Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 52 of 52

User Info Menu

Updates on the 'pre guitar building' journey.

Workshop is in great shape, nice and organised. It still needs a final organisation but that doesn't need to happen until I've started using it. Only then will I know where things and how things need to be. Till that point, I've got the space for the remaining tools and it's tidy.

I've been learning to use CAD software this week. I don't plan on being a professional CAD designer and I don't have the time to dedicate more than roughly two weeks, to getting the basics under my belt but so far, I've managed to come quite some way, due mostly to an excellent set of videos, I purchased on how to use Fusion 360.
    Fusion 360 seems pretty naff but if you work hard enough at it and don't mind some tedium, you can get a great result.

I've also organised the office out the front of the workshop which I was originally going to make into a guitar room for storing guitars, wood etc.. But after having tried to make the assembly bench I built in the assembly room my desk, the assembly room became more chaotic than necessary and so decided to make a dedicated office after all.

I've added some environmental controls to the workshop/office to keep the environment suitable for my wood stash. My wood supplier seems to dry their wood properly including air drying and I wouldn't want to ruin that. As we all know, well dried/seasoned wood is critical to making a stable instrument that plays well.
    I bought a humidifier and heat regulator system from Amazon called Ink bird. It's relatively cheap and seems to work well keeping the relative humidity at around 50% and the heat to around 20 degrees. I can change that to suite, recreating any environment.

Here are some shots of what I've been up to in Fusion 360. I'm building the Bendetto 17" archtop from Bob's own plans given in his book.
    Firstly you have to take Bob's plans and scan them into your computer. You can then take those scans and use them as a base drawing to make reference lines on. Once you've made the reference lines you can then start building your 3d model.
    I imagine at the rate of things, I should be able to build the entire guitar from scratch in about two weeks of study; that being 8 hours a day, at 5 days a week; so about 80 hours.

Here's the office.

No Going Back-1-1-jpeg

No Going Back-1-2-jpeg

Here is the Ink Bird Environmental control systems. They aren't properly mounted, this is just a rough set up. I have plugged two humidifiers into the humidity one and a radiator into the heating one. Both systems have sensors on a lead and I've placed the sensors at around the mid height of the room with the humidity one closer to the floor, as humidifiers increase the floor level of humidity more due to the weight of the vapour. I'm going to raise the humidifiers up to ceiling height, so more of the vapour has time to dissipate into the surrounding air before hitting the floor.

No Going Back-1-4-jpeg

No Going Back-1-3-jpeg

Here is a reference sketch I made in F360. The sketch is from Bob's book and you add reference points to dimension the sketch.

No Going Back-1-6-jpeg

Once you've dimensioned and put your reference points down you can then drag in other parts of Bob's plans. I've added here the A,B,C,D,E cross sections for the top. When that's been done I can start draping the top over them and that will give me the carved top.
    It's amazing how accurate you can get to the original. Essentially once I've finished this guitar will be almost identical to the drawing. Of course tuning the top is another thing all together but to get 95% of the way there is remarkable to witness.

No Going Back-1-5-jpeg
    Last edited by ArchtopHeaven; Yesterday at 08:15 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Som better pics of the little humidity control I'm testing out before investing in a bigger system for the assembly room.

Seems to work very well. I get humidity variables between 48.5% to 54%. I don't have to get involved once it's up and running except to change the water in the humidifiers.

So far I've not had to refill the water tanks for 3 days. I might actually need to change the water in order refresh it.

I thought it would be better to have two units as one causes the vapour to concentrate and two allows it to get spread out more evenly. Worth it considering each unit it is roughly £35

No Going Back-1-1-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-2-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-3-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-4-1-jpegNo Going Back-1-5-1-jpeg