The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I'm looking for an 8 string archtop / Jazzbox / Gibson 175 clone to convert to a 6 string. I am 6'6" with giant hands and long fingers to match.

I have such a beast in Strat. It's great!

Eastman makes a 7 string archtop, and it's in the running. But I've yet to find an 8 string. The Eastman will produce am E to E @ the bridge of 60.5 mm (roughly 2 3/8"). This might be fine. My giant Strat is a whopping 72 mm (2 3/4 @ the bridge). I'd need an 8 string "donor guitar" for that.

A 2.125" (2 1/8") nut is desired; the Eastman has that. So an 8 > 7 string for "donor guitar" is for fanning.

I can go to a luthier and pay 5K+ and wait a year. I'm new to guitar (sax since Nixon, keys since Woodstock). I'd like to avoid the luthier if possible, for both reasons.

Thanks!

- Jeff Newton p/k/a Saxophone Tall.

PS - I posted this in the general "guitars, amps" area, but perhaps this is a better spot?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez makes (or made?) some 7-string archtops that might be closer in sound to a 175 than the Eastman would. Don't know if you can still get them or not, but you might be able to find a used one.

Ibanez AFJ957 7-String Archtop Review - Premier Guitar

Ibanez Artcore Expressionist AFJ957 7-String Hollowbody | Reverb

Ibanez AAF207 7-String Archtop Electric Sunburst, 1997 | www.12fret.com

User Info Menu

Then again, there's always this bad boy.

James D’ Aquisto New Yorker 7-string | David Hurley | Reverb

User Info Menu

You're essentially looking for a very wide fingerboard 6 string? Or am I misunderstanding you completely? Do you WANT two extra tuners? Why not have one built by Yunzhi, or Mr Wu, or any of the Chinese custom shops? They'll build to spec, with the materials you want.
    Explain why an 8 string conversion, with the inherent replacement of tailpiece, bridge saddle, and nut, and extra tuning machines and maybe misaligned polepieces on a pickup arrangement, would be better than a wide spaced 6 string designed that way from the start? I'm just thinking that it's a lot of trouble for something with a dubious chance at success.
    The Chinese guitars are quite reasonable, especially when the guitar you seek will be somewhat of a compromise if you can find it at all.
    Good luck either way and I hope you find what you need!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I too have enormous hands.

In the past, I have converted 12 string guitars to wide-spaced 6 strings and have had custom made guitars with 48mm nut. I have never converted a 7/8 string.

I now only play classical nylon string guitars with 52mm nut.

Good luck, its a tough ask.

User Info Menu

Maybe order a custom?
    Or order a bridge and neck conversion to wider size and spacing?

By the way you might need a custom pickup if the spacing will be too much different from standard one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Fish
    I too have enormous hands.

In the past, I have converted 12 string guitars to wide-spaced 6 strings and have had custom made guitars with 48mm nut. I have never converted a 7/8 string.

I now only play classical nylon string guitars with 52mm nut.

Good luck, its a tough ask.
    Thanks, yes, it is! I want 54 mm nut and 72 mm E to E @ bridge, like my "electric classical" Strat type by Mark in England.

A 12 string might be easier, but I've only found ones with LESS than a 2" nut... You know of any with a 2" or better nut?

Also, what is the distance from E to E @ your bridges? 72 mm IS huge ... and I'm not really strumming. Maybe smaller for strumming is better?

HOW big are your hands? What's your reach on piano? I'm C to A (a minor third shy of 2 octaves).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Maybe order a custom?
    Or order a bridge and neck conversion to wider size and spacing?

By the way you might need a custom pickup if the spacing will be too much different from standard one.
    Yes, agreed. Can't seem to find anyone to do such a conversion for an archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saxophone Tall
    Thanks, yes, it is! I want 54 mm nut and 72 mm E to E @ bridge, like my "electric classical" Strat type by Mark in England.

A 12 string might be easier, but I've only found ones with LESS than a 2" nut... You know of any with a 2" or better nut?

Also, what is the distance from E to E @ your bridges? 72 mm IS huge ... and I'm not really strumming. Maybe smaller for strumming is better?

HOW big are your hands? What's your reach on piano? I'm C to A (a minor third shy of 2 octaves).

I’m not sure about the reach on a piano, but my pinkie to thumb tip measurement is 26cm.

8 String Archtop For Converting To 6 String?-60524182-c6c2-44da-9a01-9f5836a75ff6-jpg

You can also see here: