The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Very impressive! Which program do you use for your model? (I used draftsight for a 2D copy of an es-235, printing the drawing in a grid and overlaying that on an outline I made of an image)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Very impressive! Which program do you use for your model? (I used draftsight for a 2D copy of an es-235, printing the drawing in a grid and overlaying that on an outline I made of an image)

Hi Eck

I'm using Fusion 360. Itv not heard of Draftsight but have just checked them out. How did you make your 2D copy of the 235? Where did you get the drawing from, or how did you make it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Hi Eck

I'm using Fusion 360. Itv not heard of Draftsight but have just checked them out. How did you make your 2D copy of the 235? Where did you get the drawing from, or how did you make it?
    It was a fun project during Xmas holidays. I had a picture of an es235 from the web, and drew an outline by hand - like a new layer in paint.net and then saving only the new layer as jpeg. I thought I could import the jpeg into draftsight (imho the only cheaper alternative to autocad that works) but I couldn’t! So I made a grid in draftsight and exported the shape with grid, then overlaid that on my hand drawn outline.
    Didn’t again after I removed allergens gridlines I didn’t need and was able to draw the crucial points the points on the grid. I also mirrored my image in draftsight to ensure left and right side are the same, except for the cut-out. It’s not exact, lower bout is 5% less and probably similar mismatch for other parts, but I’m happy.
    Would you like I send you the dwg file? There are still a few things to check but it’s a good start and outline is good.
    I made my own f-holes by stretching dwg files from a double bass (after long deliberation I decided not to make a-holes)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    It was a fun project during Xmas holidays. I had a picture of an es235 from the web, and drew an outline by hand - like a new layer in paint.net and then saving only the new layer as jpeg. I thought I could import the jpeg into draftsight (imho the only cheaper alternative to autocad that works) but I couldn’t! So I made a grid in draftsight and exported the shape with grid, then overlaid that on my hand drawn outline.
    Didn’t again after I removed allergens gridlines I didn’t need and was able to draw the crucial points the points on the grid. I also mirrored my image in draftsight to ensure left and right side are the same, except for the cut-out. It’s not exact, lower bout is 5% less and probably similar mismatch for other parts, but I’m happy.
    Would you like I send you the dwg file? There are still a few things to check but it’s a good start and outline is good.
    I made my own f-holes by stretching dwg files from a double bass (after long deliberation I decided not to make a-holes)

Hi Eck

Sounds like a hell of a workaround. I think with Fusion 360 you could just import it directly. That being said I'm very disappointed that in Fusion 360 you cannot get the software draw a line around the outline of the body and turn that into a sketch line. It seems so simple and so much better than using splines.

Regarding your DWG file, I'd be happy to se it but I wont get the chance to do anything with it for some time.

I had a computer issue this week and came to the realisation my MacBook Pro hasn't got enough graphics to do CAD work. I've spent yesterday researching PC's.
    I've found a good spect so gettgin one orders. In the mean time I'm going to make templates the old fashioned way.

User Info Menu

I'd be interersted to know how this project is coming along?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    I'd be interersted to know how this project is coming along?
    Hey PP.

Yes was about to do an overdue update.

I've taken a detour over the last 2/3 weeks to focus on getting some media out. This means setting up a studio for photography, video and audio.
    I've cleared out part of a storage room and set something up that will hopefully do the job.
    It's been another steep learning curve.

I've also been taking movies every day on my iPhone, focusing on what I'm up to. I just need to get them up on my YouTube channel. I will start doing so tomorrow.

In regards to building guitars, that's on the back burner for a week or two more, until some more machinery arrives. It gives me a great window to get the media room and CAD design up and running. Hopefully when the tooling finishes arriving (march/April), I'll be able to get into real production.

I'm trying to make it as easy to record and post media as possible, whist achieving the highest quality of course. The best way I can think of doing this is putting everything through a mixer and sending that to a D/A converter (Irig duo), into the iPhone.
    If I can get good quality video using an iPhone 13 and filmicPro (a good camera app for the iPhone), I should be able to record the video and all the audio at the same time on the iPhone.
    So far the audio is working, I just need to make some tweaks.

I'd like to get the YouTube channel up and running with content about Archtops guitars and for this will coincide with the Archtop Heaven website, which I want to be a kind of online magazine.

It's all way too much work, I'll never have time to do it the way I want to but if I can get it rolling and get someone else involved that would be pretty good.

My main passion all these years is to build a YouTube video database of Archtops and built them. There has to be a business side to that in regards to selling used guitars as well as new ones and getting media together now helps me archive the Archtops I have and then pass them on, whilst getting new models in. Rinse and repeat.

No Going Back-1-3-jpegNo Going Back-1-2-jpegNo Going Back-1-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-4-jpegNo Going Back-1-5-jpegNo Going Back-1-6-jpegNo Going Back-1-7-jpegNo Going Back-1-8-jpegNo Going Back-1-9-jpegNo Going Back-1-10-jpegNo Going Back-1-11-jpeg

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone.

Been a couple of months since I made an update regarding the business.

I've been keeping my head down with lots going on.

So far things are going well but it has been tough. Amazingly I'm now semi competent in the use of CAD and Cam software and I can operate a CNC machine!

I have been taking lots of video and pics but working so hard, I don't find the time or energy to post them on YouTube. I'm also little bit shy so I don't feel excited about posting such things. I'm hoping to get more confident; It is an important part of marketing these days.

Oh almost forgot. The panel saw arrived and I bought a bigger vacuum press.

Here'a s selection of random pics.

No Going Back-1-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-2-jpegNo Going Back-1-3-jpegNo Going Back-1-4-jpegNo Going Back-1-5-jpegNo Going Back-1-6-jpegNo Going Back-1-7-jpegNo Going Back-1-8-jpegNo Going Back-1-9-jpegNo Going Back-1-10-jpegNo Going Back-1-11-jpeg

User Info Menu

Don't laugh at my cheesy transitions

User Info Menu

Amazing set up. How’s the sound of the studio? It looks a little untreated but then for a single guitar that doesn’t need to be an issue