The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
    Thought all might enjoy an insight into the creation of one of the Mirabella Crossfire Archtops.

Click on the link for the full details on TNAG's blog:

Mirabella Build Thread – The North American Guitar

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-98298c0a-98bc-4e16-96c7-8206a4cd34f1-jpeg Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-81403f99-f378-467c-b87d-2f6c1bff651a-jpeg

Hope you do enjoy and wishing all the best to everyone!

CM
    Attached Images Attached Images Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-9bf68467-b4c4-4f47-9ba8-155359d50d95-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing Cris - we don’t speak nearly enough about Mirabella guitars on this forum. Providing these pics give great insight to what’s under the hood of your instruments. The detail and thoughtfulness shines through clearly.

In addition to your brilliant restoration work , I find your design concepts to have such a cohesive flow -which culminates into an outcome of pure unique beauty.

Having played many guitars with the side openings - I would not order a guitar without this feature. It adds such a great sense of sonic intimacy for the player , without compromising any projection for the listener.

For those Interested - there is a Mirabella masterpiece on Reverb as indicated below. I happen to love round hole Archtop’s.

2015 Mirabella Oval Hole Archtop Blue Sunburst with Side | Reverb

along with a great Jazz electric laminate as well:

2015 Mirabella Jazz Moderne Electric | Mirabella Guitars and | Reverb

and a Mirabella Jazz electric beauty is also available at Larry’s :

2006 Mirabella Jazz Classic Blonde > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Laurence Wexer Ltd.

Hope all is well with you and the family Cris.

User Info Menu

Talk about exotic. That’s talent. Is that a closeable side port? Unreal. Did he have a floater made in the shape of the curve of the fretboard? Crazy good.

User Info Menu

What a tribute to Chris.

Mirabella – The North American Guitar

User Info Menu

The last time I played one of Cris' guitars, I was so inspired by it, I literally couldn't put it down!
    It's literally the best guitar I've found for playing solo guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabella
    Thought all might enjoy an insight into the creation of one of the Mirabella Crossfire Archtops.

Click on the link for the full details on TNAG's blog:

Mirabella Build Thread – The North American Guitar

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-98298c0a-98bc-4e16-96c7-8206a4cd34f1-jpeg Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-81403f99-f378-467c-b87d-2f6c1bff651a-jpeg

Hope you do enjoy and wishing all the best to everyone!

CM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Yeah, that's the one a friend of mine has. I couldn't stop playing it!

User Info Menu

I have two of Cris’ instruments. One is a 17” Non-Cutaway blond with soundports on the upper rim. It is outstanding in every way. There are many great luthiers and I place Mirabella among the best of the best! Bar none!

Albert
    Last edited by AKA; 06-24-2021 at 11:54 PM.

I'd like to just take a moment to thank all for the kind words regarding this post, my instruments and work.
    Especially, 2bornot2bop, sgcim, citizenk74, aka and QAman.
    As well as those that reached out to me through email.
    Again, thank you for your kind words and continuous support.

Cris - we don’t speak nearly enough about Mirabella guitars on this forum.
    Steve (QAman), I hope to remedy that and keep all up to date on the happenings at Mirabella Guitars and the new Archtops I am creating, by making a post from time to time to share when time and my schedule allow.
    Fellow luthier Bryant (Trenier) is very fortunate and I'm sure, very thankful that you regularly bring attention to all of his work on this forum.

Till next time, hoping all stay safe, stay well, find the happy moments in these crazy times and most of all....
    Keep playing!

Enjoy! CM

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-0b8300da-5cb0-4fe3-bc83-c6146567bc87-jpeg

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-8ddcc255-8a13-4168-b2d7-efc34336990e-jpeg

User Info Menu

Great to hear from you Cris - and from a peak inside your instagram account things appear quite busy at Mirabella guitars. It’s great to see your interpretation of the modern jazz Archtop - along with the row of DA’s in for restoration.

Your Jazz electric and Crossfire models are truly beautiful - and it would be nice to get some demo clips posted on the forum.

Here is a link to Cris Mirabella instagram - with photos of ongoing restorations and new creations.

Login • Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mirabella
    I

Enjoy! CM

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-0b8300da-5cb0-4fe3-bc83-c6146567bc87-jpeg

Mirabella build tread on The North American Guitar-8ddcc255-8a13-4168-b2d7-efc34336990e-jpeg
    Be still my beating heart!

User Info Menu

Gorgeous instruments - thanks for posting!

Marc

User Info Menu

Cris is the the supreme restorer of D'angelico's, although he could restore any guitar. This is the most exacting of work and Cris is THEE person to do it, nothing can compare. His guitars of course are fabulous and if you ever get a chance play one, or even better own one.

User Info Menu

Amazing works of art!
    I have an archtop with a side port, and it really improves the sound from the player's perspective. The sliding port covers on the Mirabellas are cool and beautifully done. But I'm wondering, why would you ever need to close the side ports?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Amazing works of art!
    I have an archtop with a side port, and it really improves the sound from the player's perspective. The sliding port covers on the Mirabellas are cool and beautifully done. But I'm wondering, why would you ever need to close the side ports?
    If you're doing a solo act and doing some singing you might want to close the ports to discourage feedback. The same would apply for in-between-songs patter.
    That sort of thing.

As Steve (QAman) suggested, Here are a few sound clips of the Crossfire Deluxe Acoustic Archtop Model as played by Jimmy Brewer for The North American Guitar in London.

Hope all enjoy!

But I'm wondering, why would you ever need to close the side ports?
    The side sound holes can be closed, and in so doing, will redirect the sound of the instrument as well as change the rigidity in the side.
    The varying result ( depending on how open or closed the door is) will be a change in the tonal response and overall voice of the instrument, giving the player a colorful range of tonal possiblities.

All the best!

User Info Menu

Here is another great video of a Mirabella guitar - you can hear a “church bell” like clarity in the voice. A gorgeous instrument at the highest level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I just had the pleasure of getting together with the friend I mentioned above, who owns two incredible Mirabellas, for the first time since the pandemic began, and we had one of our all day and all night duo jams.

He went from one Mirabella to the other, and the sound was as usual, exquisite. I couldn't stop looking at the intricacy of design in the Crossfire, which, IMHO, is also the finest guitar in the world to play solo guitar music on.
    The balance of sound across the entire board, the projection, and solid, strong sound of this great work of art are beyond belief.
    Cris is not only a great artist, but a great human being as well. My friend told me about the work he contributed for a survivor of the pandemic, who had spent three months in the hospital due to COVID-19.
    Since my brother just moved to Amityville, I probably would have been making the hang at Cris' shop more often, but as luck would have it, he's relocated to St. James.