage finish on them and install went on easily. They go on and off well, and locks on securely.....but I did have to do minor filing on one locking bolt so it would engage deeper. I do have a set of finer needle files so it was no problem. Thanks again to everyone's insight, experience and advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images Changing tail strap button-slock8-jpg Changing tail strap button-slock10-jpg Changing tail strap button-slock7-jpg 
    Last edited by Curt79; 12-06-2021 at 09:36 PM.

User Info Menu

That Schaller strap lock looks like a perfect solution.

Has anybody used a strap lock for an endpin jack on an archtop? I realize that plugging the cable in effectively prevents the strap from letting go, but I often practice without plugging in. Has anybody tried the acoustic-lok strap, for instance?

Changing tail strap button-acoustilok3-1-jpg

User Info Menu

I haven't tried it, but I think it's an excellent solution. I've been meaning to try them, but haven't gotten around to it.

I ordered one. I really preferred gold, but the black will have to do, that seems to be the only color available.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 12-08-2021 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Okay, I'll try it and let you know.

User Info Menu

Rather than use strap locks I took the halfway measure and replaced the original strap buttons with elliptical end pins. The ones I bought are made by D'Addario. They are shaped like a football rather than being round, which makes it difficult for the strap to slip off by itself. In theory I guess it's still possible for the strap to slip off the pin unassisted but only if the strap slot is extremely stretched or frayed, in which case it's probably time for a new strap.

User Info Menu

I have those type strap buttons on a couple of guitars, and they're fine, but they don't work for endpin jacks.