The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I just found this really cool video on Jimmy making guitars. Looks old and don't think it has been out long very cool.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I just found this really cool video on Jimmy making guitars. Looks old and don't think it has been out long very cool.
    That's part one of the film The New Yorker Special by Fred Cohen. It's a wonderful documentary on Jimmy and his work. It was released in the early 80s, I believe. But I think most of the material was shot in the late 70s. Needless to say, it's been out for a number of decades, but it can be difficult to track down. Highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I’ve seen it before. Years ago. And the opening music and ending music is from the Jim Hall album Concierto.

User Info Menu

It was shown at the D'Angelico & D'Aquisto art exhibit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art on a continuous loop for the entire exhibit.

User Info Menu

I saw this video when I was a kid. Blew my mind. Some years ago I managed to videotape it in it’s entirety. I’ve since transferred it to dvd. I never get tired of watching it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Mark! I had never seen the first part of that video before. The second part has been on YouTube for several years. Very cool to see that.

The gig footage of Jim Hall is with Terry Clark and Don Thompson, the trio that was on his famous Live! album. That and the Volumes 2-4 released years later are among my very favorite jazz guitar recordings. It would be wonderful if more video of that gig was available, as well.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 08-28-2021 at 05:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting, d M!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting! Wonderful video.
    But the scene when he sprays Nitrolacquer on the guitar without wearing a mask makes me shudder

User Info Menu

That could not have contributed to good health....

User Info Menu

In the comment section on YouTube

"WOW. Thanks for sharing this! Way too short, of course, but we're lucky to have this much. Actually, I was fortunate enough to study with Jim Hall about 25 yrs ago, and we got to be kind of friends for that brief period to some degree. And I even got to try out the actual guitar being built and played in this video. (Flashback memories, OMG!) Happily, I had a black 1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite at the time (still have it), and honestly it came very close to Jim's real D'A."

User Info Menu

Never, ever gets old..

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark