The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

I need to get a few of screwdrivers for guitar work, I know nothing about screwdriver sizes, and there seem to be a few different ways of naming them. I need a mixture of Philips and standard heads, sized for scratch plates, pickup housings, etc. Recommendations? I'll be purchasing in the UK, so hopefully you can name some big brands I might know, like Stanley. Come to think of it, Gibson or Dunlop probably have guitar sets...?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,

I find the Gibson multi-tool does most of what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Gear-M...ct_top?ie=UTF8

d’Adderio and Music Nomad also have guitar tool sets. Since your in Europe I’m sure Thomann has a selection of of tools.

User Info Menu

A #0, #1, and a #2 Phillips screwdrivers will do pretty much everything you need. A couple of flat-tips, one thin and narrow and one slightly bigger, will get you by. There is no real need for much more. Torx drivers are great, but few if any guitars use those screws. I have an inordinate number of screwdrivers, and most go unused because they're just duplicates. I could, and usually do, get by with just the ones I mentioned. I like the Music Nomad guitar tool Guitar Wrench and Nut Driver for pots, string posts, output jacks, input jacks, volume knobs, tele cups - MusicNomad - Music Nomad. It comes with both a Phillips and flat-tip screwdrivers, and 6 hex wrenches built into the handle. The material is soft enough that it won't scratch finishes, and it will fit almost every hex nut you will find. That and a small Phillips driver and you're pretty much set other than for something for archtop bridge adjustment wheels. Either a spanner or a jack can do the job. I made my jack from a freebie paint can opener from the local home improvement store, bent to shape.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. Both the Gibson and the Nomad are available here.

User Info Menu

I rely on my Stewart-MacDonald guitar screwdriver kit for all my twisty tasks. Works well on sundry household goods, also.

Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set (430) From $50.93 More Options

Bought sets for all the guys in my family for Xmas last year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasteddie
    Hi Rob,

I find the Gibson multi-tool does most of what I need.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

d’Adderio and Music Nomad also have guitar tool sets. Since your in Europe I’m sure Thomann has a selection of of tools.
    Really dislike these multi-tools. They give you a whole bunch of stuff but generally very unergonomic and awkward to use.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I need to get a few of screwdrivers for guitar work, I know nothing about screwdriver sizes, and there seem to be a few different ways of naming them. I need a mixture of Philips and standard heads, sized for scratch plates, pickup housings, etc. Recommendations? I'll be purchasing in the UK, so hopefully you can name some big brands I might know, like Stanley. Come to think of it, Gibson or Dunlop probably have guitar sets...?
    Rob, I can’t believe you’ve just bought a new guitar and you’re already planning to take it to pieces.

I just hope you manage to put it back together correctly afterwards.

User Info Menu

It's for my brain, not a guitar

User Info Menu

I've collected a set of small-ish jewellers/watchmaker screwdrivers over the years and those together with "normal" size flathead + Phillipshead tool are all I ever needed for the guitar-specific jobs.

https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B07DB...-tools&sr=1-17

User Info Menu

I agree about the multitool. Great for a guitar case (looks identical to my bike multitool, which was proven its worth many times over on the road). But not what you want on your workbench.

A good 6-way screwdriver will work just fine for most big screws. Always good to have hex keys around as well--I particularly appreciate a nice handled hex wrench for truss rod adjustments.

A small jeweller's or eyeglass screwdriver kit is ideal for those small screws.

User Info Menu

It's for my brain, not a guitar
    Ah yes, the new improved MacKillop version 2.

Guitar Screwdrivers-f1b3fdb9-45df-4061-9286-e104bd5fc0c5-jpeg

User Info Menu

I thought I was looking in a mirror there! Then realised it was the wrong guitar…
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 10-09-2021 at 03:07 AM.

User Info Menu

I ended up with the Ibanez equivalent of the Gibson multitool, one difference being the magnetic screwdriver heads. It arrived today, and seems excellent, though like all multitools it has more on offer than I really need. I just want to tighten the screws to the scratch plate, or finger rest, whatever you call it down your way, and lower or raise the pickup holders.

One reviewer said that the Gibson heads don't always fit Japanese screws, and vice versa. As I have an Ibanez and an Eastman, the Ibanez multitool is the obvious choice, and cheaper too. It worked a treat.

User Info Menu

I ended up with the Ibanez equivalent of the Gibson multitool, one difference being the magnetic screwdriver heads. It arrived today, and seems excellent, though like all multitools it has more on offer than I really need. I just want to tighten the screws to the scratch plate, or finger rest, whatever you call it down your way, and lower or raise the pickup holders.

One reviewer said that the Gibson heads don't always fit Japanese screws, and vice versa. As I have an Ibanez and an Eastman, the Ibanez multitool is the obvious choice, and cheaper too. It worked a treat.
    Yes, the JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screw looks like a Phillips but the slots have a different angle. A Phillips screwdriver won't fit properly in a JIS screw (even though you might get away it in some instances.) Good article: What's the Difference Between Japanese and Phillips Screwdrivers? - Ask MO

User Info Menu

Music Nomad tool kit (MN229) works great for me - even got the truss rod kit being impressed with the quality and how well thought the set is. Downside is the price - I wish they were more affordable

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I rely on my Stewart-MacDonald guitar screwdriver kit for all my twisty tasks. Works well on sundry household goods, also.

Guitar Tech Screwdriver Set (430) From $50.93 More Options

Bought sets for all the guys in my family for Xmas last year.
    Yes. My wife bought me one, also as a gift. (With a little bit of a hint from me.) They had a holiday sale on it at the time. I keep it in the pocket of my gear bag. A neat thing is, if you place them just right, you can fit into the case both types of standard tr wrenches, an external socket and a straight hex, and it snaps shut just fine. Here's how I did it, see the tr socket facing down across the top and the standard tr hex in the middle.

Guitar Screwdrivers-stewmac_set-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yes. My wife bought me one, also as a gift. (With a little bit of a hint from me.) They had a holiday sale on it at the time. I keep it in the pocket of my gear bag. A neat thing is, if you place them just right, you can fit into the case both types of standard tr wrenches, an external socket and a straight hex, and it snaps shut just fine. Here's how I did it, see the tr socket facing down across the top and the standard tr hex in the middle.

Guitar Screwdrivers-stewmac_set-jpg
    Very cool! I shall forthwith adopt this excellent idea. "Adopt,adapt, improve...."